Scuba Diving Survey Results

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Thanks to everyone who completed and/or shared the survey I posted back in January! I finally got around to start digging into the results. There were so many responses (>1,250 usable responses) I actually had to pony up $300 for an annual "Gold Level" subscription to the survey software just to be able to play with all the data.

Below are the straight up responses, which I promised to share. I intend to do some analyses and see what I might really find in here; in market research, simply looking at the answers is only the beginning. Preliminary crosstabulations seem to indicate that there are interesting trends when you cut each question by the others. (eg break out responses by age, dive experience, cert level, etc)

Unfortunately there are a few tremendously confounding artifacts/limitations of this study that will likely make drawing exquisitely refined conclusions very difficult.

Limitations include:
- Survey was only conducted among current, active divers who frequent scuba-related websites
- More than half of the respondents were from ScubaBoard
- The remainder of respondents were obtained from the survey being shared by divers on social media-
- Most of the social sharing of the survey skewed towards experienced tech/wreck/cold water divers
- In short, the methodology skewed heavily away from average recreational/warm-water divers

Artifacts caused by those limitations can be seen in the first few questions below, where you'll notice that respondents skew older, very experienced, and highly-certified. (More than 20% of respondents were Instructors.) Further, the results obviously contain few non-divers and likely zero "former" divers.

Many folks were confused/perplexed by a few of the questions, how they were worded, or simply wondered what "the purpose of the survey" was. The purpose was just to sort of poke around a bit to see what I could find. I do have a hypothesis that certain beliefs/perceptions held about scuba diving are highly variable. The specific methodology, analytics, and interpretation behind a few of the questions is proprietary in nature but I've included the straight-up responses here as well. Will be interesting to see what sort of conclusions people draw from the responses.

With that as introduction, here are the answers to the questions...

HowLongDiving2.png

CertLevel.png

HowManyDives.png

CurrentAge.png

AgeAtCert.png

Nervous.png

FirstConsidering.png

Experience.png

Adventure.png

AdvExpCrossTab.png

I look forward to the discussion - thanks again to everyone who took part!

Ray

Last edited:
Thanks for your work and expense in creating and sharing the survey, Ray. Your introductory comments provided a nice framework for understanding what followed.

My husband and I are within the smallest category for age when first becoming divers (49-64). I wonder about longevity. Heck, I found it interesting that the percentage of respondents in the number of years diving category dipped after 1-3 but went up in the 6-9 and the highest number was 20+ years. Of course I'm not looking at this from a professional perspective but it's fun to think about how these numbers may 'predict' my husband's and my diving future.

And I want to second the thanks! This is great information. :)

Good stuff, Ray. I'd be interested in seeing how some of those graphs look if the instructors (and maybe the DMs) were removed. I suspect more bell curves in age and longevity.

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heck, I found it interesting that the percentage of respondents in the number of years diving category dipped after 1-3 but went up in the 6-9 and the highest number was 20+ years.

Don't get fooled by the math!

The dip you mention makes perfect sense. Why? Because there are THREE years included in the "1-3 years" group (1, 2, and 3) only TWO years in the "4-5 years" group and FOUR years in the "6-9 years" group (6, 7, 8, and 9). As for the 20+ group... technically there's an INFINITE number of years in that group.

:D

---------- Post added February 22nd, 2014 at 06:57 PM ----------

Good stuff, Ray. I'd be interested in seeing how some of those graphs look if the instructors (and maybe the DMs) were removed. I suspect more bell curves in age and longevity.

Helps a little on some of the responses. Here's number of dives logged, with DM and up removed, which is now nicely shaped...

DiveNumbersNoPros.png

But number of dives makes sense to smooth out. However, there are STILL too many older divers in the survey. Witness age, and years diving...

NoInstDms.png

YearsNoPros.png

This will tend to skew any of the attitudinal responses.

Interesting results Ray… I can't believe you got 1,162 people to answer all the questions… that's a nice sized set!

Nice stuff!

It is interesting that your age bucket is 49 plus. Did you imagine it would be so full? Perhaps you should have chosen to center your data on a higher age or changed the choices to center the curve on the average age (which may be 50 or older).

Now that the survey is over, could you explain what you meany by scuba being an "experience"? Everything in life is an experience.

Now that the survey is over, could you explain what you meany by scuba being an "experience"? Everything in life is an experience.

At the risk of being flippant, you tell me. What do you think I meant? What do the data show?

Everything in life may be "an experience" in the denotative sense of the word, but that doesn't mean that everything in life is "an experience" in the connotative sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom