Scuba Insurance in Thailand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

conundrum

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi. I'm looking for insurance agency for SCUBA diving that effective in Thailand. Please suggest me (I'm Thai citizen).

For DAN, I heard that they got bad reputation about evacuating victim to medical facility. Is it real or the problem has been solved?

Thanks all.

DAN seems to be the right way to go in my opinion and I never heard of problems with them not trying to pay or deny transportation if insured. Just make sure that get the correct insurance that covers all of your angles.

Hi. I'm looking for insurance agency for SCUBA diving that effective in Thailand. Please suggest me (I'm Thai citizen).

For DAN, I heard that they got bad reputation about evacuating victim to medical facility. Is it real or the problem has been solved?

Thanks all.

I've been insured with DAN (South East Asia Pacific) for quite a few years and needed hyperbaric treatment a couple of years ago. After contacting DAN and discussing my symptoms DAN recommended me to get hyperbaric treatment and paid for all the costs involved.
In my case I didn't need to be evacuated (I went to the hyperbaric facility myself) so do not know about any problems with paying for ambulance and other evacuation transportation.

If you do not want to insure yourself with DAN then there are other options. Just Google "scuba diving insurance" and a whole list of insurance companies will pop up to choose from. Another option is to visit your local hyperbaric facility (if there is one!) and ask them what they recommend.

Yes, DAN.

Presuming you're Thai and have medical insurance, also check that insurance. Quite often diving accidents, including hyperbaric chamber treatments, will be covered under that policy.

Note the "depth" of coverage as well. I believe DAN coverage is to 30m.

Arizona,

I think you get what you pay for :-

Preferred Plan
coverage for all covered in-water skin and scuba diving injuries occurring at any depth+,

Master Plan
coverage for all covered in-water skin and scuba diving injuries occurring at any depth+,

Standard Plan
coverage for decompression illness+ (both AGE and DCS) incurred within the 130-foot depth limit.

It is THB 6400 for the best cover they provide

I read in ADM that even some of world record attempts (deepest dive, deepest wreck dive) were covered by DAN?

Last edited:
I took the second option and also have the Willis plan for PADI Pro Combined Liability. I taught in the US this summer and it was required to have insurance of this type. Considering how reasonable the Willis policy is I will keep it even though not required in Thailand for instructors.

I know Conundrum is an instructor and wonder if this is something in addition to medical diving insurance he is interested in?

Arizona,

I think you get what you pay for :-

Preferred Plan

Master Plan

Standard Plan
coverage for decompression illness+ (both AGE and DCS) incurred within the 130-foot depth limit.

It is THB 6400 for the best cover they provide

I read in ADM that even some of world record attempts (deepest dive, deepest wreck dive) were covered by DAN?

Just a quick point on this, I thought DAN covered you to any depth you were trained to? i.e an open water diver getting hurt on a 50 meter dive may well not find themselves covered?

And for OP - I also am with DAN, and have never seen anything bad about them, but lots and lots of good reports.

Sorry, DAN Asia Pacific cover is slightly different:-

The DAN Standard Plan (1) offers coverage for medical charges for decompression illness (DCI), which includes both arterial gas embolism (AGE) and decompression sickness (DCS) sustained on a dive or a Repetitive Dive Series to a maximum depth of 40 metres.

The DAN Master Plan (3) provides coverage for medical charges for decompression illness and all covered in-water injuries) sustained on a dive or a Repetitive Dive Series to a maximum depth of 50 metres.

The DAN Preferred Plan (2) provides coverage for medical charges for a Diving Accident sustained on a dive to any depth, provided that the Member held appropriate certification for the dive, and was using appropriate breathing gas mixes and equipment during the dive or Repetitive Dive Series.

Highly recommended as those medivac & chamber costs are by no means cheap :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom