Scuba Schools International?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One nice thing about the SSI cards is that they print on the back of the card the number of dives when you got the card. And since you need at least 24 dives to get your AOW card you will have proof of a number of dives without having to present a log-book.
It gives a better image when showing up at an unknown operator.

I have decided to become a SSI instructor instead of padi. Take the SSI course you wont regret it. The teacher is the biggest part of selecting a class. Not the agency I do prefere the SSI Advanced open water diver. It realy makes you be advanced not just and open water diver with 4 more dives.

Just like everybody else has mentioned, it's the instructor not the certifying agency that matters most.:D

Well, the SSI AOW isnt really the equivalent of the PADI AOW - that would be the SSI Advanced Specialty course (5 dives, including Deep & Nav).

While the standards for SSI and PADI are virtually the same for OW (I actually teach either class in pretty much the same way), for Con-ed there are a bunch of differences in the forward path. PADI is more linear, SSI is a bit "broader."

Vandit

vkalia:
While the standards for SSI and PADI are virtually the same for OW (I actually teach either class in pretty much the same way), for Con-ed there are a bunch of differences in the forward path. PADI is more linear, SSI is a bit "broader."

Vandit

Please explain this a bit more. I am considering taking the DiveCon course this coming year.

Hi Gary -

Whith PADI, you have a pretty linear progression: OW --> AOW --> Rescue

With SSI, after OW, you have a lot of choices. You can do Stress & Rescue right away, you have to complete actual specialties, you have to mix in experience, etc. This is a lot more flexible and also makes it hard to compare levels between the two agencies.

Personally, this flexibility was the reason I crossed myself and our shop over to SSI.

Where are you based that you plan to do an SSI DiveCon course? I am an SSI DSCI as well as a PADI Staff Instructor, and generally, for people looking to work in the dive industry, I feel that the PADI DM/AI is a more marketable skill - we havent done a single DiveCon-only course yet, usually do DM/AI + DiveCon combos. But that is a reflection on the dive markets in SE Asia, where we are based - it may be different where you are.

Cheers,
Vandit

Thanks vkalia:

I dont plan to try and earn my primary living from this, although I have two shops that I use. One is in Racine, WI (where I will probably train) and another in Boca Raton, FL. Both places have PADI and SSI instructors. I understand that one must be associated with a SSI dive shop.

On the FL boats that I dive from, I already take out recently certified divers. This Dive Con training is simply for my benefit and for my diving daughters.

One reason I like SSI is the requirement for experience in addition to the courses.

I like the SSI philosophy. I know it was pointed out, but their "Advanced" class is really so much more of a an "advanced" experience. They are a good agency.

That being said, I'm going to do my initial instructor with PADI. It seems like everyone loves to hate PADI, but they have brought alot to the industry that is positive. And since so many more resorts are PADI, (not to mention my LDS is also a PADI facility) I'm going that route as an OW instructor initially, but plan to cross over to SSI.

Hilary, that's a pretty good idea. PADI's IDC program is extremely thorough - and being a PADI instructor makes you far more marketable than being an SSI instructor (being both is even better, of course).

The SSI AOW and the PADI AOw, despite the same name, are not really equivalent.

Gary - then yeah, go on ahead and go for SSI DiveCon. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Cheers,
Vandit

jtoorish:
I have certifications from PADI and SSI (as well as DAN for O2). My OW and AOW were both PADI, for EAN (Nitrox) I went with SSI, and I'm takin the SSI Diver Stress and Rescue course. I believe I will go with SSI for Dive Master next year.

I have to agree, it is more about the instructor than the agency. All the major agencies are certified by an international commission...so their standards are extremely close.

Jeff

What international commission?

Back
Top Bottom