Scubapro Classic Plus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

f&rdiver241

Registered
Reaction score
Our LDS is really pushing these BC's (Scubapro Classic Plus w/ Air2) for PSD work...Anyone ever had any experience with these....Two of our local teams swear by them also....i know everyone likes the backplate wing setup....i am wanting us to atleast go with a back inflate bc like the zeagle ranger or tech...or something along those lines......anyone know of any advantages to the classic plus over a bp&w setup or back inflate.....they say it works just like a back inflate because the air all goes to the back when paralell to the bottom or goes to the shouldrs when upright....my only concern is this,,,if this is such a good BC then why do you never see a tech diver wearing them......i need some advice bad before our team is stuck with this POS in my opinon.
Personally i am pushing for an OMS harnes and plate w/ 60# single bladder with retracting bands....
Any advise will be greatly appreciated

f&rdiver241:
Our LDS is really pushing these BC's (Scubapro Classic Plus w/ Air2) for PSD work...Anyone ever had any experience with these....Two of our local teams swear by them also....i know everyone likes the backplate wing setup....i am wanting us to atleast go with a back inflate bc like the zeagle ranger or tech...or something along those lines......anyone know of any advantages to the classic plus over a bp&w setup or back inflate.....they say it works just like a back inflate because the air all goes to the back when paralell to the bottom or goes to the shouldrs when upright....my only concern is this,,,if this is such a good BC then why do you never see a tech diver wearing them......i need some advice bad before our team is stuck with this POS in my opinon.
Personally i am pushing for an OMS harnes and plate w/ 60# single bladder with retracting bands....

The Classic is not a bad BC, but I wouldn't want it for PSD work. I don't think it has enough lift or d-rings to be suitable for that. Our team uses both Rangers and Dacor Rig II's, and the overall favorite seems to be the Ranger. Either way, they're both back inflate with plenty of lift and d-rings. Just my limted experience speaking here, but it works for us. Maybe Gary will speak to this, he has loads of experience in this field....

f&rdiver241:
Our LDS is really pushing these BC's (Scubapro Classic Plus w/ Air2) for PSD work...Anyone ever had any experience with these....i need some advice bad before our team is stuck with this POS in my opinon.
Gotta' jump in here. I of course have my biases so here's my 2 cents worth.

You either got a jacket BC or wings (using a drysuit for BC isn't an option for PSD). The lastest wiz bang jacket BC is still a jacket BC -- same concept different package.

Our team uses a variety of jacket BC's with Air2's (including ScubaPro -- no difference). First of all, Air2's are expensive to maintain and a poor choice. They work fine, but think about an OOA situation. Your buddy is OOA, so you get to breathe your Air2, and control buoyancy for both of you! That's a trick. A pony setup is better. If you do decide to go with Air2's -- our team is dumping ours -- maybe you guys could get ours cheap?!

I still am biased toward wings back plate though. Let's face it, control is the main issue -- wings let you do that better and in a horiz. position. I'd stay away from the bondage wings though -- just more entanglement potential. Water pressure compresses them to solve any drag issues, and on the surface, who cares?!

We are transitioning out of jacket BC's as well -- though maybe only for special types of dives (e.g. lengthly deep searches with doubles). Jacket BC's are quick to don so they're good for rescue -- doubt we'll ever leave them entirely...

Hope that helps.

f&rdiver241:
I'd recomend against it. They are trying to push a sport BC onto a PSD application and there are better options around the corner. Not being adjustable sucks for this business. That thing is way to much money.

A good tough affordable unit is the Zeagle Tech. Close to a BP and wings. I have to disagree with a prior post that it is a jacket style because it isn't.

NO Air2's for PSD, Period.

Gary D.

The Classic Plus has padding and cummerbunds. Not good things to have in any situation. I don't recommend it even for sightseeing on a reef. The Air II isn't bad for some situations, they are a horrible choice for your unit.

In a previous life (actually until March of this year) I was involved in Sales for my "real" job. As a salesman, you sell what you have available. Since most Scubapro shops I have visited, generally do not sell much else, he probably doesn't have any alternatives for you. It may be the best he has to offer. Personally, I like and use back inflate, not a jacket. The rest of the team has Jackets as our local dive shop had those available to sell when they bought them.

I do not like the use of AIR 2 in PSD. For recreational, I have an octo. For PSD, I use a pony. As someone else indicated, too confusing to maintain bouyancy and breath, and don't forget about maintaining contact with your dive partner who is now using your primary.

Dan

f&rdiver241:
...anyone know of any advantages to the classic plus over a bp&w setup or back inflate

I just ordered a Scubapro Classic Plus for PSD diving to replace my Scubapro S-Tek Harness with back inflation. I don't like the fact that it is harder to don over my dry suit, but for me jacket-style bcds are the way to go for PSD. Personally, I found I do not care for back inflation after having been initially convinced several years ago by other, more senior, public safety divers that I needed it. Here are my reasons for going away from back inflation (for reference: I've been using back inflation for PSD for the last 5 years...not a long time but long enough to figure out my preferences):

1) In a back inflation bcd, I found there is a strong tendency to be pitched forward towards a face down position when on the surface. To overcome this I either have to do a slight kick, lean way back to compensate, or not fully inflate the bcd. I also choose not to put non-ditchable weights on my tank or anywhere on my bcd that I cannot reach. Being pitched face down may make it difficult to survive if unconscious on the surface. I've found that jacket style bcds permit you to float very stable on the surface and face-out-of-the-water if unconscious. When on the surface, I want to be able to relax completely (this is important for multiple dives and/or a strenous operation) and I do not want to compensate at all by having to perform even a slight kick.

2) Because of the forward pitch, I found out while practicing rescue scenarios there was some difficulty doing rescue breathing particularly when the victim was not very bouyant. It required considerable effort to keep the person above water and fight the forward pitch, and I am a fairly strong swimmer and a strong person.

3) The Classic is a stabilizing jacket. I like the concept of the increased stabilization of the air being free to circulate around the diver...essentially: it is more stable because the diver actually "rotates" around the air in the bcd. I've noticed in PSD, I'm oftentimes trying to maintain a stable position in the water while being sideways, upside-down, on my back, etc., so this is welcome.

The Class has four D-rings, two high, two low. This is enough for me. I hang my pony on the right side and I've got two more to hang a float and a back-up light or whatever else I need readily available for the particular dive scenario. I like to keep all the other crap in the pockets! The Classic has four zippered pockets. Alot of the "extra necessary things" like my slate, extra rope, compass, and all the other stuff is stowed away and aren't entanglement hazards. I used to have hang all kinds of from all my D-rings and got tired of looking more like an accessory stand in a scuba shop than a streamlined and ready for action PS diver. :wink:

As far as comments about the Air 2. I love mine. I always use my pony too. This gives me multiple options when that panicked diver takes away your primary. Also when that panicked diver rips off your full face mask and realizes "oh, that's not going to be easy to put on so I'll snatch his pony reg!" It's just another, easy to locate option. I'll deal with the ascent issues once my breathing issue is solved!

I hope my view are helpful and certainly welcome any comments. Seems like most of the postings disagree with my points of view...

The Classic Sport has all the features you mentioned except it has 2 velcro pockets instead of 4 zippered pockets. The big advantage of the Sport over the Plus is it is streamlined.

scubadiver214:
I just ordered a Scubapro Classic Plus for PSD diving to replace my Scubapro S-Tek Harness with back inflation. I don't like the fact that it is harder to don over my dry suit, but for me jacket-style bcds are the way to go for PSD. Personally, I found I do not care for back inflation after having been initially convinced several years ago by other, more senior, public safety divers that I needed it. Here are my reasons for going away from back inflation (for reference: I've been using back inflation for PSD for the last 5 years...not a long time but long enough to figure out my preferences):

1) In a back inflation bcd, I found there is a strong tendency to be pitched forward towards a face down position when on the surface. To overcome this I either have to do a slight kick, lean way back to compensate, or not fully inflate the bcd. I also choose not to put non-ditchable weights on my tank or anywhere on my bcd that I cannot reach. Being pitched face down may make it difficult to survive if unconscious on the surface. I've found that jacket style bcds permit you to float very stable on the surface and face-out-of-the-water if unconscious. When on the surface, I want to be able to relax completely (this is important for multiple dives and/or a strenous operation) and I do not want to compensate at all by having to perform even a slight kick.

2) Because of the forward pitch, I found out while practicing rescue scenarios there was some difficulty doing rescue breathing particularly when the victim was not very bouyant. It required considerable effort to keep the person above water and fight the forward pitch, and I am a fairly strong swimmer and a strong person.

3) The Classic is a stabilizing jacket. I like the concept of the increased stabilization of the air being free to circulate around the diver...essentially: it is more stable because the diver actually "rotates" around the air in the bcd. I've noticed in PSD, I'm oftentimes trying to maintain a stable position in the water while being sideways, upside-down, on my back, etc., so this is welcome.

The Class has four D-rings, two high, two low. This is enough for me. I hang my pony on the right side and I've got two more to hang a float and a back-up light or whatever else I need readily available for the particular dive scenario. I like to keep all the other crap in the pockets! The Classic has four zippered pockets. Alot of the "extra necessary things" like my slate, extra rope, compass, and all the other stuff is stowed away and aren't entanglement hazards. I used to have hang all kinds of from all my D-rings and got tired of looking more like an accessory stand in a scuba shop than a streamlined and ready for action PS diver. :wink:

As far as comments about the Air 2. I love mine. I always use my pony too. This gives me multiple options when that panicked diver takes away your primary. Also when that panicked diver rips off your full face mask and realizes "oh, that's not going to be easy to put on so I'll snatch his pony reg!" It's just another, easy to locate option. I'll deal with the ascent issues once my breathing issue is solved!

I hope my view are helpful and certainly welcome any comments. Seems like most of the postings disagree with my points of view...
I checked out your home page and noticed your team is Rescue and Recovery.

I have a couple of questions.
Do your team members standardize your dive gear or do you dive what you brought?
How long have you been doing PSD?
How many recoveries (bodies or items)?
How many Golden Hour Rescues?

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom