"scuba" FAQ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Purofino

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
Being a newbie, I was looking for an FAQ on scuba in general, i.e. differentiating between BC types, other general equipment differences and defining acronyms. The FAQ link just explains how to use the board features. I tried a search and always get hits for any messages with the terms I use. Is there anything like I'm looking for and I am just blind or does it not exist?

Thanks in advance,
Purofino

Your correct that we don't have one here....

The reason we don't have anything that explains the differences between one model of BC/Reg/Fin/Snorkel is that there is almost too much to keep up with. Plus we are trying to be fair to all manufacturers and not show partiality.

As far as acronyms, just ask away as to which ones you want to know about and we'll be happy to assist you.

http://www.scubasource.com

1st thing, THERE ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS HERE. You can ask any question and get a civilized answer without fear of being put down or flamed.

Now..............

Down at the bottom of the page on the right-hand side is a topic

"Say What"

This is a list of scuba acronyms, if you don't find what you're looking for there just ask. It it fairly complete and even some I didn't know of.

Hope this helps

ID

Thanks a ton all of you. The links provided exactly what i was lookking for. I wasn't so much concerned with reviews and ratings though that is useful too. I was wanting to be able to figure out the difference in general styles of gear, i.e. BCs--back plates, wings etc. The 'Say what' link is very good. Now I have a source to reference instead of always asking posters to explain themselves. It will make this board all the more useful to me.

Thanks again,
Purofino

:thumb:

Originally posted by DivePartner1
For some comparisans of qualities ala Consumer Reports, try Rodale's Scuba Diver:
With al due respect to Rodale's, any comparison to Consumer Reports is misleading, inappropriate and totally unwarranted. CR accepts no advertising and does not derive any revenues from the industries it reports on. The same is not true of Rodale's Scuba Diving. Their articles are pretty good, but they sure aren't Consumer Reports.

The only diving publication that is anything at all like CR in some ways is Undercurrent, only it doesn't test equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom