Scubapro Air 2 or Octo reg or both?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pawleysdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What is the current thought on using an Air 2 as the backup reg vs a dedicated octo reg? I have seen pros and cons both ways. I only want to do resort diving-not technical or cave diving.

What is the current thought on using an Air 2 as the backup reg vs a dedicated octo reg? I have seen pros and cons both ways. I only want to do resort diving-not technical or cave diving.

PD...

Strictly personal...as you mentioned...pro's and con's...primary pro is the elimination of one LP hose...primary con...too short to be of much good to anyone but you...

I have an Air II on one of my rebreathers...plugged into integrated primary bailout...

Personally...unless the inflator reg was included at no or little extra cost with a new BCD purchase...I would go with a secondary second stage...worn with a necklace...have at least a 40 inch LP hose on your primary second...and use your primary second as your pass-off reg for a distressed buddy...route the 40 inch hose down off the the first stage...and then up under your right arm...

As well...when travelling you may be diving with a rented BCD...having your reg set configured for inflator regulator...your reg set will be incomplete...and you will have an inflator hose that is not compatible with a standard BCD power inflator...

Again...it's all personal...the above would be my OW ''hot beach'' single cylinder choice...hose orientation is also your choice...based on comfort/access...

Best...

Warren

Its a personal choice. It does streamline your kit and the advantage is its frequently in your hand to add or dump air from your BCD so you know instinctively where it is. Also, a desperate out of air diver may grab the working regulator from your mouth rather than try and locate octopus. I suppose you could have both if your first stage can accommodate the set up with enough ports.

I use the Air2 for recreational diving. Combine that with a computer that does hoseless air integration and you get only two hoses coming from a first stage. I can't articulate how nice the setup is. Also, you reduce a potential failure point by eliminating a hose and the associated attachment points/o-rings etc.

Just make sure you practice using the air2 regularly. Modern air2 regs breathe just as well as a primary reg (at least my air2 is as good as my s600). However they are a little shorter of a hose and you have to use "primary donate" if you need to give gas to an OOA buddy. Personally I prefer primary donate anyway.

Also, you might want to make sure you have a pull dump on your bcd. If you don't have a pull dump then you'll have to modify your ascent slightly I think. If you've got a pull dump, then no issue.

I dive both. I would not want to have to complete a dive on an Air2, but having it there for a few breaths while I sort an issue out is nice. I've used it twice in that manner and was glad it was there.

Jay

What is the current thought on using an Air 2 as the backup reg vs a dedicated octo reg?

What you need to answer is - are you willing to practice (a lot) with it? If not, then don't get it. If so, make sure you are proficient with it and that your buddy knows what the procedure is if it comes down to you donating. Rehearsing with it a couple of times is not learning how to use it. You need to practice, many times, to learn how to use it properly and effectively without any struggle.

Watch the video. A 8:39 he points out a very important factor.

With that being stated, there are a couple of things you should do if you decide to use it. You will want to get a longer primary hose, preferably 40" and add a swivel to it. A Miflex hose will work well for this. The more commonly used hose for the primary second stage is rather short for donating purposes. This is why you will want to get a longer hose.

Practice with it. Don't assume the equipment will do all the work for you. You need to drill to learn how to use it properly.

Good luck.

The current thinking (like everything else on SB) is all over the map. I taught with and used an AIR 2 for over 20 years and liked it. For recreational diving, I agree with the above that configuring your primary with a 40" hose (I like the flex hoses too Regulator Double Braided Flex Hoses | Dive Gear Express® or UltraFlex Low Pressure Hose 40) and an elbow DGX 70 Degree Swivel Adapter, LP 2nd Stage: 9/16-Inch M x 9/16-Inch F | Dive Gear Express® and run it under your right arm is very comfortable and easily managed. I ditched the AIR 2 when I started diving double hose regulators as I had to have an octo anyway (also on a 40" flex hose routed under my right arm.)

But none of our experiences really matter. The OP @Pawleysdiver already owns an AIR 2. I say dive/practice with it and see how you like it.

I use and like the Air2, but everything is a compromise. Having both at once would be kind of crazy; the point of it is to get rid of a hose, not to add another! I don’t have a longish primarily hose with a swivel, but this thread has me thinking... That third regulator should be fed from a pony bottle, not coming from your main tank. As said above, practice with your rig no matter its configuration so you use it instinctively in an emergency.

My population sample is small and my sample set is not a good representation of the larger population but all the people I have met or know with the Air2 have had issues with it at some point or another so I am in the camp of preferring a standard octo. A few of those people had to disconnect their LP hose during a dive until they actually needed to inflate their BC or they would inflate orally because of a leak. What a nightmare it was to be their buddy that one time - I was skeptical of their ability to reconnect quickly in an emergency, then put it in their mouth, then donate their primary to me so I stayed closer to another buddy group and gave them the heads up. The people who continued the dive as is didn't want to swap out the gear because the hose wasn't standard so they couldn't use just any BC/reg combo and they didn't want to use rental gear...I don't blame them for not wanting to use rental gear. One could argue that it is one less hose and that these might have been prevented with good servicing, which these all were, but honestly, the hose is not that big of a deal for me. The perceived trouble and inconvenience I have observed from the Air 2 far outweighs the benefit of one less hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom