Scuba Pro M2 - Oceanic OCi - Teric

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Stock

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I started diving in the early 80's before computers, we used a watch, slate and math. ha. Dove all the time, probably an easy 1,500, but we never kept track and there where no certifications past "open water" back then, at least that I knew of. So I'm getting back into it, catching up and taking classes to get "certified". I want a watch I can grow into and that will include going deep (wrecks), dual tank, nitrox etc... I will also use this as a daily sometimes when I'm on my boat.

-M2 reads well, but I don't see a lot out there about it?

-OCi I like because I can choose between Pz and Dsat.

-Teric Is it really better? The display is great, but battery issues.

I leave for Greece in two months, so I want to get one and use it local in Philadelphia/NJ now to get used to it before I go.

THANKS EVERYONE! If you are in Philly, I'll buy a beer.

I can't really speak to the M2.

I have an Oceanic Atom 3.0 which is functionally about the same as the OCi. And I have 2 Terics.

I think the Teric is way better than the Oceanic. The Teric is WAAYY easier to read - especially in any low visibility situation. The Teric compass is, in my opinion, the current Gold Standard for electronic compasses. The Teric algorithm, with Gradient Factors, allows me to run it more conservative, like PZ+, or more aggressive, like DSAT.

Either one will do deep and nitrox just fine. Neither one cares whether you are diving a single tank or doubles. If you are diving sidemount (i.e. 2 separate tanks), the Teric is better because you can have a transmitter on each tank and see both tank pressures at the same time. The Oceanic will only show you one tank pressure at a time (presuming here that the OCi works just like the Atom in that regard - could be wrong).

The Teric battery has not been an issue for me at all yet. If I just use it for diving (and not wearing it all day), it will last me somewhere close to a week, diving 2 dives per day. I just put it on the wireless charger next to my bed every couple of days when on a trip. If I'm going somewhere just for 2 or 3 days of diving, I probably wouldn't even take the charger with me. Worst case, if I needed to charge it, I could use the wireless charging pad that I use for my phone when I'm traveling.

If you're planning to "grow into" decompression diving, then I think the Teric is the only realistic choice of the 3.

Thanks Stuart. That helps a lot. I like that the OCi could be conservative or liberal, but, I wil be using 2 tanks at some point and didn't know about that limit with OCi.

The M2 is intriguing because of its adaptive heart rate and potential long dive time. Just seems NO one actually has one!

I can't really speak to the M2.

I have an Oceanic Atom 3.0 which is functionally about the same as the OCi. And I have 2 Terics.

I think the Teric is way better than the Oceanic. The Teric is WAAYY easier to read - especially in any low visibility situation. The Teric compass is, in my opinion, the current Gold Standard for electronic compasses. The Teric algorithm, with Gradient Factors, allows me to run it more conservative, like PZ+, or more aggressive, like DSAT.

Either one will do deep and nitrox just fine. Neither one cares whether you are diving a single tank or doubles. If you are diving sidemount (i.e. 2 separate tanks), the Teric is better because you can have a transmitter on each tank and see both tank pressures at the same time. The Oceanic will only show you one tank pressure at a time (presuming here that the OCi works just like the Atom in that regard - could be wrong).

The Teric battery has not been an issue for me at all yet. If I just use it for diving (and not wearing it all day), it will last me somewhere close to a week, diving 2 dives per day. I just put it on the wireless charger next to my bed every couple of days when on a trip. If I'm going somewhere just for 2 or 3 days of diving, I probably wouldn't even take the charger with me. Worst case, if I needed to charge it, I could use the wireless charging pad that I use for my phone when I'm traveling.

If you're planning to "grow into" decompression diving, then I think the Teric is the only realistic choice of the 3.

Thanks Stuart. That helps a lot. I like that the OCi could be conservative or liberal, but, I wil be using 2 tanks at some point and didn't know about that limit with OCi.

The M2 is intriguing because of its adaptive heart rate and potential long dive time. Just seems NO one actually has one!

Hi Chris,

Personal Reference:

Stuart has some sort of math/analytical/programing training in real life. His opinions as expressed on SB are always rational and analytical. I would trust his opinion and equipment choices. I doubt he dives Terics because of an emotional-plane or impulse-buy decision.

thanks,
markm

The battery life on the Teric is the killer for me. I have an OCi and I am very happy with it. I would happily trade the colorful display of the Teric for a battery you only have to think about once a year instead of every night.

The battery life on the Teric is the killer for me. I have an OCi and I am very happy with it. I would happily trade the colorful display of the Teric for a battery you only have to think about once a year instead of every night.

Hi scrane,

This was my experience with Teric computers in Curacao as I witnessed the Shearwater "loaners" going from diver to dvier:

You don't have to charge the battery every night.

A pleasure,
markm

I can live without the display, but I've heard great things about it being very easy to read in any many conditions. The battery IS the one thing that scares me. I would like to wear it for everyday use while on vacation or boating over a long weekend without having to charge it all the time.

Yes, but I bet you have to think about it every night.

Yeah but not but Vicky Pollard ..... Wrong!
Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 11.44.52 am.png
You don't need to think about it every night. Try every 3-6 depending on how you use it assuming 3-4 dives/day. I won't repeat the whole of my text from another post correcting you on this but here's the link: Testing New OCi Watch & Transmitter (post#25).

Vicky Pollard?
Thanks for correcting me. It takes some pressure off my wife.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom