Suggestion Scuba Wiki

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
FritzCat66

FritzCat66

Florida Reef Cat
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Forgive me if anyone else has already suggested this, but I think it's worthwhile to think about establishing a Scuba Wiki, and I can't think of a better place online than Scubaboard.

It would be a major undertaking, but I think there are enough literate and knowledgable people here who would actually take the time to create and edit articles - I mean, just look at how much effort some people go to compose their posts! Wouldn't it be nice if some of that information made its way into a wiki entry rather than become buried in a post somewhere? Especially for those topics that come up over and over again - people could be referred to the Wiki instead.

If we don't do it, nobody will.

Looking forward to someday going to http://wiki.scubaboard.com for answers, and to the behind-the-scenes debates on the "discussion" pages behind each wiki entry.

I like that idea. I can picture a lot of non-biased or argumentative comments though (such as on pages about spare air, snorkels, split fins, etc...)

Yes, I saw that ScubaWiki, but that was started with a limited scope in mind; that was one individual who wanted to expand it to a community, and it flopped.

This one would start with an established community, so the other way around. I'll bet if we started one here the results would be very different. Make it easy to link forum threads to wiki entries and vice-versa, we could create many entries right away that just had links to relevant threads to start off, and it would already be the most comprehensive scuba wiki out there right off the bat. Then we could flesh out the entries as time goes on.

I'm no wiki master, but having participated in the creation and maintenance of some videogame-specific wikis on Wikia, I've seen how people with specific interests will flesh out a wiki over time given just some basic structure.

This is quite doable here... we tossed it around a few years ago, but we were dealing with servers at the time.

I like the idea.I think it would make sorting through the vast amount of info easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom