Scuba Gadgets - what's great and what's not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I put this in the Advanced section, because I know it is likely to produce some strong feelings and debate.

I don't think I am the only diver that's looked around a dive store and wondered at the amazing assortment of gadgets available. Some of them are great. Others not so. Some could even be debated as having negative safety implications.

What I see as a relatively common trend is that many novice divers become very eager to 'improve' their gear configurations and start adding a variety of gadgets to their arsenal without much clear knowledge on the pros and cons of those gear choices. Over-zealous or even misleading marketing helps contribute to those gear choices...

So folks... I am interested in your experiences and views. What 'gadgets' would you rate highly? What gadgets do you feel are worthless, dangerous or simply a waste of money?

I'll start:

GREAT GADGETS :D

Fin Spring Straps. They don't break. They fit snuggly. They make it really easy to remove and replace your fins.

SS Bolt Snaps. Tie them to your equipment and SPG using braided nylon line. They are robust, secure and they do exactly what you need of them.

Velcro Mask Straps. They won't perish and snap. Once adjusted they will fit perfectly. They don't drag your hair. They make mask removal and replacement a cinch.

Neck Oct/AAS Bungee. Effectively secures your AAS where it won't drag or release. Provides an immediate self-rescue if your primary fails. Enables primary reg donation, if required.

Milflex Regulator Hoses. Robust, flexible and less prone to failure. A good upgrade to your regulator set.

Finger Reel. Allows the diver to more easily deploy a DSMB. Can be used for navigation and penetration. Lightweight, robust and cheap. Unlike any other type of reel, there won't be tears and sobbing if you have to leave it behind or lose it.

Wet Notes. You don't use a slate to make notes on dry land. You don't use an etch-a-sketch either. You use a notebook. Why not use a (waterproof) notebook on dives?? It makes sense..

BAD GADGETS :shakehead:

Dry Snorkels. Over-complicated, over-expensive and make it harder to clear the snorkel.

Purge Masks. Over-expensive and prone to getting dirty. They require the user to make the same effort to clear the mask, as they would without the purge valve.

Retractor Clips. An expensive method of compensating for a badly configured scuba set-up. Prone to tangling and can fail via 'birds nest' inside the mechanism.

Spare Air. An expensive non-solution, based upon marketing which preys on diver's fears and offers them false hope. Sometimes seen as the 'lazy diver's' alternative to a pony.

Hose Swivels. Expensive compensation for a bad regulator set-up. Adds complexity with little benefit. Same benefit could be realised by properly routing hoses, better mouth-piece etc

Tank Bangers. Fellow divers will hate you when you use these. Audible underwater signals are not a compensation for proper buddy awareness. For emergency signalling, they won't provide a clue of where you are.

Underwater Klaxons/Horns. A good choice for surface emergency signalling. Some divers buy these for use underwater. If so...see 'Tank Bangers'.

Mini-Reels. Do the same job as finger reels, but are more difficult to use and more prone to birds-nesting and jams. Much more expensive too.

Etch-a-sketch slates. Huge, cumbersome and ungainly. They do the same job as a regular slate, but at triple the cost.

Bulb AAS holders. They don't work well. They release the AAS to dangle.

Coiled Tethers. They look like old-fashioned telephone wires. They tangle and generally annoy. They are expensive.

Caribiners. Do the same job as bolt-snaps, but not as well. The tech community calls them 'suicide clips'...for good reason.

'HD' or filtered Masks. Sunglasses for underwater. Why?

Scuba 'Shakers'. Annoying in the extreme. If you need these to get your buddies attention, then you have bigger issues to address.

If leading dive groups, I think the Etch-a-sketch slate is useful for passing on ID's of various wildlife due to the ability to constantly re-use.

Also, I'd add tank-bangers as useful when dealing with students. I'm sure several items are better as teaching aids then standard things to dive with.

GREAT GADGET:

Hi-Vis Line: Easier to see and follow and deconflicting from other's line. Cheap.

Well as a DM I've suggested tethering them all together... with cave line and bolt snaps of course, no retractors!

I love my dry snorkel. I got snorkeling at a spring, and often do free dives to the opening. With my dry snorkel, there's no need to clear it when I get to the surface, I can just breathe. For diving with scuba gear, it's a give or take, but it's all I have.

Best little gadget I got? Spring straps!!!!

I like you 'Great' list. I will add:
Pockets, sewn and glued on my wetsuit. I realize that pockets may not be considered by all to be 'gadgets', but I really like them.
Double-enders, which are great for securing items I stow in my pockets
Bicycle inner tube sections / surgical tubing loops, great for streamlining.
Folding snorkel, which I stick in a pocket on my exposure suit. I meet 'standards', I have a snorkel, and I don't have the entanglement risk that a fixed position snorkel creates.
A 'Goodman glove', worn on my right hand, and used with a small LED light, when I don't want to carry my can light.
A few comments:
Neck Oct/AAS Bungee. Definitely a great idea. I don't particularly like the commercial, rubber ones at all (they slip off, unless you add a tie-wrap) and prefer the double-knot bungee approach.
BAD GADGETS
Agree with your selections, with two possible caveats.
Retractor Clips. I struggle with this one. On one hand, having managed to wrap an 'unretracted' retractor line around the prop of my scooter once, I see the bad side. On the other, I have attached one to the end of the gauge console on my pool reg, and clipped the distal end to the bottom of my BCD, and I like being able to pull the console up for a check of my SPG, and have it retract back to a more streamlined position.
Hose Swivels. I disagree with this one, at least for sidemount rigs. Swivels are great for facilitating routing in that configuration.

Good additions to the list :D

I've thought of a folding snorkel for exactly the same reasons - meeting instructor standards. I wouldn't use it for my own diving though. In the end, I just opted to bungee my snorkel to my backplate, thus I am 'equipped'. :wink:

Surgical tubing, double-enders and zip-ties... absolutely invaluable. I didn't count them as gadgets...but seeing as they can do most of the jobs done by gadgets that cost exponentially more cash...yes, they should be on the list!

Pockets! Yes, damn...I should have included them! I have pockets on my wetsuit and drysuit. I would include x-shorts in the list, but haven't used them myself - so thought it might be fair if others add them.

I've not seen the 'Goodman Glove' yet, but in concept it should be a good idea. Trouble is, some gadgets are good in concept, but not in practice. I guess it'd depend on the quality and design of the glove. :)

Back
Top Bottom