Scuba Economic SitRep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uraluni

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I don't typically dive much at PA's Dutch Springs, but when I do, I prepare for a fight for a few square feet of space (hopefully around a table).

My wife and I went there this past weekend (4th of July weekend), and saw that the quarry was borderline deserted.

We usually go there, expecting to haggle with someone to get some table space to put our tanks on while we suit up.

This weekend, we expected the place to be crammed with divers, getting their wet on for the 4th.

But...we saw LOTS of open space. A staggering amount. Was it just that not many people go to Dutch during the July 4 weekend, or is it that not many people are diving anymore?

I don't think that the Dutch celebrate the Fourth of July.

There are still vacancies here in the Upper Keys. This economy seems to be getting worse right now

That's because they are all down here at the Shore...:depressed:

well, there's no doubt the 'go-go' years marked by the real estate market that peaked in 2006 and the stock market, that peaked in 2007, are dead! The US official unemployment rate is about 10% and the 'real' unemployment rate is more like the 15 - 20% rate......major personal income (federal) taxe rate increases are scheduled for 2011....federal/state deficits are exploding...the US stock market is down over 10% so far this year (impacting 401K's and other retirement accounts). Scuba is a rich man's sport, especially if distant travel is involved) highly discretionary and easy to cut from the family budget....moreover, the general health of the world's oceans/reefs is in major decline, meaning one has to spend ever increasing amounts of $ to travel to ever remoter exotic dive locations to actually see any quality diving, the pickings are getting ever slimmer.

This weekend, we expected the place to be crammed with divers, getting their wet on for the 4th.

While I'm sure the economy doesn't help, Dutch is historically not very crowded on holiday weekends. Daily attendance is typically much lower than any ordinary weekend, and I'm guessing the reason is three-fold:
  1. Other family/social engagements conflict with diving; for most folks a day of diving is preceded (and followed) by spousal complaining about how much time the diver spends away from the rest of the family, etc, etc (Or maybe I'm just projecting MY situation.)
  2. Holiday travel/vacation draws many local people elsewhere for the entire weekend; down the shore, up in the mountains, etc
  3. For anyone left that might head to Dutch, the three-day weekend dilutes the typical "two-day" weekend crowd by allowing it to be spread out over three days instead of cramming them into two days.

Wish I could have been up there this weekend because my LDS (The Scuba Connection in Hillsborough NJ) puts on a great BBQ all weekend - plenty of food, diving, and great people!

We were there July 4th weekend in 2005 - it was not very busy at all, when I asked the staff said that holiday weekends are just not busy there.....

A big part is students and instructors want time off to be family and attend the celebrations......

M

But...we saw LOTS of open space. A staggering amount.

At Pearl Lake, one of the two larger inland places for Chicago divers... absolutely dead this weekend, as well. In the 1970's, the July 4th period was packed with divers and semi-naked folks dancing around the campfires primed with beer long into the night.

Not no more.

I don't typically dive much at PA's Dutch Springs, but when I do, I prepare for a fight for a few square feet of space (hopefully around a table).

My wife and I went there this past weekend (4th of July weekend), and saw that the quarry was borderline deserted.

We usually go there, expecting to haggle with someone to get some table space to put our tanks on while we suit up.

But...we saw LOTS of open space. A staggering amount. Was it just that not many people go to Dutch during the July 4 weekend, or is it that not many people are diving anymore?

From a local perspective, only living a few miles from DS, it was just too damn hot that weekend (95+) to put on 7mm's + hoods, etc. and fight my way down the incline and then back up.

Crowds there (coolers on the tables) are a whole other story.

well, there's no doubt the 'go-go' years marked by the real estate market that peaked in 2006 and the stock market, that peaked in 2007, are dead! The US official unemployment rate is about 10% and the 'real' unemployment rate is more like the 15 - 20% rate......major personal income (federal) taxe rate increases are scheduled for 2011....federal/state deficits are exploding...the US stock market is down over 10% so far this year (impacting 401K's and other retirement accounts). Scuba is a rich man's sport, especially if distant travel is involved) highly discretionary and easy to cut from the family budget....moreover, the general health of the world's oceans/reefs is in major decline, meaning one has to spend ever increasing amounts of $ to travel to ever remoter exotic dive locations to actually see any quality diving, the pickings are getting ever slimmer.

Wow... Thanks for the downer. I was feeling pretty good it being a Friday afternoon and all. Now I think I'll just go home and sulk all weekend. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom