Scuba Schools of America/Rusty Berry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sigsixbill--I agree that you said, as I did, that customers should not feel they have been duped. My disagreement is from the rest of your posts, some of which suggest strongly to me that you believe it is OK to dupe customers, as long as they don't realize it has happened

You misconstrue my general theme again! Name one post I made that suggests strongly that I believe it is ok to dupe customers - as long as they don't realize it happened!!!

There are usually two sides to every story, and we only know the OP's side -which I sympathized with. Then the thread turned into a gear seller bashing session that assumed every LDS with a sales plan had the intent of duping and ripping off customers. It was almost assumed that having a plan to sell gear and duping / ripping off customers were one in the same - synonymous. This is where I piped in and introduced my general theme - which surprisingly you either still don't get (which I doubt considering your education background), OR refuse to acknowledge.

My general theme was / is two parts: 1. selling gear with an active sales plan can be ethical and is often in the best interest of the student and divers in general, AND 2. selling gear by duping new students is unethical no matter if they realize it or not, but is a completely separate issue from having a sales plan.

I suggested it might be "buyers remorse", that was cause of the gear seller bashing, but it could be something else. The point is that not every LDS with a sales plan is out to dupe and rip their customers off! Then I set the theme of my posts by asking, "What is good for divers?" ... from the perspective of what is the best strategy to keep them diving once they start their first class and in the future.

While I can sympathize with the original poster to some degree, the bottom line is this thread is mostly about buyer's remorse. Ultimately, is Rusty good for divers or not? To answer that, one has to ask, "What is good for divers?" ...

I am beginning to think that the way you misconstrue me (and maybe others who disagree with you) that maybe the ethical thing to do is resign your 'moderator' status ...

Richard - I think you may be one of the few who understands the true debate here.

The problem with number 8 is that it is written the way congress might add highway funding to a telecommunications bill. #8 is just fine, until John adds what is likely his own phrase, "Regardless of need," which makes all the 'gear salesman' haters think #8 is terrible and rally around this possibly misleading post. And if a shop promoted #8 as written by John, I would think that shop was terrible too!

The tone in which John describes #9 makes it seem bad, but if you think about it, #9 is often implemented, but just more subtly so no one gets excited about it. And it does come down to training agency – as you so aptly pointed out. But to understand this, one has to look at the differences pertaining to agencies.

WARNING – DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU LIKE BELIEVING ALL AGENCIES ARE THE SAME. THIS IS NOT ONE OF THOSE NON-COMMITAL, “IT’S THE INSTRUCTOR – NOT THE AGENCY” POSTS! THIS POST CONTAINS FACTS THAT HAVE CAUSED THE AUTHOR TO DRAW CONCLUSIONS SOME MAY POSSIBLY TAKE AS DEROGATORY ABOUT THEIR FAVORITE AGENCY.

One last sub-warning: while it is true there are probably bad (bad = minimal or compromised standards) instructors from just about every agency, many of which can certify through multiple agencies, the point of the post is to show that the history and philosophy behind each agency increases or decreases the chances of bad instructors. It also affects how #9 is implemented.

First there was NAUI (don’t get excited, I understand there was LA County and CMAS before that, but that isn’t relevant to this discussion). NAUI’s guiding principles, which are all in the diver’s best interest, are better promoted by the fact NAUI is a non-profit organization. With a non-profit philosophy, instructor members are more likely motivated by what is best for the student. With training materials that are second to none, NAUI students have a good chance of becoming decent divers – and hopefully get honest advice about the gear that they need.

Then there was PADI, the first FOR PROFIT training agency. Like another training agency that came along 30 years later, PADI gave out instructor cards like candy. Eventually, there were more PADI instructors than any other agency. Because PADI was focused on selling training, they dumbed down complete courses into many sub-courses, that required consumers to buy to many little courses to get what they were getting in less courses before. Through reducing standards and heavy marketing, everyone drank the kool-aide, and PADI became, “the way the world learns to dive.” Soon there were specialties for everything, like Boat Diver – purely designed to sell books and cards. And nothing seems to have changed.

For example, I rented a scooter once and followed a lady who worked for a PADI shop, for one dive. When we finished the one dive and I was about to leave, she offered me a PADI Specialty DPV card for $35. Back then I didn’t have a PADI card, so I thought maybe it might benefit me in some way, so I paid the $35. When the card came, it had the name of a man I never met, printed on it as my instructor!

With all the focus on selling dumbed down courses, course materials and cards, haphazard gear sales made it difficult for many PADI shops to stay in business.
And with a majority of independent instructors being PADI, local dive shops being PADI, and chain sporting goods department stores being PADI, how does one differentiate themselves under PADI? The answer is that there is no differentiation – so why be PADI then?

NASDS / SSI recognized that many shop owners were divers with no business or sales training, so they developed a sales system to help their dealers make up for their inadequacies in business. They also recognized that divers who owned their own equipment often stayed involved in diving and became better and safer divers, so their sales system included selling gear, as well as courses.

#9, My first reaction to #9 (#7 on John’s renumbered list) was, “How dare someone other than the all knowledgeable instructor, have an opinion on what gear his student’s should buy! But then I started thinking, and realized this. Who’s students are they – the shop’s or the instructors?

1. If the instructor marketed his services independent of the shop, then they are the instructor’s students – in which case the instructor MAY have the right to promote or not promote whatever gear he / she wants. I say ‘may’ have because unless the instructor owns his own scuba shop that he outfits his clients with before the class starts, or owns a complete line of rental gear, and has a compressor, the instructor still needs a shop to work through. If the shop owner is smart in his agreement with the independent instructor, and the independent instructor is ethical in follow through, the independent instructor would be required to promote the shop and it’s gear as agreed.
  2. If they are the shop’s students, then what right does the instructor have to have any say regarding gear, unless the owner allows the instructor to have a say. And who is to say that the instructor has a better idea than the owner of what the students need anyway?

Next came IANTD, ANDI, NACD, and NSS-CDS. These agencies all recognized the need for technical and cave training and provided it. And although they had a gear message, sometimes it wasn’t consistent enough for some.

This left the market open for two more agencies emerge – both with very specific gear messages: GUE and later UDT. Both agencies manufacture and market their own gear. Their store owners and instructors wear this gear as their ‘instructor uniforms’, and promote it as the best. Students can’t even pass the class unless they buy this gear and wear it as instructed. ISN’T THIS WHAT JOHN IS COMPLAINING ABOUT IN NUMBER 9? So it is OK for GUE and UDT, but not SSI? I am pretty sure if we were discussing a UDT store here instead of a SSI store, John would have no problem with #9.

9. Require your instructors to purchase those items identified in #8 and wear all of them while instructing as their "instructor uniform."

Requiring the instructors to wear the products the store sells is smart and part of a consistent sales and safety message, and is NOT unethical. If instructor purchase is required, and the store doesn’t make it worthwhile enough for the instructor to buy a second set of uniform gear to teach in, then obviously this requirement is unreasonable, and maybe the instructor needs to find another store. Still nothing unethical here – just a business decision by the instructor. BUT wearing store sold gear can be achieved by stores letting instructors wear store owned equipment while instructing. Imagine signing up for a Ping golf clinic through a Ping dealer, and the instructor showed up with a set of Mizunos! This dealer’s client isn’t going to likely be purchasing many Pings as a result of training with the Ping instructor using Mizuno …

So why should it be the instructor, who has invested nothing and therefore has nothing to lose, get to choose the gear to push or not push to the students? Or a better question might be why would a store owner, who has everything to lose, allow instructors to use his shop and determine the future of his business, with no commitment of loyalty. With this in mind, why would owners and instructors not organize a gear message, when they know how much it benefits the students?

9. continued: Require them to tell the students that as instructors, they have the freedom to buy anything, but they want the best. They therefore carefully selected every item they use while instructing because it is the best there is.

I think this is probably a bit of an exaggeration on John’s part, to make gear selling instructors look like liars. First of all, it is hard to say there is the best there is with any piece of scuba equipment. Like another poster (Flots Am) so aptly pointed out, at the recreational level, just about all the gear out there is good enough to be safe in. In most cases, the instructors product endorsement verbiage could reasonably be modified so that it still consistent with the store’s sales and safety message, and was not a lie on the instructor’s part.

(The only item on our required uniform list I would purchase and use for myself was the wet suit. I would have been required, for example, to say that I use a specific brand of alternate air source on the inflator hose because it's the best way to dive, even though I personally would never buy one if given the choice)

The real problem I see here for John is that he is a long hose / necklace / bp / wing guy – the problem being that is all he wants to sell. Unfortunately (I say unfortunately because that is all I would prefer to sell too), the majority of the market views this as too hard core for swimming around at 30-60’ watching fishies, so they prefer a more exciting colorful looking soft bc / with pockets / still wing style and no hoses crossing the chest set-up. Dive stores, like Rusty’s, should and do recognize this, and aim to provide a high quality safe version of this.

So even if John would never dive with a high performance Atomic SS1 on an inflator hose (and neither would I), that doesn’t mean he would be lying to a student if he said, “I prefer a long hose / necklace configuration, but for sport diving, if you didn’t go with my setup, the Atomic with SS1 is a great setup (which in comparison to an octopus hanging off the same side as the primary, then strapped across the chest, is probably a true statement – at least for me it is). This is assuming the store offers bp / wing / long hoses for him to sell and would allow him to say that – which I don’t see why any reasonable store wouldn’t.

So back to the original question: is this good for divers - To sell them something other than a bp / wing / long hose / necklace? Absolutely – owning and training in their own complete system is safer and invests them in diving, and makes it more convenient – which will likely keep them diving.

Richard - I think you may be one of the few who understands the true debate here.

The problem with number 8 is that it is written the way congress might add highway funding to a telecommunications bill. #8 is just fine, until John adds what is likely his own phrase, "Regardless of need," which makes all the 'gear salesman' haters think #8 is terrible and rally around this possibly misleading post. And if a shop promoted #8 as written by John, I would think that shop was terrible too!

The tone in which John describes #9 makes it seem bad, but if you think about it, #9 is often implemented, but just more subtly so no one gets excited about it. And it does come down to training agency – as you so aptly pointed out. But to understand this, one has to look at the differences pertaining to agencies.

WARNING – DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU LIKE BELIEVING ALL AGENCIES ARE THE SAME. THIS IS NOT ONE OF THOSE NON-COMMITAL, “IT’S THE INSTRUCTOR – NOT THE AGENCY” POSTS! THIS POST CONTAINS FACTS THAT HAVE CAUSED THE AUTHOR TO DRAW CONCLUSIONS SOME MAY POSSIBLY TAKE AS DEROGATORY ABOUT THEIR FAVORITE AGENCY.

One last sub-warning: while it is true there are probably bad (bad = minimal or compromised standards) instructors from just about every agency, many of which can certify through multiple agencies, the point of the post is to show that the history and philosophy behind each agency increases or decreases the chances of bad instructors. It also affects how #9 is implemented.

First there was NAUI (don’t get excited, I understand there was LA County and CMAS before that, but that isn’t relevant to this discussion). NAUI’s guiding principles, which are all in the diver’s best interest, are better promoted by the fact NAUI is a non-profit organization. With a non-profit philosophy, instructor members are more likely motivated by what is best for the student. With training materials that are second to none, NAUI students have a good chance of becoming decent divers – and hopefully get honest advice about the gear that they need.

Then there was PADI, the first FOR PROFIT training agency. Like another training agency that came along 30 years later, PADI gave out instructor cards like candy. Eventually, there were more PADI instructors than any other agency. Because PADI was focused on selling training, they dumbed down complete courses into many sub-courses, that required consumers to buy to many little courses to get what they were getting in less courses before. Through reducing standards and heavy marketing, everyone drank the kool-aide, and PADI became, “the way the world learns to dive.” Soon there were specialties for everything, like Boat Diver – purely designed to sell books and cards. And nothing seems to have changed.

For example, I rented a scooter once and followed a lady who worked for a PADI shop, for one dive. When we finished the one dive and I was about to leave, she offered me a PADI Specialty DPV card for $35. Back then I didn’t have a PADI card, so I thought maybe it might benefit me in some way, so I paid the $35. When the card came, it had the name of a man I never met, printed on it as my instructor!

With all the focus on selling dumbed down courses, course materials and cards, haphazard gear sales made it difficult for many PADI shops to stay in business.
And with a majority of independent instructors being PADI, local dive shops being PADI, and chain sporting goods department stores being PADI, how does one differentiate themselves under PADI? The answer is that there is no differentiation – so why be PADI then?

NASDS / SSI recognized that many shop owners were divers with no business or sales training, so they developed a sales system to help their dealers make up for their inadequacies in business. They also recognized that divers who owned their own equipment often stayed involved in diving and became better and safer divers, so their sales system included selling gear, as well as courses.

#9, My first reaction to #9 (#7 on John’s renumbered list) was, “How dare someone other than the all knowledgeable instructor, have an opinion on what gear his student’s should buy! But then I started thinking, and realized this. Who’s students are they – the shop’s or the instructors?

1. If the instructor marketed his services independent of the shop, then they are the instructor’s students – in which case the instructor MAY have the right to promote or not promote whatever gear he / she wants. I say ‘may’ have because unless the instructor owns his own scuba shop that he outfits his clients with before the class starts, or owns a complete line of rental gear, and has a compressor, the instructor still needs a shop to work through. If the shop owner is smart in his agreement with the independent instructor, and the independent instructor is ethical in follow through, the independent instructor would be required to promote the shop and it’s gear as agreed.
  2. If they are the shop’s students, then what right does the instructor have to have any say regarding gear, unless the owner allows the instructor to have a say. And who is to say that the instructor has a better idea than the owner of what the students need anyway?

Next came IANTD, ANDI, NACD, and NSS-CDS. These agencies all recognized the need for technical and cave training and provided it. And although they had a gear message, sometimes it wasn’t consistent enough for some.

This left the market open for two more agencies emerge – both with very specific gear messages: GUE and later UDT. Both agencies manufacture and market their own gear. Their store owners and instructors wear this gear as their ‘instructor uniforms’, and promote it as the best. Students can’t even pass the class unless they buy this gear and wear it as instructed. ISN’T THIS WHAT JOHN IS COMPLAINING ABOUT IN NUMBER 9? So it is OK for GUE and UDT, but not SSI? I am pretty sure if we were discussing a UDT store here instead of a SSI store, John would have no problem with #9.

9. Require your instructors to purchase those items identified in #8 and wear all of them while instructing as their "instructor uniform."

Requiring the instructors to wear the products the store sells is smart and part of a consistent sales and safety message, and is NOT unethical. If instructor purchase is required, and the store doesn’t make it worthwhile enough for the instructor to buy a second set of uniform gear to teach in, then obviously this requirement is unreasonable, and maybe the instructor needs to find another store. Still nothing unethical here – just a business decision by the instructor. BUT wearing store sold gear can be achieved by stores letting instructors wear store owned equipment while instructing. Imagine signing up for a Ping golf clinic through a Ping dealer, and the instructor showed up with a set of Mizunos! This dealer’s client isn’t going to likely be purchasing many Pings as a result of training with the Ping instructor using Mizuno …

So why should it be the instructor, who has invested nothing and therefore has nothing to lose, get to choose the gear to push or not push to the students? Or a better question might be why would a store owner, who has everything to lose, allow instructors to use his shop and determine the future of his business, with no commitment of loyalty. With this in mind, why would owners and instructors not organize a gear message, when they know how much it benefits the students?

9. continued: Require them to tell the students that as instructors, they have the freedom to buy anything, but they want the best. They therefore carefully selected every item they use while instructing because it is the best there is.

I think this is probably a bit of an exaggeration on John’s part, to make gear selling instructors look like liars. First of all, it is hard to say there is the best there is with any piece of scuba equipment. Like another poster (Flots Am) so aptly pointed out, at the recreational level, just about all the gear out there is good enough to be safe in. In most cases, the instructors product endorsement verbiage could reasonably be modified so that it still consistent with the store’s sales and safety message, and was not a lie on the instructor’s part.

(The only item on our required uniform list I would purchase and use for myself was the wet suit. I would have been required, for example, to say that I use a specific brand of alternate air source on the inflator hose because it's the best way to dive, even though I personally would never buy one if given the choice)

The real problem I see here for John is that he is a long hose / necklace / bp / wing guy – the problem being that is all he wants to sell. Unfortunately (I say unfortunately because that is all I would prefer to sell too), the majority of the market views this as too hard core for swimming around at 30-60’ watching fishies, so they prefer a more exciting colorful looking soft bc / with pockets / still wing style and no hoses crossing the chest set-up. Dive stores, like Rusty’s, should and do recognize this, and aim to provide a high quality safe version of this.

So even if John would never dive with a high performance Atomic SS1 on an inflator hose (and neither would I), that doesn’t mean he would be lying to a student if he said, “I prefer a long hose / necklace configuration, but for sport diving, if you didn’t go with my setup, the Atomic with SS1 is a great setup (which in comparison to an octopus hanging off the same side as the primary, then strapped across the chest, is probably a true statement – at least for me it is). This is assuming the store offers bp / wing / long hoses for him to sell and would allow him to say that – which I don’t see why any reasonable store wouldn’t.

So back to the original question: is this good for divers - To sell them something other than a bp / wing / long hose / necklace? Absolutely – owning and training in their own complete system is safer and invests them in diving, and makes it more convenient – which will likely keep them diving.
All true.

The other question I've always wondered about:

From the time of the late 50's early 60's when the standard diving uniform was a tank strapped directly to your back (with a J valve if you were lucky), no BC, oval mask, straight J snorkel, a double hose regulator, some duck feet fins, a stiff beavertail wetsuit, and a weightbelt.

To now: with a fully padded BC w/ integrated weights, pockets, designer netting and piping features, fins of all kinds including ones with tension bands, splits up the middle, dive computers, etc.
The masks are all low volume and silicone skirted. The snorkels all seem to have check valves and dry balls on the top (big clunky things)
The regs now are insanely easy to breathe and use as opposed to the double hose days.

So the question is, did the certifying agencies follow the lead of the manufacturers and conform their training to the new innovations in products.
Or do the manufactrurers follow what the agencies request or demand?
So in other words, the agencies require everyone to have a BCD device of some sort and an alternate second stage. Way back when there were no BC's and no alternate seconds, how did that start?

I don't think anyone is questioning Rusty's prowess as a businessman, just his ethics in pursuing that business. If he is making promises that seem contradicted in the small print, that's ethically questionable. If he is telling you that the gear he is selling is the only gear that will keep you safe in SoCal, that is ethically questionable. If he is selling that gear at an incredible markup, that is ethically questionable (though I would also call into question the gullibility of the buyer).

I find no surprise in the community trying to change Rusty's behavior for his own ethical benefit. I (and other regular SoCal divers) have the tendency to spread our love (as evidenced by $'s) amongst the shops who treat us well. I would LOVE to include Rusty's shop amongst those.

I don't think anyone is questioning Rusty's prowess as a businessman, just his ethics in pursuing that business. If he is making promises that seem contradicted in the small print, that's ethically questionable.
Agreed

If he is telling you that the gear he is selling is the only gear that will keep you safe in SoCal, that is ethically questionable.
Agreed

If he is selling that gear at an incredible markup, that is ethically questionable (though I would also call into question the gullibility of the buyer).

DISAGREE - 1. Most gear must be sold at MSRP as per dealer agreement. That means even discount sites have to sell certain better brands at the same price as scuba shops in order to retain their dealer status. And even if Rusty charges full price for some items that are often discounted, if he is providing better service, facility, and long term viability to be there to support the client in the future, then I don't see anything unethical with this point either.

I find no surprise in the community trying to change Rusty's behavior for his own ethical benefit. I (and other regular SoCal divers) have the tendency to spread our love (as evidenced by $'s) amongst the shops who treat us well. I would LOVE to include Rusty's shop amongst those.
fair enough

DISAGREE - 1. Most gear must be sold at MSRP as per dealer agreement. That means even discount sites have to sell certain better brands at the same price as scuba shops in order to retain their dealer status. And even if Rusty charges full price for some items that are often discounted, if he is providing better service, facility, and long term viability to be there to support the client in the future, then I don't see anything unethical with this point either.

I was unaware about this, and I need to educate myself soon as I intend to get into retail. I believed a retailer (within the forces of the market) had a pretty free hand with regard to pricing.

I believed a retailer (within the forces of the market) had a pretty free hand with regard to pricing.

In Russia maybe. In the US? Not so much. It disgusts me but there IS. A silver lining. Without these rules, there would have been no LeisurePro.

(Best part of it is that most manufacturers were complicit in the whole charade!).

In Russia maybe. In the US? Not so much. It disgusts me but there IS. A silver lining. Without these rules, there would have been no LeisurePro.

That's not actually a benefit. WIthout price fixing, everyplace would be leisurepro.

Just for the record, leisurepro is NOT an authorized dealer for many products they sell, which among other things means their products don't come with a manufacturers warranty ...

...but they do have their own warranty. Could they exist in the tech market?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom