Scuba Pro M2 - Oceanic OCi - Teric

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can live without the display, but I've heard great things about it being very easy to read in any many conditions. The battery IS the one thing that scares me. I would like to wear it for everyday use while on vacation or boating over a long weekend without having to charge it all the time.

Hey Chris, thought I would chime in on this for you. Check the link below and you can see a side by side view of the OCi and Teric. I dive with both computers.
Teric Review

I think we kind of of had the same mentality on the daily use of the DC. I wanted to use it while coaching, teaching and diving. How long will the battery last, year well a few days at most if you baby it. Last weekend I was in Key Largo and hit 9 dives from 35 feet to 127 feet. Charged the unit on Friday then set it to off until Dives on Saturday. I then turned off the computer when ever I was not using it. By Sunday night I was down to 22%. That said, my OCi battery is 3 years old.

There are 2+1 things I do not like about the Teric, Battery, Alarm and Bright sun light. We talked about the Battery, the Alarm is a frequency that I can not hear and the +1 is Screen like a cell phone, under certain lighting I can not see it.

Now What I like, about the Teric EVERYTHING. Except fort the Cobalt 2 (which I sold for the Teric) The Teric is the easiest dive computer I have ever used. This is thing is fantastic. So many options for setting up the display. I usually display Air for 2 tanks, Dive time (Captains get made missing retrieval time)

Prior to the Teric I had a Zoop, Cobalt 2 (my favorite when working), Veo, Helo 2, and the OCi. Everyone of these Computers died and was sent in under warranty for repairs (Cobalt three times). Based off reviews, Shearwaters are the most reliably computers. Teric is my first and So far I agree. I still dive with the OCi but as a backup. Between when I can not see the Teric (usually lake dives training students) the OCi is visible. In some zero viz dives, I could not see the OCi, but the Teric was Perfect. I also listen to the OCi Alarms.

Another benefit with the Shearwater is they are committed to keeping the DC updated, rumors are a feature updated coming soon. OCi has not been updated in years. Basically it is the Aqualung DC now.

The Battery is the one major thing, but if I had to buy 1, I get the Teric again. I am all about reliability.

Teric Review

Side note, I used a 5 year old Nokia Phone qi charger to charge this thing, took longer, but worked.

I'm an OC single tank rec diver and have used Suunto Cobra, Aqua Lung 100, Oceanic Atom 3.0/3.1. Currently have the Shearwater Teric and Perdix AI. Its a very clear choice why I ended up with the last two as my final stop of dive computers. Shearwater is clearly head and shoulders above the competition. From there software to hardware, you can always rely on it working. The true fail safe is Shearwaters customer service. There are faces to put with names, not like many of the current manufacturers in the dive industry. When you need an answer, they will be right there to help. Sure the cost may be a bit more but the overall experience using both computers is worth every penny for me.

- Easy to use menus
- Displays are amazing in and out of the water
- Battery life is fine. I wear my Teric as an everyday watch. I drop it on the charger once a week after work and its charged before I go to sleep.
- Great customer service

There are 2+1 things I do not like about the Teric, Battery, Alarm and Bright sun light. We talked about the Battery, the Alarm is a frequency that I can not hear and the +1 is Screen like a cell phone, under certain lighting I can not see it.

Hearing the alarm is something I've struggled with too. I'm still experimenting. I can hear other computer's alarms. I can hear the Teric's in a pool regardless of if it's on the inside of my wrist or in regular position, but at depth I often seem to not hear it.

One could make a good argument, who really need any alarms if you are paying attention. I have had all my alarms disabled for many years on my computers.

From Shearwaters Website - Teric, The Watch that Transforms You. Or the Shearwater promotional video promoting it as an all around watch for multiple activities, hiking, and skydiving…. and the original posted stated, he wanted to use it for other things then diving.

Sorry for the rant, but I really dislike the statement of, if you dive right you do not need an alarm. Crap happens, things go wrong, (like my transmitter this weekend, see my other post) maybe the alarm does not help, but if it saves 1 persons life it is worth it. To arbitrarily dismiss ones opinion is a dangerous point of view and a form of bullying. If you rely on the alarm for proper buoyancy, then you have a point, but I have never meet that diver.

From Shearwaters Website - Teric, The Watch that Transforms You. Or the Shearwater promotional video promoting it as an all around watch for multiple activities, hiking, and skydiving…. and the original posted stated, he wanted to use it for other things then diving.

Sorry for the rant, but I really dislike the statement of, if you dive right you do not need an alarm. Crap happens, things go wrong, (like my transmitter this weekend, see my other post) maybe the alarm does not help, but if it saves 1 persons life it is worth it. To arbitrarily dismiss ones opinion is a dangerous point of view and a form of bullying. If you rely on the alarm for proper buoyancy, then you have a point, but I have never meet that diver.
I'm sorry you took offense to my post. I am aware of my computer settings without the need for alarms. I think that should probably be every divers goal. Self awareness is our best weapon against complacency and needless error.

To arbitrarily dismiss ones opinion is a dangerous point of view and a form of bullying. If you rely on the alarm for proper buoyancy, then you have a point, but I have never meet that diver.

Bullying...? To state a different point of view is bullying? I see statements like yours as an attempt to stifle discussion.

Bullying...? To state a different point of view is bullying? I see statements like yours as an attempt to stifle discussion.

PADI specialty course - Bullying in the 21st Century. $199, I will explain it to you.

Situational awareness includes knowing where you are, what you are doing, how long and how deep you've been underwater and what is going on around you ( among other things). I also find alarms distracting and have not used them for the past 2 decades, but for some people, it might be useful.

For those who have the Teric, how often does it have to be charged if:
1. Used on a day of diving (say 2-4 dives; 4 hours underwater)
and 2. Used as a watch only on land.

Thanks.

PADI specialty course - Bullying in the 21st Century. $199, I will explain it to you.

Putting forward a view of "One could make a good argument, who really need any alarms if you are paying attention" is hardly bullying. I agree a good argument could be made. We can each apply that argument to ourselves and decide if/how it applies to us without getting bent out of shape. For me, I'm sticking with alarms, I don't even carry a go-pro or similar to help correctly direct my attention ... to the whale sharks.

One nice thing about the Teric are the levels of alerts, warnings, and critical warnings and their (2) respective alarms/vibrations. I don't know if it's been requested as a feature to have all three types having differing alerts: vibrate, beep, beep and vibrate (rather than just two options).

For those who have the Teric, how often does it have to be charged if:
1. Used on a day of diving (say 2-4 dives; 4 hours underwater)

from: Teric battery life "When diving with mine, I only used 75% of a full battery doing 4 days of diving, 3 dives/day, 9 hours of dive time, 2sec sample rate, was diligent turning AI T1 on/off (entering watch mode or making the screen blank between dives also turns AI off), compass wasn't used, and didn't use it as a watch, but did fluff and a lot with it. Each dive ate ~5% of the battery."

2. Used as a watch only on land.

I think another user reported a week, but in the above thread yet another user had 5 days combined with diving daily and not using AI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom