Question Scubapro hose spline wrench does not fit over hose fitting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I buy regs that have been left in the juice from their last dive, these regs are all well over 20 years old, I've never needed to hold jam nut to undo hose.

I did however crack a case once trying to get a jam nut off off a reg that had apparently only a few months earlier been serviced by SP HQ in Japan, boy was it on tight. Was not my reg but a local diver friend, had to find a new case, felt really bad about it, thanks @Kupu 🙏

It should be noted that the posts above probably only apply to Scubapro regs. The square broach molded into the case is the strongest in the industry. You can indeed just unscrew the hose, then unscrew the jam nut if you're going to service the second stage.
But with almost every other brand out there, holding the jam nut with a second wrench is the only thing keeping the barrel from rotating slightly inside the case. This puts the lever out of true, and may open the valve due to the changed geometry. And  every future hose change may do the same thing, now that the lands inside the case that align the barrel are damaged.
It gets worse. The new Apeks MTX-RC second stage has such a flimsy case that they specify holding the barrel in a vise at the knob end every time you tighten the jam nut. I can just imagine what happens inside when someone changes a hose and really honks it down tight.

It should be noted that the posts above probably only apply to Scubapro regs. The square broach molded into the case is the strongest in the industry. You can indeed just unscrew the hose, then unscrew the jam nut if you're going to service the second stage.
But with almost every other brand out there, holding the jam nut with a second wrench is the only thing keeping the barrel from rotating slightly inside the case. This puts the lever out of true, and may open the valve due to the changed geometry. And  every future hose change may do the same thing, now that the lands inside the case that align the barrel are damaged.
It gets worse. The new Apeks MTX-RC second stage has such a flimsy case that they specify holding the barrel in a vise at the knob end every time you tighten the jam nut. I can just imagine what happens inside when someone changes a hose and really honks it down tight.
Thanks for the information. I was a bit afraid to just unscrew the hose. I had purchased a couple of the Scuba Tools Just a Wrench. I could fit it over the hose side but the regulator. I ended up purchasing one of these multitools to hold the spline on the 2nd stage:

Attachments

• 61Bc9gpyljL._AC_SL1001_.jpg
    61Bc9gpyljL._AC_SL1001_.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 50

Yes, good point to note, I'm only talking about SP regs. Never do this with Apeks, I'm sure there are others. Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom