Scuba Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johneaj

New
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just recently got a job a sport chalet and they are going to give me free scuba lessons. Working for Sport Chalet get me the opportunity to get prodeals from aqualung or whatever brand.

The aqualung prodeal allows me to get Fins, mask, snorkel, Suit, boots, BC, and Reg. I was wondering if you guys suggestions on which items i should get for those categories. I get about 60% off and i would like to keep my budget below $1000

Thanks

Yep, SC has some nice pro-deals for their dive professionals. I'd just ask around to the other people you work with what they like and why...then check the reviews.

Mask doesn't matter so long as you find one that fits,snorkel and boots are cheap so who cares...buy them later. The Fins, BC, and reg/computer though, I'd check the scuba reviews and see what gets higher ratings and why and then figure out what's in your price range based on that info and what's important to you.

Enjoy and good hunting.

Lucky you. :D Seriously, getting the "pro" deal with the Aqualung family of dive gear should set you up with an enviable scuba locker.

Don't buy anything until you get your OW certification and decide that you want to continue to dive. You should know that lots of people get scuba certified...and then stop diving. It happens. It would suck to have to deal with the hassle of selling all of your used gear...ahem...even though you could probably still sell it for a profit (due to the generous "pro" deal you got).

During your OW class and afterward, you should try out various Aqualung family regs, computers, and BCDs that your store rents out. Find out what you like and don't like about the gear. Talk to DMs and instructors at Sport Chalet about what Aqualung gear they'd recommend.

I have no idea if you'd like the same stuff that I like...but here's what would be on my shopping list:

Mask - the one that fits the best, preferably with a black mask skirt
Snorkel - the cheapest, simplest one they have that doesn't have a big one-way "dry valve" on top or one that rolls up and fits into a pocket (Nautilus Travel Snorkel)
Fins - don't like any of Aqualung's fins (sorry!)
Exposure protection - Whites Fusion drysuit + appropriate undergarments (MK2 or MK3, depending on your local water temps) + Whites Evo3 boots
BC - Apeks WTX BP/W system or Seaquest Balance (if rear-inflate is desired) or Seaquest Pro QD (if conventional jacket-style is desired); stay away from any BCDs with the i3 up/down lever
Regs - Apeks XTX100/FST first stage + Apeks XTX50 second stage alternate (yellow if used as octo or black if used as necklaced backup on long-hose setup); the Aqualung Legend is a great reg also; the Aqualung Mikron or Apeks Flight regs are nice choices if you plan to do a lot of warm water vacations (very portable, come with Miflex hoses)
Gauges - Suunto Analog SPG only (I would prefer a brass and glass SPG...but I've put over 300 dives on my Suunto SPG and it just won't die!)
Compass - Suunto SK7 (you MUST get this)
Computer - Suunto Vyper (wrist-mount) + Suunto USB download cable (optional)

I'm not sure that you'll be able to get all of the stuff on my list for under $1000. The drysuit would almost certainly put you over $1000. If you don't need a drysuit, then replace it with a nicely-fitting Aqualung wetsuit of appropriate thickness...then you should be able to stay within your budget.

Have fun with your class...

Last edited:
LOL...I agree with bubbletrubble except that even with a 60% discount, you're looking at much more than $1000. I am guessing that list will put you closer to around $1700 with discount.

If you go with a wetsuit head to Xcel and see if they fit your body well. I love mine but if it doesn't fit, grab the others and see which fits.

If you don't mind hoses..the Suunto Cobra is a very nice choice too...with the compass attached. I prefer wireless though so I lean towards the Vyper/D9 range...whatever you do....keep the receipt for the Suuto products...trust me. I have a very expensive paperweight because I threw my receipt away after a couple years by mistake. You may never need them...but if you do...you'll regret not keeping it handy.

LOL...I agree with bubbletrubble except that even with a 60% discount, you're looking at much more than $1000. I am guessing that list will put you closer to around $1700 with discount.
OK. After looking at the MSRP of those items, wadedeeper's numbers are far more realistic than mine. I...uhh...didn't look at the inflated MSRP numbers before making that last post. For example, MSRP for the XTX50 octo is $250. Wow.

You don't have to purchase all of your gear right away. Start with the most useful items...then acquire everything else over time.

As wadedeeper advised, keep your receipts. They'll come in handy one day.

Good luck!

Lucky you. :D Seriously, getting the "pro" deal with the Aqualung family of dive gear should set you up with an enviable scuba locker.

Don't buy anything until you get your OW certification and decide that you want to continue to dive. You should know that lots of people get scuba certified...and then stop diving. It happens. It would suck to have to deal with the hassle of selling all of your used gear...ahem...even though you could probably still sell it for a profit (due to the generous "pro" deal you got).

During your OW class and afterward, you should try out various Aqualung family regs, computers, and BCDs that your store rents out. Find out what you like and don't like about the gear. Talk to DMs and instructors at Sport Chalet about what Aqualung gear they'd recommend.

I have no idea if you'd like the same stuff that I like...but here's what would be on my shopping list:

Mask - the one that fits the best, preferably with a black mask skirt
Snorkel - the cheapest, simplest one they have that doesn't have a big one-way "dry valve" on top or one that rolls up and fits into a pocket (Nautilus Travel Snorkel)
Fins - don't like any of Aqualung's fins (sorry!)
Exposure protection - Whites Fusion drysuit + appropriate undergarments (MK2 or MK3, depending on your local water temps) + Whites Evo3 boots
BC - Apeks WTX BP/W system or Seaquest Balance (if rear-inflate is desired) or Seaquest Pro QD (if conventional jacket-style is desired); stay away from any BCDs with the i3 up/down lever
Regs - Apeks XTX100/FST first stage + Apeks XTX50 second stage alternate (yellow if used as octo or black if used as necklaced backup on long-hose setup); the Aqualung Legend is a great reg also; the Aqualung Mikron or Apeks Flight regs are nice choices if you plan to do a lot of warm water vacations (very portable, come with Miflex hoses)
Gauges - Suunto Analog SPG only (I would prefer a brass and glass SPG...but I've put over 300 dives on my Suunto SPG and it just won't die!)
Compass - Suunto SK7 (you MUST get this)
Computer - Suunto Vyper (wrist-mount) + Suunto USB download cable (optional)

I'm not sure that you'll be able to get all of the stuff on my list for under $1000. The drysuit would almost certainly put you over $1000. If you don't need a drysuit, then replace it with a nicely-fitting Aqualung wetsuit of appropriate thickness...then you should be able to stay within your budget.

Have fun with your class...

I agree with most of the suggestions given but I'll add my 2 cents.

1. BCD seaquest balance or passport (too bad they don't carry zeagle or I'll recommend the express tech)
2. Apeks DS4/XTX50 or XTX100 if you want to spurge
3. Suunto SK7 Wrist Compass
4. Suunto "Vytec DS" without transmitter

Seaquest suits are ok but I found better value elsewhere, booties & gloves are fine.

Good luck

SangP

If I were working in the store, I'd do some research about what features each piece of gear has, figure out which features matter to me, and then try out all the different pieces that fit my needs and decide which I liked best in the water. It seems you should have access to different regs and bcs to at least try out. dive computers are going to be more difficult to try out in a pool, obviously, but if you wait until you have a few OW dives under your belt perhaps that will give you a better idea what you want and don't want from a computer and the rest of your gear. At that point it's a lot easier to make an informed decision about what you want to spend your money on and why.

You'll get a hundred different answers to the question of "what's best" and they might all be the wrong answer for you since only you know what works best for you.

Here's what I recommend on the higher end items. I own everything listed. Mask, snorkel, booties - just buy what fits. Snorkels are easily lost, so I would buy the cheapest and something small that can be stowed in a pocket.

Reg - Aqualung Legend LX or Apex XTX200
Comp- Viper Air with Transmitter (nice large display)
DR - White's Fusion with Evo boots
Suunto SK7 wrist compass

All of the suggestions the other posters make on here are great and the equipment they recommend is top notch BUT..........working at SC should give you the opportunity to demo most of the equipment they sell, allowing you to draw your own conclusions about the equipment rather than buying based on word of mouth.
Nearly all of the divers I know personally use jacket style BCD's and split fins.
If I bought my equipment based on what they said or used, I'd be in a jacket and splits as well.
Fortunately, I have an inquisitive brain and that led me to BP/W.
If you're doing strictly rec NDL diving, you should have no trouble staying within a $1000. budget.
Just go out and try EVERYTHING and make your decisions based on personal experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom