"Scubapro Ad 1963"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

regulator bj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Found this add in a copy of "Skin Diver Jan 1963, question was this second stage design ever marketed??
Be good to see proper fotos. SCUBAPRO ADD SKIN DIVER JAN 1963.jpg

I don't recall any of the Scubapro catalogs (even the first one with Healthways) showing anything exactly like that. But that looks like an artistic concept and you can see some resemblance to what their second stages ended up looking like.

I also don't believe that the name on the front "Polaris" was actually used on any Scubapro regulator, but if it was it was a very short time. By the description of the first stage, this could have been the concept of their first Mk-1. The one that was totally recalled.

I think Voit (or Swimaster) might have had a regulator with the name Polaris, but I can't remember for sure.

Very interesting add.

Thanks for posting.

I agree with Luis H, I also agree it is possibly an artistic concept.

A similar Healthways regulator was designed by the late Dick Anderson and appears in the 1960 + Heathway catalog as part # 1665 SCUBA Air single hose regulator.

The regulator with the same "first stage configuration" also appears in the 1962 SCUBA Pro Catalog (Then a division of Healthways-) on page 10 & 11 as part # 7110, SCUBA Air "J" single hose two stage regulator, with built in spring loaded constant reserve (J valve) price $77.50 with and also on page 12 &13 part # 7111, SCUBA Air 300 single hose two stage regulator, with built in sonic reserve price $87.50

Please bear in mind when Gus and Dick purchased the name SCUBA Pro in the Heathway's bankruptcy they also acquired certain items of equipment, and used rebranded Heathway's equipment for a number of years until they could develop the company as a profitable enterprise and begin marketing their own products.

The 1964 SCUBA Pro catalog did not feature the regulator in question but did feature a "SCUBA Pro" regulator part # 7105, single hose two stage regulator price $50.00

The regulator in question was possibly a Heathway's regulator which was available in limited quantities, or may have just been a way to announce to US divers, Voit, Dacor and Swimaster that there was a new player in the game.

SDM

Thanks Luis H ,Sam Miller for the detailed reply's, and Christmas greetings to all on "ScubaBoard" from this side of the pond.

AMF Swimaster in their 1973 catalog lists a R14 Polaris II regulator. It matches the description in the Scubapro ad above.

SeaRat

The Swimaster Polaris is not a balanced piston regulator. The description of the Scubapro regulator mentions that it is a balanced piston.

I am almost certain that Scubapro never actually used the Polaris name, but I wonder when Swimaster started using it.

It is also interesting that Dick Boning worked for Swimaster before he worked for Healthways. I also don't think he was at Healthways very long before they split with the Scubapro company.

Luis and Dr. Sam, I'm a bit confused about the Healthways/Scubapro situation. I have Healthways catalogs dating to 1976, with their unique product line. Scubapro has a time line of SCUBAPRO PRODUCT EVOLUTION that they published in 1986, and again in 2013, showing the company started in 1963. Now, I bought my second regulator, a Healthways Scuba Star, in 1963 for around $36. The Scuba Star was still available in 1976 in the Healthways catalog.

Scubapro says that their first regulator first stage was the Mark 2 in 1963; their 1972 catalog says "The Mark II, the original SCUBAPRO design, first established this unequalled reputation of the most popular regulators of all time..." This was an unbalanced piston with "Enlarged internal air passage..." Scubapro lists the Mark 3 first stage as coming in 1964, and the Mark 1 in 1965. In 1972 they list the Mark III as being their "...moderately priced regulator..." and it was an unbalanced piston design. Scubapro in 1986 lists the "Mark 1 First Stage Regulator" as coming out in 1965. The Mark I (note the difference in the numerals) is listed in 1972 catalog as "Cat. No. 101 Scubapro regulator Mark I, precision balance valve/maximum air flow" for $80. So the Skin Diver Magazine ad above from January of 1963 is a bit premature for the "...precision balanced valve..."

It appears that Scubapro and Healthways competed head-on for about 12 years or so. So I'm confused about when Scubapro took over the operations of Healthways.

By the way, thank you Luis for correcting me about the text being nearly identical to the AMF Voit Polaris regulator.

SeaRat

Scubapro never took over Healthways. Scubapro was initially supposed to be the professional division of Healthways, but it spin off from Healthways around 1963. Healthways was in bankruptcy and was liquidating its assets. Healthways did come back for a number of years, but it finally closed its doors sometime in the early 70's. After 1963 they were two separate companies.

There was a Scubapro Mk-1 before the one that became popular (the one you are showing and evolved into the MK-5). The other Mk-1 was a balanced first stage of a very different design (it was not a flow through piston, but it was balanced). If you do a search you will find some pictures in this board. I have talked about it several time. Scubapro try to do a full recall of that regulator, but a few survived. It seems like Scubapro has tried to erase its existence. It was a bad design.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom