Scubapro classic bc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is the main reason I joined Scubaboard, was to exchange ideas and start healthy debate. You are right in your accesment of when you tune the reg to the point it won't free flow, it's difficult to breath. When confronted with a similar problen once I actually tried to cover the diaphram with my hand rather than turn the reg down. Ofcourse that didn't work. HA HA HA! But Halemano, you have to admit, Scubapro invented the adjustable second stage. In fact it's used in the super lite 17. Would you atleast give them that?

I,m goona go out on a limb here and say Merry Christmas

Since I have been buying modern scuba gear (2000) I have only been interested in a few important criteria; does it do what I need it to do, does it do what I want it to do, is it well made and reliable, is it reasonably priced, is the customer service good?

From my experience and research, SP products have a premium price, an average quality and questionable customer service. I am not scared to dive with other divers using SP and I did not quit the boat I worked on with SP gear, but I prefer to work for companies that do not use SP because they seem to be better companies. The rental gear that I have been most impressed with, that works best for the customers, the employees and the business owners is SeaQuest BC's, Oceanic regs and Mares fins.

It's kind of like trucks in oil and gas exploration. I worked in Montana, North Dakota, Alaska, Utah, Nevada, Colorado and Texas. The only company I saw using Chevy was Teledyne Exploration. At that time Teledyne was one of the biggest companies in the world. The Exploration division seemed to be a tax right off. All the Exploration companies that were dependent on profits from exploration were using Ford. Just because Chevy invented some stuff was hardly a reason to pay more for something that didn't work better, or even as well.

If you crank the Air2 down to where it will not free flow in these conditions it will be really hard to get a breath off it; it is not just a simple adjustment IMHO. . :)

I have considerable experience using air 2 with the dacor scooters. I have never had a problem with freeflow from scooter action, but I must admit that as the AIR 2 seat wears, I simply stick an allen wrench down the inflation tube and tigten up the seat many times before it needs real maintenenance. It is definitely de-tuned, but it is my plan C bailout regulator and I won't bitch if it is hard to breath.

It is a simple adjustment IMHO

In my dubios career as I trukdriver, which started in 1974, I have done natural gas pipeline work for Delta Gulf outta Shreveport La, and Henkells And Mccoy, outta Blue Bell Pa. On all the spreads I worked on, the truck of choice was the Ford lt 9000 with a big cam cummins, coupled to a fuller roadranger rto 9513. With all the big name and big money trucks they could have had or used, they used a ford. Up until these spreads I thought as a truckdriver I was pretty good. But when you're stringing pipe up a mountain, with a 8 infront pulling, another 8 behind you pushing........well let's just say it's the real deal. Those hands on the line move more equipment in a day then these folks move in a lifetime.

It's apparent your dis-like for Scubapro, and I respect you for that. The problem is, wether we like a company or not, we can not ignore the fact of what that company has acchieved, in this case some of the things Scubapro has invented. If you had read some of my other threds in other forums you would see that, I now have to drive four hours round trip to get the service I had become accustom to. I was what you would call a shop rat, I lived breathed spent all my time in Providence Rhode Island. The original shop owner was somebody I trusted and respected as he himself had been diving forever. When he spoke, I listen. I never once had to second guess him, nor did I ever have to call the company.....not once. WELLLLLLLLLLLLLL don't you know that one day he decided to retire...........AND DID NOT ASK ME! He sold the shop to new owners and that was that. At that point I became a Ronin. From that point to about two years ago I was having a hard time finding people who could rebuild a sp mk5 first stage,109 adjustable second stadge. You see my shop would rebuild it right in front of me. Now I was getting," well we will have to send it out", or " well we've seen pictures of a mk5". I don't want somebody working on my reg from a schematic because that tells me that they heven't done it enough times for them to be comfortable. Now once again my regs are rebuilt right in front of me as I wait. I'm given alittle zip lock bag with the old parts and off I go. The trouble is around here alot of the experienced shops are gone, and the new ones that come and go, frankly, just dont have the experience. You might have the largest inventory in the area, but if you do not have the experience with the line or a particular piece of gear, you are not best serving your customer.

I know you have been following this post, and in doing so you have seen I have said some derrogatory remarks about Scubapro. I have named names, given time frames, provided pictures, all of which are not flattering. This is not the first problem with a piece of thier gear I have owned. There was this little problem last year of my wifes alladin prime computor eating batteries. In my video to the company, I made refferance to that incident as well.

Through this all, I have tried my hardest to be objective, to seperate opinion from fact. I have a ton of opinions none of which mean anything. When push comes to shove, you had better have your facts straight, or you are going to look like a fool. I am not as concerned about what I look like, as I am about the final outcome . I would like to achieve that in a honorable way, as I won't hit below the belt. Shame on me.

Finally I would like to leave you with this little piece of history. The facts are accurate, and though we hate what had happened, we can't change the facts.

On 14 October 1939, Commander Guntien Prien of the uboat u47 apparently did the impossible. He took the u47 into a heavily Gaurded English harbor at Scapa Flow Scotland, and sank the English Battleship Royal Oak.....right under the noses of the British. Then to add insult to injury, he got away undetected. Dirty rotten nazis SOB!!!!!!!!

I am not going to waste your time with detail here, but apparently the wreck is comparable to the Arizona in that it is a sunken tomb as I believe 800 men are still entombed inside.

Now, if I were running the show, and had to comment on that incident, I know what I would have said, and it would not have been pretty! But after reviewing the details of the incident, I was shocked at Winston Churchills response. This is true character and leadership........

" A remarkable exploit of professional skill"........ Sometimes in our Character halemano We have to give the devil his due, now that doesn't mean you can't hate him in the morning!

and halemano, let me add this. I use the very same criteria as you in selecting gear.

When I first started, except for my mask, finns, and snorkel, all the gear was hand me downs from my dad. Now don,t get me wrong, I got presents. But for the most part the gear was useddddddddddddddddd. In 1980, I started buying my own gear. I was introduced to sp by then dive partner no. 2. I have had only 4 partners in my career, 1 being my dad.

Most of my gear, by todays standards, is out dated. the problem is it does everything it is suppose to, and does it very well. I did not update my main gear till this year. That being said........

My drysuit is a Viking Pro....not sp
The undergarment is DUI......not sp
The gloves are DUI.....not sp
My lights are Ikelite.........Not sp
My bottom timer ( your're gonna like this ) is a princeton techtronics....not sp
My full face mask is a Cressi-sub....not sp I purchased a AGA for some work I had, but to be frank I got alittle light headed once which I contributed to CO2 build up, so I got rid of it.
My main mask is a old silicone Dacor that actually fits my fat German head
And, I know your'e gonna love this to, my mane camera is a hanimex 35 mm amphibian.

I would like to bring the members of Scubaboard up to date with what's going on with my Scubapro stabilizing jacket/bc, that I originally posted on 2 December, 2009
Scubapro has taken it upon themselves to replaced my classic plus with their latest and newest version, the classic unlimited.
The classic unlimited has some new features that I really like,
the dump valve actuator is lower, one of the things I took issue of,
the oral inflator hose seems to be smaller and longer and hangs against the bc better,
the bc itself seems to be sleeker, and not as bulky as the previous model,
but the feature I personally like the most is the pouches behind the two pockets, this gives the diver the ability to put his console there, or what ever for quick retrieval.

As my air 2 is in the shop for it's annual service, I have not had the chance to get it wet yet.
But I am looking forward to diving this bc.

I would like to thank Scubapro for resolving this issue in a positive manner.

I would also like to personally thank Bob, of Bobs' Sea and Ski, in Newbedford Massachusetts for all his help. He is the reason I make a four hour round trip to his shop.

As always, I can only speak for myself. You may pay a little more up front for Scubapro gear, but in the long run it is well worth the investment.

Hey Buddy!

I'm glad everything seems to be working out for you. I hope you will really like the Classic Unlimited. The only thing I'm pissed about is that you even mentioned the Classic Unlimited and it's features. So now I'm wondering if I should sell my Classic Plus and buy the newest one. :D After just buying their new Seawing Nova fins and a new Atomics T2X reg I feel as if I NEED a new BC.

So when I buy one and my wife kicks me out, I'll need a place to bunk for a while. So I'll be headed your way soon. It's all your fault you know!

HA HA HA! If you like the cold, you can stay with me. I have to tell you, and through this ordeal, I have been painfully honest,

I believe you will really like the classic unlimited, as I believe it has some neat features.

Also, if you do not mind porridge, you are welcome for supper.

Also, if you're really nice to me, I might let you use one of my pilot regs.

WOW!

What more could a man ask for!

Thanks and good luck with your new BC!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom