Scuba-wise, Isabel takes a turn for the better.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, I looked further, and while Floyd was bad, these New England Hurricnaes killed more Americans:

Donna in 1960 - 50; Carol in '54 - 56; Diane in '55 - 184. I'll bet the surviving Yankees were well prepared in '56, after those two preceeding years?! But, Agnes in '72 was barely a Cat-1, but killed 122?!

Hazel came ashore in the Carolinas in 54, then went on to Canada? Killed 90.

Of course, the fatalities of years prior were worse in some storms, when people and structures were less prepared. The New England Hurricane of '38 killed about 600. The Great State Of Texas will always hold the U.S. record, I pray, with the Galveston Hurricane of 1900 killing 8,000 to 12,000.

And the state of Maine even has records of major Hurricane damage. The following storms had a major impact on Maine, and Androscoggin County:
New England Hurricane of 1938
Great Atlantic Hurricane of 1944
Hurricane Carol of 1954
Hurricane Edna of 1954
Hurricane Donna of 1960
Hurricane Gloria of 1985
Hurricane Bob of 1991
For more detailed information on these and other storms, download my report:
Hurricanes and Tropical Storms: Their Impact on Maine and Androscoggin County

All this is offered in hopes that all of our Scuba Board Friends will take all needed precautions to protect themselves if this bad girl turns in.

I remember Floyd, that was the last time I was evacuated from my house. I had about an hour to get my clothes, put the cat in a carrier, tie up the boats and dock, and get the heck out. The fire dept came and shut the power off.
My house, dock and boats were ok in the end, but the flood was so bad I could not get home for a couple of days. (I live between a canal and the Delaware River).
The thought of that happening again is just not particularly exciting.

dandydon once bubbled...
Hazel came ashore in the Carolinas in 54, then went on to Canada? Killed 90.[/SIZE]

This happened the year before I was born... people are still talking about it.

The irony in all of this to me is that I'm trying to plan a trip to the Caribbean mid October and have been trying to source weather trends... and now it looks like we might get smacked around right here at home!

Stoo
"Near-Toronto-ite"

Let's not forget that some of the best wreck diving in the country is off the coast of Virginia and North Carolina, too. That's the "graveyward of the atlantic" out there. Looks like Isabel is drawing a bead right dead on top of it...

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories/images/isabeltracking091403-11pm.jpg

I have lots of friends and family still up there. Fingers crossed for everyone.

Hoping Isy turns east & keeps going!

SueMermaid - I remember Floyd very well - spent 3 days home as the substation powering my office was under 15 feet of water. My Avalon house was not affected, we had about 3 feet storm surge in streets, but that is not uncommon.

If this one hits us, come on down to Sicklerville (my inland digs) & we can comiserate together about the damage being done.... One of my friends lives across the river from you - right on the canal PA side. Already told her to pack up her bags, come down for the week!

Jersey

Jersey, is that an invite? Can I bring Norman? Do you have cable?
:D

But serously folks, I have already made plans to evacuate to a friend's on Thursday, and will bring the candles and the martini ingredients. Something tells me I will be taking Friday off from work, whether I want to or not.

Chicken little, here - your armchair point and click meterologist wannabe... :dork:

Glad H-Isy did not build more power crossing the G-Stream and do more than she did, and I hope all our friends in the area got through it okay. :thumb:

Looking forward to diving on the wrecks there in a couple of weeks. Should be stirred up, even at depth, I'd think? :jump:

Don

Back
Top Bottom