Scuba Schools of America/Rusty Berry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOW! :dropmouth: I am truly speechless.

Lina, I have to agree with you that he is digging his own grave with those responses. And remember, I'm one who was a bit skeptical of this whole thing. Oh, and another thing - it's pretty obvious he responds when he's in a rage, because he didn't even read the HessieD one correctly. That person seems to ME to be saying that *other* shops won't talk to you about re-breathers right away, because they should only be used by experienced divers. At least, that's how I read it - anyone else read it that way? But then HE comes in and blasts out that of COURSE he'll talk to noobs about rebreathers! Which makes him look even worse. That's almost comical.

I try not to just take what I read on the internet at face value - especially when you have new members who come in and their very first posts are ripping some dive boat or shop. But the evidence here is just too overwhelming.

Are there more than the BBB reviews? Found those but, as was stated, they're not as scathing as the reviews some have discussed here. Not that it matters....I am not nor will ever be a customer of his. Just curious at this point.

WOW! :dropmouth: I am truly speechless.

Lina, I have to agree with you that he is digging his own grave with those responses. And remember, I'm one who was a bit skeptical of this whole thing. Oh, and another thing - it's pretty obvious he responds when he's in a rage, because he didn't even read the HessieD one correctly. That person seems to ME to be saying that *other* shops won't talk to you about re-breathers right away, because they should only be used by experienced divers. At least, that's how I read it - anyone else read it that way? But then HE comes in and blasts out that of COURSE he'll talk to noobs about rebreathers! Which makes him look even worse. That's almost comical.

I try not to just take what I read on the internet at face value - especially when you have new members who come in and their very first posts are ripping some dive boat or shop. But the evidence here is just too overwhelming.

I read it that way too, which only shows that he's only reading what he wants to read...lol. When I started this thread, it was to really see if I was an odd case or if this is common...I was shocked by the response too and I should've done my homework more thoroughly about him...at some point, someone is going to say enough is enough...and here I am. It's just the principal of the whole thing...

Oh man...this guy is a total tool! His responses in the BBB threads shows nothing less. Kinda reminds me of that guy "Shooter McGavin" in Happy Gilmore. He was the best and he knew it. Problem was that he had to keep reminding everyone.

Karma can't visit this guy fast enough........... :kicknut:

<EDIT>

Oh man, this is funny. I clicked on Rusty's name in the BBB reviews and it seems he can dish it out but he can't take it.

http://www.trustlink.org/Profile.aspx?ProfileID=qSW8Uyi6RXk=

Coverall Cleaning Concepts of San Bernardino
Review Rating:

Posted On:
5/14/2008 Address: 1845 Business Center Drive Suite 200
San Bernardino, CA 92408
(909) 890-3510
Category: Janitorial Services
City: San Bernardino

A relatively good company for cleaning, however, read the fine print in the contract before you sign. It renews automatically in one year and it is specifically written so that you must cancel it at least thirty days prior to the anniverser...

» Read More

Are there more than the BBB reviews? Found those but, as was stated, they're not as scathing as the reviews some have discussed here. Not that it matters....I am not nor will ever be a customer of his. Just curious at this point.

There were more negative reviews that have been removed...because I'm sure he flagged them, bitched and whined too. I've learned that BBB tends to side with the businesses more often than the consumers...doesn't give them a whole lot of credibility though...

Oh man...this guy is a total tool! His responses in the BBB threads shows nothing less. Kinda reminds me of that guy "Shooter McGavin" in Happy Gilmore. He was the best and he knew it. Problem was that he had to keep reminding everyone.

Karma can't visit this guy fast enough........... :kicknut:

I can't agree more Johnny...I'll use one of my favorite lines, Karma's a bitch...and I trained her! Haha... :wink:

Y'know, we just had a lengthy discussion in this forum about the power of social media for winning and/or losing customers. I would love to see the monetary value of THIS thread! :D

:trainwreck:

And those BBB responses? He actually told one of them to SHUT UP! Unbelievable. Even if I didn't believe a word of the reviewers, I would avoid that store like the plague just because of his responses!

Now watch his responses disappear...or change to something more professional...which will prove that he's reading this thread. :wink: Maybe somebody should post them here, as well as the remaining negative reviews, so they're not lost to cyberspace when BBB removes them.

Y'know, we just had a lengthy discussion in this forum about the power of social media for winning and/or losing customers. I would love to see the monetary value of THIS thread! :D

:trainwreck:

And those BBB responses? He actually told one of them to SHUT UP! Unbelievable. Even if I didn't believe a word of the reviewers, I would avoid that store like the plague just because of his responses!

Now watch his responses disappear...or change to something more professional...which will prove that he's reading this thread. :wink: Maybe somebody should post them here, as well as the remaining negative reviews, so they're not lost to cyberspace when BBB removes them.

An excellent idea...

By Hessie D *
Reviews
1 Review
Answers
0 Answers

This shop is a rip-off, and the owner, Rusty Berry, is a crook and a scam artist. I met him at a travel event, and he told me that the total cost to get certified to scuba dive would be only a few hundred dollars. Once I got down to his shop, he tried to serve me wine, which should have been my first clue. Why would someone try to give you alcohol when you are making decisions about expensive equipment that you need to keep you alive underwater? He told me over and over that if I didn't like it, I could return it for a FULL REFUND. This is a total lie. He won't take any of it back after you start the class and get it wet. Then, once I&#8217;d started the class and already spent hundreds, he tacked on over $1000 more in required stuff! I felt like I had no choice since I was already into it for so much. Don't believe any of these brand new positive reviews. These are his friends, and they suddenly started posting these because of all the new reports from angry customers that got scammed. I just found out that there are several other people writing about this on a scuba message board, and they are describing the exact same thing that happened to me! And it turns out that people have been talking about him, and his unscrupulous business practices, for years! He's well known in the local scuba industry as a shyster. I asked around, and that's what I found out. I could kick myself for not doing that first. You can go to any dive shop, or sporting-goods store that has a dive center, and get certified to dive for a few hundred total. They will give you all the costs upfront, not give you a ridiculous low-ball price then tack on all the extras after you're already started. They will tell you to rent your gear for the duration of your training, and even for a few dives afterward, until you know what you want. They won't even talk to you about equipment like re-breathers, which are highly technical and dangerous and should only be used by very experienced divers. You don't need expensive dive "systems" that all have to be bought at his shop only. There are many brands of high-quality dive equipment, and most dive shops sell all the same brands. You can even buy great stuff on the internet. Do your homework. Go to scubaboard.com forums and do a search on the shop name, or on Rusty Berry, and read all the horror stories. Google it.
» Bookmark | » Send a Message |

Posted on 11/9/2010
Was this review...?
Useful
(101)

Funny
(5)
ReviewsFlag this Review

Business responded on 11/9/2010
Hey Hessie D....or whatever your real name is. If you had an issue make a complaint with the BBB, unless you already have and have had it dismissed. We told you to become a certified diver you can expect to spend between $400 to $800 as a minimum. You made the choices in the equipment you purchased on your own. We have low quality low priced equipment to the very best in the industry. If it was after hours or closing, sure we have a fully stocked wine bar. We apologize for our hospitality in forcing you to drink some really great wine???!! We, nor I, have ever told anyone that we would refund your personal scuba gear. In fact there's a huge sign in front of the register that tell's you this...and on the receipts that you signed...maybe you were blind to both. Once you have your personal gear there are no more "required purchases" regarding your own equipment. You can use rental free in our pool whenever you wanted to. However, if you choose to go on a boat....that is an extra cost and you will need to pay for rental. Maybe you choose to purchase all of your own equipment, which most of our divers do. We have never tacked on any extra costs. Maybe you can be more specific by giving your real name and I can tell you exactly what your situation is. But you won't because you hide behind your computer and can't handle confrontation. Regarding rebreathers...you said we won't even talk to you about them...on the contrary...we have dozens in the store and talk about them all the time. You can purchase your equipment from anyone and anyplace....but you need someone to show you how to use it and you need someone to keep you diving. We still have over 500 active club member just out of our Montclair store. Seams to reason why our club meetings are full...our boats are full....people are happy. So instead of hiding behind some alias.....tell the world who you are .....or shut up.

Oh....and yes there will be many many more happy reports from all of our cool divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom