Scuba listed as one of the 5 most expensive hobbies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for posting that link.

I've found I spend as much money as possible on whatever hobby I'm into. So it doesn't really matter what it is (within reason).

Like Doc said though, I've got a couple friends in auto racing clubs -- a new set of high-performance tires for each track weekend = $$$.

I agree: what a stupid article. I can think of many hobbies that cost more than Scuba... Horses, Golf, Boats, Hot Air Balloons, Hunting, Building 1/4 scale railroads... the list is endless.

Really? It was almost a grand for two new tanks this year....... that doesn't even count for an air card, or any diving......

Really? It was almost a grand for two new tanks this year....... that doesn't even count for an air card, or any diving......

And don't forget your Sea Drops Platinum (gently blotted from the inner thighs of naked virgin Swedish divemistresses)

I agree: what a stupid article. I can think of many hobbies that cost more than Scuba... Golf.... the list is endless.

You, and most any other Scoober Diver is too young for golf.

My daughter barrel races, she is sixteen participating in MRCA rodeo's and that is a lot more expensive than scuba. look at transportation to rodeos that can be 300 miles away, hotels or a trailer with living quarters. entry fees, farrier services, feed, vet bills. All this for a hobby And as stated before golf, or off roading can be way more than scuba.

Well, they are right in that it's expensive--but their facts are off and they make some gross generalizations.

I just plopped down about $2000 in new gear over the last month (I took an intro to tech course and am converting everything over). I pretty much just have my BC replaced with a backplate and wing, replaced my octopus with a better regulator, switched out the hoses so I could have a long hose and necklace, and replaced my console computer with a wrist mounted one and a wrist mounted compass, and got new fins. And I am no where near finished! But I think I am finished for this year--so I kind of have a hybrid thing going on--but at least I have what I need to practice basic skills like kicks and getting used to the gear setup before I get into anything more serious like deco diving or technical EANx or something.

And I guess I am not a "serious" diver because I like to dive wrecks, have a few planned off the coast of Maryland, Virginia, and North Carolina this summer. I mean, tropical locations are fine, but not really my cup of tea (unless you count places like Chuuk).

It is as expensive or cheap as you make it, just like other activities. Some have to have the latest and greatest gear and exotic foreign dive trips while others can be fine with used gear and local diving.

that article is really misleading and quite obvious that whoever wrote it didn't bother to do any research, i wonder where they got their figures from lol
i just sent them a message with details

where is the cost of the dives, air/nitrox fills, yearly equipment maintenance?

I think the article is largely based on renting gear, which is the bare minimum for scuba diving and should be compared to the $200 ballroom dancing dress instead of the of the $1000 dress.

Personally, I am a fully outfitted diver and still spent $1200 on gear to add to my kit last weekend (argon system, 02 stage, regulator, and some other stuff) :)

Nowhere. Most likely the author hasn't seen a dive center in his life. (It's also veryfied by his GBR example, where he scares with travel costs while it is well known that a liveaboard costs 2-5x more). Where his estimate of 500$ gear came from I have no idea... If you pick the cheapest from everything, you will be well around 1k$ - of course, 2nd hand one can get away much cheaper. But is it really that much? Hello, the dollar doesn't have the same value as in the 50's, 60's... How much does a smoker spend on cigars in a year? How much do we pay for filling our car's tank? How much do we pay during holiday in a hotel (yikes, god save me from some countries accomodation prices!)?

A hobby is something we LIKE to do. If the author rather saves his greenbacks and waits until inflation or the next market crash takes it away, he can do so. His choice... But pushing healthy activities into luxury territory, based on inadequate research is simply silly.

that article is really misleading and quite obvious that whoever wrote it didn't bother to do any research, i wonder where they got their figures from lol
i just sent them a message with details

where is the cost of the dives, air/nitrox fills, yearly equipment maintenance?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom