Scubapro classic bc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tight rope walker

Contributor
Reaction score
I need to know if there are other divers experiencing the same problem with this piece of gear as I am. I recently had to purchase a new bc to replace my original one that, after 29 years started to leak. The new one closest to the one I had was the Scubapro Classic plus. The original Scubapro was an extra large, so I just ordered an extra large to replace it. Immediately after recieving it and placing a tank in it, I discovered Scubapro had lowered the bacpac an additional 5 inches from the previous model. Let me explain, if you take a measure from the top of the molded in handle to the collar line on the old one you come up with 3 1/2 inches. On the new one, it's 8 inches. Instinctively, if you now try to lower the bacpac to raise the tank, instead of the tank being perpendicular to your body, it now starts to fall backward. This condition now doesn't afford you alot of slack in your low pressure hose. I originally brought this to Scubapros attention over four months ago in the form of a video where I pointed everything out. I have most recently contacted tech services where I am told that this is the first they have heard of this. I personally like this style, in as much as I donot use the intergrated weights. I have pictures to prove everything I state, and am interested in hearing from other divers with the same issue. The illogical placement of this bacpac has lended itself to numerous problems, that could be easily remedied if Scubapro just went back to thier original configuration. Rich

I have a large size in the Classic Plus and I just measured that distance and it's about 7" on the large size. But I have no issues at all with how/where my tank sits on the bc and how it feels when I wear it. I also replaced an older Scubapro jacket with this one but really never noticed a difference in the comfort level and functionality with the new one compared to the old one.

The Classic Sport is essentially the old Stab Jacket. The Classic Plus is way different from your old BC.

I initialy had the classic sport, but it displayed the same problem. If I could post my pictures, you would see with out question what the problem is. I am also aware of what the changes are over my old bc and the new one. So far I have owned three of this style and they all display the same idiosyncrocy.

Instinctively, if you now try to lower the bacpac to raise the tank, instead of the tank being perpendicular to your body, it now starts to fall backward. This condition now doesn't afford you alot of slack in your low pressure hose.
Did you mean parallel to your body?

I had a Classic Plus, and I had no problem positioning the tank so that I could reach the valve and so that it sat snugly against my back. From your description, I am envisioning the tank valve sagging away from your back when you are in a standing position. If that is the case, is it a problem when you are diving and in the prone position? Either way, it sounds to me like the bc is too big around the shoulders. Obviously just a guess. To preempt the general clamor, let me suggest an infinitely adjustable backplate and wings.:wink:

I would love to post my pictures, but I donot know how. I have thought all along that Scubapros' sizing in this particular model is all wrong. Once again by thier own size chart I should be in an extra large, and the large is too small. I notice in some of thier other models they offer a xxl. Perhaps the sizing got mixed up. And your observations are correct. The tank hangs way over my back. While underwater I am constantly pulling the tank forward. I never ever had this problem with my old jacket, thats why I decided to stay with this model. But look at the measurements I have provided. You cannot drop that pac that far down without expecting to cause problems some where else along the way.

I started with the old Stab Jacket. I now have the Classic Sport. The back pack is positioned identically in both. I even installed a Classic Sport bladder on ther original back pack.

Well if that's the case Walter, then Scubapro has a problem. My measurements are correct. Apparently in your sizing the measurements haven't changed. I have contacted Scubaboard more than once asking how to post my pics on this forum. So far I have gotten no response. It would not be practicle to hold the exact same measurement from one bag to the next. As the size of the bag changes, the specs should also. According to Scubapros' size chart, that bc should accommadate a diver from 6' 1'' to 6' 3''. I am 6' 1''. If that bags hanging off me as it is, how do you think it's gonna look on a diver 6'3''?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom