Scubapro/Faber LP 75.8 Chromemoly Steel Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Doobie Do

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been offered a Faber LP 75.8 along with this nifty catalog shot.
I want to buy myself a tank but I'm a bit of an air hog so I was hoping to buy 80-104ish CF.
How would this bad boy compare to an aluminum 80? Would I even notice the difference in capacity? How do they compare otherwise in the grand scale if bm singles tanks?

fabers.jpg

Last edited:
An AL80 is 77.4 cu ft at 3000, and this tank is 75.8 cu ft at 2400..... Not much else to be said...

Leisure Pro has the steel XS scuba 100's with the valve that shows whether they are on or off right now for 334. Thats a pretty good deal for that tank. Free delivery.

Actually there is more to be said. The cylinder has a plus rating so it is 75.8 cu ft at 2640 psi. I fill mine to 3000psi so it more like 86 cu ft.

What are the odds a cylinder not hydro tested since it's 95 date would still get a plus rating today?

pretty good if the testing is done correctly and the hydro tester bothers to check the ree value.

Agreed, the key though is the tester having the REE values. These cylinders (and many older cylinders) not have the REE value stamped on them. As such, one needs to provide them. I have the REE values for my cylinders via an email from Faber and Bud Allen who is the USA distributor. That email was good enough for my hydro tester.

An AL80 is 77.4 cu ft at 3000, and this tank is 75.8 cu ft at 2400..... Not much else to be said...
Most if not all current LP steel tanks are at their rated volume with the 10% plus rating not their rated working pressure.

Most if not all current LP steel tanks are at their rated volume with the 10% plus rating not their rated working pressure.

The cylinder has a plus rating so it is 75.8 cu ft at 2640 psi. I fill mine to 3000psi so it more like 86 cu ft.

The interesting thing is these tanks (or at least the ones I have) never came new with a "+", so it ends up a periodic challenge to get the 10% overfill... (3300 & 2640 respectively). I even have instances where getting 3k on my MP71.4 is difficult.

YMMV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom