ScubaPro Air2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaregia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I got my regs in good order and went to look at the BC. I found the power inflator was leaking where it attaches to the hose, and realized that what I picked up was probably an Air2. Can anyone provide me with the maintenance sheets for the Air2?

Additionally, the plastic clamp that keeps it on the inflator hose doesn't seem to tighten far enough. Should I a) shave down the sides of the clamp so I can tighten it further or b) grab an automotive hose clamp. Additionally, it looks like the previous owner had some sort of junk coating the attachment point. Looks somewhere between teflon and silicone. Anyone know what that's about?

Cheers

Are you at ucsc.edu?

I retire those clamps and use a zip tie (or 2). They usually come new with a little rubber sealer which is unnecessary and easily cleaned off.

I am indeed at ucsc.edu, for almost ten years running (grad school).

Last edited:
Determine what generation your AIR2; the museum may help. The schematic is here, and the manual is here.

AIR2's are tricky to service; I haven't worked up the courage to do mines yet, but then they're only 10-15 years overdue and work like a charm:). couv once wrote a piece about dealing with them without investing in the spider tool, but I can't find it off hand.

Determine what generation your AIR2; the museum may help. The schematic is here, and the manual is here.

AIR2's are tricky to service; I haven't worked up the courage to do mines yet, but then they're only 10-15 years overdue and work like a charm:). couv once wrote a piece about dealing with them without investing in the spider tool, but I can't find it off hand.

I have not found a need for any of the special air2 tools. Deal with the plastic covers gently and with patience. Soaking and hot & cold to loosen up resistant fittings rather than more force. As I recal, I did make a spacer (plastic tube) to install between the housing and the inlet tube in lieu of the orifice which could be damaged to assist in assemblings the poppet minus LP seat in its housing. After the poppet and its associated parts are installed, then again separate the housing and inlet tube and install the orifice and LP seat. Start with the sead screwed well into the inlet tube so it leaks when first put under pressure. Be very gentle with the orifice. It looks like brass but prices like gold.

OOPS!
Shame on me!
It's Master awap Himself who wrote the piece: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/23105-air-2-diy-service-lessons-learned.html
Sincere apologies!

While I'm here: can I assume you re-use the nyloc that's in the annual kit? I see no good reason to replace it on a regular (+/-10 years) basis. I've got all the bits & pieces except that and the seal that's on the quick-disconnect.

So I'm not terribly interested in using the Air2 as a backup reg. I stuck both my R109s on the Mk10, so I've got a nice octo that won't require me to figure out how to breathe and dump air at the same time. My main concern is the power inflator sticking shut. Is this likely? Or to phrase it differently, do I need to service this before I dive it (in the pool first, obviously), or can I do it at my leisure (+/-10 years :) )?

So I'm not terribly interested in using the Air2 as a backup reg. I stuck both my R109s on the Mk10, so I've got a nice octo that won't require me to figure out how to breathe and dump air at the same time. My main concern is the power inflator sticking shut. Is this likely? Or to phrase it differently, do I need to service this before I dive it (in the pool first, obviously), or can I do it at my leisure (+/-10 years :) )?

If you don't need the Air2 as a BU reg, then it is just an unnecessary source of leaks. It is not that they are that bad, but a simple inflator is just so much simpler. Fine for a temporary solution while you find an inexpensive std inflator.

eBay my best bet for that? I'm seeing random ones for $25 or so shipped.

If you don't want the air2, depending on what generation you have, you might try going to your local scubapro dealer and offering a trade for a new power inflator. If its a newer air2, the store would jump at the deal. Just a thought. :)

Back
Top Bottom