Scubapro Classic Plus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.:
I checked out your home page and noticed your team is Rescue and Recovery.

I have a couple of questions.
Do your team members standardize your dive gear or do you dive what you brought?
How long have you been doing PSD?
How many recoveries (bodies or items)?
How many Golden Hour Rescues?

Gary D.

Gary,

Here are the answers to your questions:

We use standardized full face masks and comms, but regarding BCDs and suits: we dive our own stuff. No funds for standardized stuff (yet); hoping and saving to purchase a better boat and side scan sonar before we go with standardized gear. We're just a volunteer agency.

I've only been doing PSD for a little less than 6 years.

I only have 3 body recoveries, 2 weapon recoveries, and 10 or so vehicle recoveries.

I have no golden hour rescues.

I'm sense I'm getting set up for you to make a point, so go ahead: I'm ready to learn...(that is, of course, if I agree :wink: ) All kidding aside, please...go ahead, I'm open...

Dave

scubadiver214:
Gary,

Here are the answers to your questions:

We use standardized full face masks and comms, but regarding BCDs and suits: we dive our own stuff. No funds for standardized stuff (yet); hoping and saving to purchase a better boat and side scan sonar before we go with standardized gear. We're just a volunteer agency.

I've only been doing PSD for a little less than 6 years.

I only have 3 body recoveries, 2 weapon recoveries, and 10 or so vehicle recoveries.

I have no golden hour rescues.

I'm sense I'm getting set up for you to make a point, so go ahead: I'm ready to learn...(that is, of course, if I agree :wink: ) All kidding aside, please...go ahead, I'm open...

Dave
I’m not trying to set you up for anything. I was just curious as to why someone would revert back to old technology when there have so many advances in BC technology.

I’m against jacket BC’s for a lot of reasons. They are hard to get into and out of should you have a problem. You can’t just undo a shoulder and roll out of it.

Just as an example, If you have a Golden Hour Rescue and need to enter something, say a vehicle, that extra bulk in front might cause you problems.

Pockets are nice at times but most of the time PSD’s take way too much with them. If you have a pocket it gets filled. If you have two pockets they get filled. Three pockets they get filled. We actually don’t need pockets the majority of the time.

I would work on the gear issue before the SS. Maybe even the boat. Go to the boat dealers in your area and see if they will either donate a good used boat or let your team demo a new boat every year. It does work. We have 4 New PWC’s to use every year. The companies have programs to do promotions like that.

The SS is another issue. Go to all the surrounding counties and have them chip in. Our unit is going to run in the 70K bracket. There are less expensive units but this is the one we use and like. For that price we can get two fish (heavy and light) and two cables (30 meter and 500 meter) plus the soft start/stop winch, GPS and computer. That gives us a main installed unit plus a portable unit to hand deploy.

We are going in with 19 out of 20 counties. Than brings the cost down to around $3500.00 each. Now that expensive unit is affordable. BUT there is ONLY ONE team that travels with it and it goes after all local resources have been exhausted.

For S&R/Recovery mixing gear is fine as long as everyone knows who has what and how it works. In Rescue it is important that the gear match. There just isn’t time to check this and check that it all has to click like clockwork.

A little drill I like to pull on the troops is in a dark room to put the gear together and get dressed. We are uniform enough that any team member could do it with any other member’s gear without a flaw. The only thing stopping us from doing all the gear is size. We have some real small and some real big people at various times.

Think about the jacket a little more.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
I’m against jacket BC’s for a lot of reasons. They are hard to get into and out of should you have a problem. You can’t just undo a shoulder and roll out of it.

Just as an example, If you have a Golden Hour Rescue and need to enter something, say a vehicle, that extra bulk in front might cause you problems.

Pockets are nice at times but most of the time PSD’s take way too much with them. If you have a pocket it gets filled. If you have two pockets they get filled. Three pockets they get filled. We actually don’t need pockets the majority of the time.

Think about the jacket a little more.

Gary D.

Gary,

I certainly appreciated your comments about getting another boat and side scan sonar. I think checking with local boat dealers for a demo or used boat and sharing the cost of SS sonar with other agencies/communities are fantastic ideas and I'll pass them on to my chief. Thanks!

Regarding the jacket bcd: for all the reasons I listed in my previous posting, I strongly favor the jacket style bcd. I've been diving with back inflation for 5 years now and I wholeheartedly welcome the thought of finally being able to stow my harness and wings in the back of my Blazer for the rare event that it, rather than my new jacket bcd, is the right tool for getting the job done. I'm loving the jacket style's stability under the water and particularly on the surface and plan on using it for most operations.

I checked your profile and I don't have nearly the PSD experience that you have, but I've had enough personal diving experience with both styles of bcds to know my preference.

I agree with you that jackets are much harder to get out of, but it can be done, and it is an unusually rare event that makes it is necessary to do this. I'm willing to trade the frustrations I experience with that forward pitching motion of the back inflation for increased stability of the jacket bcd and I'll invest the time and practice necessary into learning to remove my jacket bcd for contingencies.

I forgot to mention that I'm muscular and very negative in the water. For me, this may aggravate the forward pitching motion of back inflation.

There is usually a cost/benefit analysis for just about every decision we make, and I understand that the "extra bulk" in front me in a jacket bcd is a disadvantage I'm willing to accept to gain the advantages I perceive.

Regarding the technology being old, I've yet to use new-fangled fins that out do my jet fins.

Last comment: Regarding the pockets, I'm against having a lot of things dangling from my bcd. That's why I like pockets. I feel d-rings and "danglies" are entanglements. My dive team operates primarily in rivers and our greatest safety issue is typically entanglement. Therefore I try to stay as streamlined as possible. Given the requirements of a given operation, my team's SOPs require that I carry any combination of the following supplemental gear in or on my bcd (and I prefer to utilize the "triangle" between the shoulders and the belly button): slate, knife, back-up knife, scissors, marker bouy, extra line, light, back-up light, and strobe. I want my primary knife readily available and accessible, not on my leg but in the "triangle," and my back-up knife in a different location. Unless a light is big, all the rest can fit comfortably in the Scubapro Classic's pockets. Maybe you use a lot more supplemental gear than we do, but what I listed is pretty much a complete listing of what my team's SOPs require of each diver. (We also have a harness in for line and arc searches but it is worn under the bcd.)

That's enough for now. I'm new to Scubaboard and I'm really enjoying being able to share and debate ideas with you guys who are doing the same thing and also being able to learn from guys who are more experienced. I'm sorry I don't necessarily agree on this jacket bcd thing though.

Dave

Ahh! Isn't life grand? We all have the ability to agree to disagree in how we approach our jobs and gear!

I am a strong believer in what works for one will (or may) not work for another. Every individual is different and the fit and function of the gear is different. What is important to one may very well be insignificant to another.

Personally, I prefer back inflation. I utilize a Dacor Rig Pro which has been described as a poor imitation to a backplate and wings. I am comfortable in it and it works well for me. Since I tend to spend more time underwater, that is more important to me than trying to float vertically on the surface. One item I have learned with the back inflation is to NOT overinflate on the surface. I just add the amount of air I need to maintain floation. Otherwise, it does force you over.

I had started with a jacket type of BC many years ago and I like the back inflate. In fact, w/ integrated weights. I have never had to ditch weights in my diving career (knock, knock, knock), but the integrated give me the ability to ditch half or all if I feel the need to. Again, preference and comfort. Not everyone will agree. God I love this country!

The key is to keep an open mind, share your ideas, and listen to what others have to say. I plan to learn every day of my life, until the plant me!

Dan

Back
Top Bottom