Scuba Diving, Sport or Hobby?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I googled Sport and there is a long definition with a few "sometimes" and "usuallys", leaving it somewhat up to how you wish to define or interpret it. Your opinion that we should stick to the accepted dictionary definition is valid, because the OP asked for our opinions. In my opinion football is definitely something that fits pretty much all of the dictionary's broad definition. I disagree with several posts and agree with others, thus my opinion.

I do not recall quoting you until now I do not think. I am just going to stick with the definitions provided in the dictionary and in the broad context of accepted defintions, SCUBA is a sport though it is not a game whereas football can be a sport but it most definitely is a game.

N

Recreational activity
Passion
Hobby
Sport
Addiction
Occassional distraction
I expect it is each of these things and more to different people and don't really see that it matters how divers describe their experience with it.

Recreational activity
Passion
Hobby
Sport
Addiction
Occassional distraction
I expect it is each of these things and more to different people and don't really see that it matters how divers describe their experience with it.

You forgot: OBSESSION!! :)

This same thread topic comes up every so often and then we all have an argument over diving being a sport, a hobby or something else.

Not is not a team sport but it is a sport and at the same time it is a hobby, a life style, an avocation.

Is rock and free climbing a sport? Is skydiving a sport? Is hunting a sport? If you narrowly define sports as requiring a team and some measurement of victory then I guess not.

I've never heard of the term "Sport" requiring a team, but some people (like my brother) define it as a competition with objective criteria for determining a winner. So he leaves out gymnastics, ice skating and diving, for example, while track and field, various team sports, etc are included. I include all of the above as "sports", but do agree with him that a "sport" implies competition at some level.

So for me, SCUBA diving is a hobby and a physical activity, recreational for me, professional for others, but not a sport...

Recreational activity
Passion
Hobby
Sport
Addiction
Occassional distraction

Pick two.......
Recreational activity
Hobby

I won scuba when I got this shot:
22796218617_77bd80cb8f_z.jpg

2mm green nudi on a green leaf. Macro + Diopter + Current. That's winning to me :)

I've never heard of the term "Sport" requiring a team, but some people (like my brother) define it as a competition with objective criteria for determining a winner. So he leaves out gymnastics, ice skating and diving, for example, while track and field, various team sports, etc are included. I include all of the above as "sports", but do agree with him that a "sport" implies competition at some level.

So for me, SCUBA diving is a hobby and a physical activity, recreational for me, professional for others, but not a sport...
I agree with you. By "objective criteria" I assume your brother means keeping score, as with say, basketball. So "subjective" criteria would be according to judges, thus gymnastics, skating, diving (not scuba) are left out according to him. Most would disagree on that, as I believe I would. But that's just another take on it, and as I mentioned, the Wikipedia definition is quite broad--I don't recall objective/subjective scoring being mentioned.

Considering some of the things I read here on Scubaboard, I'd consider diving to be a sport.

There are definitely divers who enjoy competing against the gas rules of physics.

Only in this sport it's the losers who get the 'prize' .. by way of the Darwin Awards. :)

Hobby, if it is a work out your doing it wrong and your gas will not last long.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom