Scubapro 109 high pitch sound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver1961

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Am diving a scubapro 109 second stage and as I inhale I hear this very high pitch whine. Other divers hear it too. Only when I inhale. Double Ballance upgraded.

I don't know, sounds a little like darth Vader after a workout. It breathes very good. No problems there.

Any ideas what causes this?

I've had several piston first stages exhibit the same symptom.

I have an mk5 that does what you described. Only at 1700-1900 PSI. If I hold my hand against it I can feel feel the body of the first stage resonating.

I would take it to a dive shop and have them look at it.

I can all but guarantee that if it went into a shop you'd get the "this is junk, upgrade to the latest and greatest", or "we can't service that"

despite the internals being the same as a G250 since it's been upgraded...

I've verified it's not the 1st stage. I put the same regulator on my MK5, MK7, and my MK14. It's difficult to describe the extremely high pitch whistle. Older people (I'm 56) but older than me really don't hear it. But instructors in their 20s hear it loudly. Maby I just need to shelve it for a few years then I won't be able to hear it.

Tell the truth it sounds like darth Vader in the 1973 Star Wars epic. There is a very high frequency component.

I'll try re-greasing / replacing "O" rings and turning the spring around. I can not "feel" the vibration it's more of a whistle.

It could simply be the metal housing. Think I'll try my G250 and compare.

And to clarify, it's not s problem, I just want to understand this phenomenon.

Back
Top Bottom