Scuba in schools??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ECU has a rather large scuba program. NCSU has a really good one as well although it is slightly disconnected from the science departments but that is changing very quickly. FSU does as well. Most schools with marine biology and marine archaeology have fairly large scuba programs because for a lot of research the students are required to dive.

Our shop has been teaching at Louisiana Tech University for at least 15 years maybe longer. For the past six years I have been teaching with three other instructors.

This quarter we have 44 OW, 3 Rescue and 1 Advanced. Three years ago we had over 60 in the OW class. We had to break the class into two sections it was so large.

We have got to be the biggest Health and Physical Education program that is a total elective. Not bad for a landlocked school without a marine science program.

saint lawrence university has a marine biology program
professor was also a non-teaching instructor
he would take the class to st. somewhere each year on a coral study snorkling class
we asked to take it to the next level,and get scuba involved...
it has been a win-win for all involved!!!!
they now have a scuba club,and do studies in local waters with invasive species,etc.
...and working with the kids is an absolute riot!!!!

I know of only one guy to have a diving psysiology degree that was from U.C. Santa Barbara (I think).

Santa Barbara City College is the only school with a real diving program that I am aware of. All the other postings are about marine bio and science programs that accept scuba as one course of their program so you have the tool to get to the job site. Oh, and there is Louisiana Technical College (aka Young's Memorial) that has a Commercial Diver training program.

If you are talking just strict scuba or diving go check out Commercial Diving Academy in Jacksonville, FL. They have a scuba program that will run you all the way through instructor rating.

Just for some history: I learned SCUBA is a PE class in college (State University College @ Oneonta, NY) in 1989 - YMCA certified. It is sad to say the program no longer exists. Best $20.00 lab fee I ever spent!!!!!!!!

Thanks everybody! I didn't realize people were actually responding to this because I didn't receive a notification from scubaboard (I'm new to it). I went to University of Miami and we had a scuba program there is well.

What about high schools? Do you know of any? I run a nonprofit that teaches students from low-income communities science through scuba diving, so I'm interested in learning of different programs that are out there. We're based in Brooklyn and I know the NY Harbor School has a very highly regarded program that incorporates scuba into the curriculum. Know of anything else?

saint lawrence university has a marine biology program
professor was also a non-teaching instructor
he would take the class to st. somewhere each year on a coral study snorkling class
we asked to take it to the next level,and get scuba involved...
it has been a win-win for all involved!!!!
they now have a scuba club,and do studies in local waters with invasive species,etc.
...and working with the kids is an absolute riot!!!!

I will be there for reunion in June--any chance of a meeting to just chat?

What about high schools? Do you know of any? I run a nonprofit that teaches students from low-income communities science through scuba diving, so I'm interested in learning of different programs that are out there. We're based in Brooklyn and I know the NY Harbor School has a very highly regarded program that incorporates scuba into the curriculum. Know of anything else?

High Schools are more problematic than colleges because of fears surrounding insurance, liability, etc. A lot of schools would be afraid to take something like this on for those reasons. You can do much better at private schools than public schools for that reason. I firmly believe a marine biology course taught with scuba is a winner of an idea, but you will need the right combination of circumstances to make that fly.

Thanks, John!

Yes, there certainly are a lot of challenges to getting public schools on board (pun intended) with scuba. If you get a chance, check out our program, The Schooba Academy (The Schooba Academy). It's an after school program that teaches students from low-income communities science through scuba diving. We have our own insurance, pool setup, etc. so it's a lot easier for us to work with schools in that respect.

Thanks for your posting!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom