Scuba tank valve handle color

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Felipe S

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

Are there specific colors for specific gases on a scuba tank when it comes to the valve handle color?
Like say I put a yellow handle on, does that mean anything to anyone?

Thanks

dx-70230x_2.jpg

technically there are some color coding whether it's official or unofficial.
NOAA says yellow bottles with green nitrox band for nitrox, and if bottle isn't yellow, it needs a green band with yellow on top and bottom, IIRC with the yellow band being 1" thick on both sides.
Oxygen bottles are supposed to be all white or all green

Other countries use different colors.

I use green for O2 which is pretty standard for that, but other than that it's a bit of a free-for-all and most people assume that any color other than green just means look at the label. If you like one of the other colors and want to make your tanks easier to ID, I think it's a great way to find them if you're regularly on cattle boats or go to a big fill station.

As any regulation goes I dont think so. the marking is the tank color like white for O2. but that is international markings. May times i have seen these color schemes on the crown of the tank and not necessarily the whole tank. And on top of that we use red for argon?

tank color code - Google Search:

upload_2019-7-10_19-56-56.png

technically there are some color coding whether it's official or unofficial.
NOAA says yellow bottles with green nitrox band for nitrox, and if bottle isn't yellow, it needs a green band with yellow on top and bottom, IIRC with the yellow band being 1" thick on both sides.
Oxygen bottles are supposed to be all white or all green

Other countries use different colors.

I use green for O2 which is pretty standard for that, but other than that it's a bit of a free-for-all and most people assume that any color other than green just means look at the label. If you like one of the other colors and want to make your tanks easier to ID, I think it's a great way to find them if you're regularly on cattle boats or go to a big fill station.

That is what I was thinking, quick way to id my tanks.

Not a bad idea to go one step further......Vindicator knobs in color.

I'd say there's nothing wrong with the different colour knobs, but knowing you're GUE trained I'll mention they would scoff at the idea of identifying the tank gas by colour (instead everything has to be analyzed and labeled). Similarly, under that system vindicator knobs have no purpose as the valve check replaces their function. An alternative may be to get some stickers with your name for the side of the cylinders.

Back
Top Bottom