Scubaboard banner!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Macaws they are! Now can anyone name the type? The one on the right is a little more common, at least in my experience.

I'd still like to know why they keep us company here...

Scuba-sass :)

Banner? What banner?

Originally posted by scuba-sass
Macaws they are! Now can anyone name the type? The one on the right is a little more common, at least in my experience.

Parrots, Macaws, Yellow-Bellied Grossbeaks, whatever... In my book you've got two types of birds: birds. and edible birds. My cats and I seriously disagree on the classifications of the two categories....

I like Parrot better... I mean, how funny is " This Macaw is dead, you sold me a dead Macaw"

See, it just doesn't work!!!

Ty

The one on the right is a Greenwing Macaw. It could be a Scarlet Macaw but I'd have to see more of the wing area to tell for sure. The one on the right is definately a Blue and Gold Macaw, who was vocalizing at the moment that photo was taken!

Technically Walter is correct, parrots don't have naked skin on the face. Any that do are in the Macaw family. However it's common for them to be considered true parrots.

In my before scuba life, I worked at a bird shop hand fed all kinds of baby parrots and Macaws. They are facinating and extremely intelligent.

Dee...Mama to 3 parrots
Rosie - Yellowheaded Amazon, Grace - Guana African Grey, Tootie - Dusky Conure

Hi Dee,

I'm a bird-lover as well, although I haven't had the opportunity to be around them in a number of years. My familly used to run a Tropical Fish & Exotic Bird store for nearly 40 years. (Sold it about 8 or so years ago.)

We had an African Grey named "Smokey" in the store for quite a while, who became quite the Houdini.
- He learned to open his cage door.
- He lerned to open the bolt snap we put on it.
- We had to keep the keys to the padlock far out of his reach, or I swear he would have learned to use them!

We had a Yellow-naped Amazon who always bathed in his water dish when we changed it - but only on Saturday Morning! Even on other days of the week when we opened at the same time - he didn't bathe. How did he know it was Saturday? When we sold him, his owner reported the same behavior. On Saturdays, he would join her in the shower, but not on other days of the week. Spooky!

I agree that the one on the left appears to be a Green Wing. If you look close you can see a touch of green shoulder, but none of the gradual shading to Orange or Yellow you might see on a Scarlet. But the burning question remains...

Why are they in our banner?!?

They all crap on your car so what does it matter. And that is a good question...why are there birds on the banner. There should be sharks! :sharky:

I still say they are parrots! They look like parrots to me!

(it is just easier for my fragile mentality to believe they are parrots. Don't bust my bubble...):bonk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom