Scuba refresher in the Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MoneyGuy

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't dived for over a year and plan to be in the Caribbean in January. What are my chances of being able to get a refresher in before I go diving so I don't have to do the refresher here at home? I'll be in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. I'll also scout out some dive shops in the area to see what they offer said refresher.

Your chances are pretty good....Dive shops love money!:D

Question though.....Why not do it before you go at your LDS?

LDA?

I guess it would be easier for me to spend a couple of hours at the vacation destination.

LDA?

I guess it would be easier for me to spend a couple of hours at the vacation destination.

I'd rather do it at home (takes ~1.5hrs) and spend the time on vacation actually diving.

where are you staying? If you're staying and diving with an AI resort (somewhat likely in Jamaica) and you haven't been diving in a year, they may very well have some kind of refresher that they require you to do anyway.

the refresher course is a quick one at home LDS or away- IMO it's no big deal. If Jamaica is warmer than where ur LDS is, well you know. A regular class I say do at home but a refresher is quick. But if it's only been a year do you need a refresher? Were you confortable in the water before, do you have dives under ur belt(more than just OW class), have ur own gear etc...
Sometimes going over your gear -setup,regs octo location, donning you gear on at home,reading your dive material and/or some new dive book may help.

But if not call and get a refresh in.

But if it's only been a year do you need a refresher?

I haven't dived for over a year...

Some (many?) resorts and dive ops require that if you haven't been diving in the previous 12mo that you have proof of a Scuba Review or do one with them. Others merely want to do a check-out dive with you. If the OP is confident in his own skills/experience, perhaps he should check with the operation he's planning to dive with to see what they require. Would help him plan accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom