Scuba Doctors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suesan127

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I found this site by doing a google search. Anyway, I'd like to learn to scuba dive, but I take blood thinner for a blood clot I've had for about 3 years. Is there a directory somewhere of doctors who are familiar with scuba who can tell me whether or not I can scuba?

suesan127:
Hi Everybody,

I found this site by doing a google search. Anyway, I'd like to learn to scuba dive, but I take blood thinner for a blood clot I've had for about 3 years. Is there a directory somewhere of doctors who are familiar with scuba who can tell me whether or not I can scuba?
Call DAN (Divers Alert Network) they can recommend a local doctor for you.

I highly recommend calling DAN. I've also moved the question to the Diving Medicine forum so our medical moderators can answer for you as well. :)

suesan127:
Hi Everybody,

For information try www.scuba-doc.com

Guessing that you're on warfarin, there's no specific chemical problem with diving on that med that I'm aware of. I also haven't seen anything that contradicts diving after having a DVT. The concerns you should be having are the same as you have on land. Some divers get bloody noses while diving. You might scrape yourself on some coral. You might get caught in a fish hook. What you need to consider is whether you would be able to handle a bleeding situation underwater. It's not common, but being on a blood thinner raises the risks. Not trying to turn you away from diving (I wouldn't do that to anyone). If your doctor clears you, you may want to stick to shallow sites in case the situation were to arise so you could surface and attend to it. I'm not a doctor, so please take this as friendly advice only. Talk to your doctor and a dive medicine doc before you pursue the life.

Dive-aholic:
Guessing that you're on warfarin, there's no specific chemical problem with diving on that med that I'm aware of. I also haven't seen anything that contradicts diving after having a DVT. The concerns you should be having are the same as you have on land. Some divers get bloody noses while diving. You might scrape yourself on some coral. You might get caught in a fish hook. What you need to consider is whether you would be able to handle a bleeding situation underwater. It's not common, but being on a blood thinner raises the risks. Not trying to turn you away from diving (I wouldn't do that to anyone). If your doctor clears you, you may want to stick to shallow sites in case the situation were to arise so you could surface and attend to it. I'm not a doctor, so please take this as friendly advice only. Talk to your doctor and a dive medicine doc before you pursue the life.

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it!

Hi there, I am on Coumadin as well. I started taking it three years ago, following open heart surgery for a valve replacement. I have resumed diving and had no problems at all. You will need to be "extra" careful, but not overly so. Be sure to get checked by a physician before proceeding. I have a form that I get signed by my primary care physician, as well as my cardiologist, in case there is a problem with the dive shop. Be sure to get your blood levels checked immediately prior to departing for your dive trip. Enjoy diving! :wink:

Aeolus:
Hi there, I am on Coumadin as well. I started taking it three years ago, following open heart surgery for a valve replacement. I have resumed diving and had no problems at all. You will need to be "extra" careful, but not overly so. Be sure to get checked by a physician before proceeding. I have a form that I get signed by my primary care physician, as well as my cardiologist, in case there is a problem with the dive shop. Be sure to get your blood levels checked immediately prior to departing for your dive trip. Enjoy diving! :wink:

I've been on Coumadin (same reason) for 4+ years and log over 100 dives/year.
I've not had any problems resulting from this medication.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom