Question Scubapro hose spline wrench does not fit over hose fitting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm confused, obviously a comprehension fail on my part, why do you need the tool for the hose? If you want to undo spline nut then you'd first undo standard fitting hose nut with a spanner or such and then you have the tool to undo spline nut, which you'd only be doing if you were servicing the reg.
<snip>

I have a G260 with original Scubapro splined jam nut. It's on an XSScuba hose. I don't believe I can remove the reg from the hose without grabbing the splined jam nut somehow. The Scubatools product I mentioned doesn't fit around the XSScuba hose fitting and therefore can't be slipped over the splined jam nut.

It appears that Scubapro hoses have smaller fittings than aftermarket ones, so the tool easily slips over the SP hose fitting and then onto the splined jam nut.

You can, just undo hose, you don't need to hold the jam nut. It'll come off unless Titan himself installed it.

(Again apologies if I've misunderstood)

I have a G260 with original Scubapro splined jam nut. It's on an XSScuba hose. I don't believe I can remove the reg from the hose without grabbing the splined jam nut somehow. The Scubatools product I mentioned doesn't fit around the XSScuba hose fitting and therefore can't be slipped over the splined jam nut.

It appears that Scubapro hoses have smaller fittings than aftermarket ones, so the tool easily slips over the SP hose fitting and then onto the splined jam nut.
If you can’t separate the two, I use a piece of leather around the Scubapro jam-nut with a pair of pliers.

If you can’t separate the two, I use a piece of leather around the Scubapro jam-nut with a pair of pliers.

Yep. I separated the two using a less elegant solution, but leather is a good recommendation and I'll use it next time.

My recent follow-up posts went into more detail because @buddhasummer asked. I'm all set though. This post confirmed that the Scubatools multi-tool does not fit over many aftermarket hose fittings.

I like the splined hose fitting and jam nut but I don’t like the hose length or stiffness of the SP hoses.

the great thing about the spline is it’s one size, with other hoses I need to keep 4 wrenches sitting there because of the odd assortment of sizes. I use Omni swivel on my primaries so those don’t use a wrench, just remember to check them before every dive.

I like the splined hose fitting and jam nut but I don’t like the hose length or stiffness of the SP hoses.

the great thing about the spline is it’s one size, with other hoses I need to keep 4 wrenches sitting there because of the odd assortment of sizes. I use Omni swivel on my primaries so those don’t use a wrench, just remember to check them before every dive.
Yes, the various sizes of generic hoses irritated me so I replaced them all with miflex hoses which are all 14mm and 17mm now I only need one spanner and unlike adjustable spanners it doesn't slip.

It does not. Neither jam nut nor hose need to be cranked down on and should undo with relative ease.
They shouldn't be cranked on but just about every reg I've bought second hand has required quite a bit to get those hoses and nuts off the reg. Several of mine are scratched now from the effort - afterwards they are just hand tightened. The 3d wrench works great - I do need to update what I have online as I reinforced it a bit more. The current online one is too flexible for the stubborn nuts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom