Scuba2000 Rally/Scavenger/Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CDN ff

Contributor
Reaction score
i just read that scuba2000 in toronto is going to have a combination event. I don't know the people, or anything about the event, but it sounds like it might be fun. Anyone here interested in putting together a team to give it a try?
Let me know......

Scuba2000’s Third annual Scuba Car Rally! (The Wet Shop’s 17th)
Ladies, Gentlemen and Kids: Start your engines for the great Scuba2000 car rally! This spring Scuba2000 will celebrate a glorious Sunday with a fun event that involves family and friends! Its part cannonball run, part scavenger hunt and part problem solving. One thing is for sure, it is all FUN!

Date: Sunday June 20th

Time: 8:30 am

Prizes: Yes!

Start: Scuba2000 parking lot

End: Mystery dive site located within 1.5 hr of the Dive store

What is a Car Rally? A car rally is a team event where participants must navigate a road course by answering questions or solving riddles. Along the way the teams must collect items from a scavenger list and arrived at a mystery location. All that counts is the number of solved riddles, questions and the number of scavenger hunt items you have collected, the team with the most points win! Scuba2000 will have one added feature; the mystery location will be an actual dive site. And to complete the day, Scuba2000 will present the winner with a homemade trophy at a barbecue held after everyone has completed the rally.

How does it work? We will all meet at Scuba2000 in the morning of the event. Teams of people will set off with only a full tank of gas, their own wits and a clue book.

What’s in the Clue Book?

First, the clue book includes Written Navigation clues – teams must use the clues to reveal the route of the course and final destination. For example: Instead of simply telling participants to "Turn left at Fraser Street", the clue book might say to "turn left at the end of the wheat field surrounded by a black and white fence." Some might be a little more cryptic with directions such as "turn right where Fraser meets royalty." "Royalty" would be Queen Street.

Questions or Riddles – along the way you will be asked to answer questions relevant to the local area. Correct answers and riddle solutions earn your team points. For example: How many cows does "Wilf, Rose and Sons" have? Along the route you would see a barn with the name written on the barn. In front of the barn would be 432 cows. Some might be a little more difficult. For example: Why is the local library blind? While traveling through one of the small towns you will pass by a local library. You must figure out why it’s blind. In this case the “i” in Library was missing from the sign rendering the library unable to see through its eye.

Scavenger Hunt list of items – each item collected earns bonus points. An example of some items might include a MacDonald’s application form, lamb’s wool, a package of jiffy pop (popped) or even a road apple.

Lastly there is a sealed map included with the clue book – this is to be used in the event that you become lost beyond hope. If your team arrives with the envelope intact your team will earn mega-points. Important note: Speed is penalized – safety is the #1 priority and therefore this event is not timed! The only penalty incurred is if you arrive before the casual (and safe) pace tested by the organizers.
What do I need? All you need to participate is a healthy dose of enthusiasm. This event is for everyone. In fact, there is no reason to miss this event.

Don’t drive or don’t have a car? No problem, we will team you up with someone who needs a navigator or spotter. The rules require that each car must have a driver and a navigator. Cars can also take up to 2 additional passengers to help, (or hinder), navigate, or to take pictures.

No Scuba Gear? No problem, you can either rent it for the day or skin dive.

Not Certified? No Problem, I can recommend a great shop to become certified before the event. Try this store
Want to bring the kids? No problem. The event is fun for all ages and the BBQ picnic a nice relaxing time with plenty of space for games.
I have Father’s Day dinner to attend to. Will I be back in time? The Drive and Dive will start at 8:30am at the Scuba2000. The last car is scheduled to arrive at the mystery dive site at noon. Throw in a BBQ, Dive and prize ceremony and you will be done by 2:30-3:00pm. The Mystery Dive site is within 1.5hours of the Dive store. That puts you back in town by 4:00pm if you stay until the end.

If you have any more questions simply reply to this post. Jay

P.S. We run rain or shine!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom