Scubapro 109 high pitch sound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First stage honking is usually caused by insufficient lubrication of the piston stem and o-ring and/or a polished piston stem. Remove the mirror polish finish from the stem and re-lube with a generous amount of grease.

But let's back up here for just a minute. The OP tried his second stage on multiple first stages and the problem followed. My guess is the lever height is just a little off causing a vibration during inhalation.

Give the un-pressurized 109 a good shake. Any rattling present could indicate the lever is a tad low.
Pull the cover off. Does the diaphragm just kiss the case? If the diaphragm needs too much help to seat in the groove, then the lever height may be a tad high.

See the video

or the G250 rebuild vid and I'm sure you'll find the issue.

BTW I'm not a Star Wars fan, but that movie came out in 1977 and the Darth Vader iconic sound was from a Dacor regulator.
The Dacor Scuba Reg Behind Darth Vader's Breathing

Last edited:
BTW I'm not a Star Wars fan, but that movie came out in 1977 and the Darth Vader iconic sound was from a Dacor regulator.
The Dacor Scuba Reg Behind Darth Vader's Breathing

There were many models of Dacor regs and it’s not clear which one they used exactly. Curiously there was one called Dacor ‘Dart’ and I think it already existed in 1977 when they released the first Star Wars movie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom