Scuba Spots within Driving Distance of Orlando/Disney/Epcot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive the fish tank at Seaworld. Seriously the only close diving is in springs about an hour or so north.
nearest ocean will be 2+ hours south.

Orlando is in the center of the state. But there is lots of diving within about a 3 hours radius .

florida.gif

From Orlando you can go to the following:
1-North Florida Springs: Plenty of OW dives such as Ginny Springs, Rainbow River, and lots more.
2-SouthWest to Venice Beach for megaladon and sharks tooth dives
3-Southeast to West Palm Beach, Boynton Beach, Pompano, Ft. Lauderdale for mostly drift diving, most reefs are 60ish or so feet or deeper.
4-Drive down 4 hours south to Key Largo, the dive capital of the world where most of the reefs are 30 or so ft deep.

This map is of South Florida:
map%20of%20southeast%20florida%201.jpg

here are similar threads with advice that should help.....

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...lorida-diving-around-disneyworld-orlando.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/414884-disney-world-side-diving.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/414756-location-idea.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/449924-epcot.html#post6683753

My favorite dive operator is Jupiter Dive Center in Jupiter: it will be one of the closer ocean dive boats if you're driving from Orlando. There are a lot of other good dive operators in Palm Beach County as well. I've dove and enjoyed times on Walkers, Narcosis, Jim Abernathy, Scuba Club. The latter is particularly good with newer divers and you're profile indicates your a newer diver.

Last edited by a moderator:
I visit Kissimmee every year and always try to make the effort to dive with Capt Rod at Welcome To Dive Clearwater!
Clearwater is 30 mins after Tampa

Its an hour and a half drive which is a lot closer than the Atlantic locations mentioned ( which I also visit, by the way, but I make them a 3-4 night stay trip rather than a day trip)

You'll need to leave early, 6am for a 7.30 show, 8am go but you will be back in dock by 12.30 after a 2 tank dive and "home" by 2.30. I normally take the family (non divers) who spend the morning on the beach and I join them after my trip
The one downside is that,depending on time of year, they are prone to being cancelled at short notice due to weather

I've also done Dive Quest and agree that its a novelty,tick the box dive rather than a must do. You could actually do Clearwater in the morning and get back to Epcot for an afternoon dive as they are scheduled for 4.30 and 5.30, not mornings. As you're with your son, this might be an idea as, after your dive, you are let out into the park so you could do some rides afterwards if you can get away with it with the missus. You don't pay to enter the park but its an expensive dive and you only get into teh park after your dive not before

I haven't bothered with the springs as a) fresh water is for drinking and b) Clearwater is closer

Always amazes me the area is not mentioned more often whenever the "closest diving to Disney" question is asked

I visit Kissimmee every year and always try to make the effort to dive with Capt Rod at Welcome To Dive Clearwater!
Clearwater is 30 mins after Tampa

Its an hour and a half drive which is a lot closer than the Atlantic locations mentioned ( which I also visit, by the way, but I make them a 3-4 night stay trip rather than a day trip)

You'll need to leave early, 6am for a 7.30 show, 8am go but you will be back in dock by 12.30 after a 2 tank dive and "home" by 2.30. I normally take the family (non divers) who spend the morning on the beach and I join them after my trip
The one downside is that,depending on time of year, they are prone to being cancelled at short notice due to weather

I've also done Dive Quest and agree that its a novelty,tick the box dive rather than a must do. You could actually do Clearwater in the morning and get back to Epcot for an afternoon dive as they are scheduled for 4.30 and 5.30, not mornings. As you're with your son, this might be an idea as, after your dive, you are let out into the park so you could do some rides afterwards if you can get away with it with the missus. You don't pay to enter the park but its an expensive dive and you only get into teh park after your dive not before

I haven't bothered with the springs as a) fresh water is for drinking and b) Clearwater is closer

Always amazes me the area is not mentioned more often whenever the "closest diving to Disney" question is asked

Capt. Rod is excellent! I would say it's closer to 1hr 45mins, we live just North of Clearwater and that's the time it takes us to get to Disney. People often bypass most of the gulf coast diving because it's generally shallow and more often than not we have "green" water instead of the "blue" water that South East Florida is known for. Given that it's four hours to Sout East Florida from Tampa we dive the gulf frequently but if we lived in Orlando (or further East) we would probably make the trip to Jupiter/WPB more frequently.

I've had countless dives out of Clearwater (majority with Capt. Rod) and we enjoy the diving we have close to home but if you have the choice I recommend spending the three hours and drive the South East Florida sites.

Hi, I live in Scotland uk, and i am visiting disney next year. me and my 12 year old son are open water qualified and would like a mornings dive. Can anyone suggest a good dive company or site in that area.

Thank MARK.

Sorry I got mixed up. My reply above was directed more at Mark here rather than JKYLE as he was looking for a morning dive. I meant to include the quote but I'm getting old I guess................

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom