Question Scubapro hose spline wrench does not fit over hose fitting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Scuba Tools Scubapro Multi-Tool. The spline wrench does not appear to fit over the metal hose fittings on my LP hose. Is that expected? The hose is from XSScuba. Perhaps the spline tool only fits over Scubapro hose fittings?

I assume the correct way to use the tool is to put it around the rubber hose and slide up to the splined jam nut.

I can't imagine I'm doing it wrong, but anything is possible, so I thought I'd post.
Correct. Scubapro hoses have the splined fitting along with the splined jam nut. Ideally the splined nut should be tight enough and the hose fitting loose enough that you can use a wrench on the hose end to remove the hose. If the jam nut loosens, then a rag and pliers to hold it will allow you to remove the hose end.

The good news is that if the splined jam nut is loosened, it does not affect your level position like it would in an Apeks second stage. So just tighten it back up with your tool.

The spline wrench will not fit over most aftermarket hose fittings to get on the spline retaining nut. I simply do not tighten the hose beyond finger tight or at the most, very, very slightly with a wrench. I lubricate the hose threads with silcone grease to stave off any corrosion seizing. I remove the hoses frequently so they do not seize up. Oh, no, not with silicone and Nitrox please, I am putting the silicone on the threads, not inside the regulator in this use.

There used to be a common practice of only hand tightening a second stage hose, it has kind of gone the way of the quarter turn back on a tank valve. But finger tight and a tiny, very slight extra with a wrench is all that is needed. The result is that you can break the hose nut free without grabbing ahold of your beautiful Scubapro spline nut with pliers and duct tape and rags.

There are also rubber/plastic jaw pliers:

I have worked in scuba retail stores in various capacity and I have also been a working aviation mechanic and my hands show the wear and tear. My observation of the vast majority of non-professional "mechanics" including most scuba techs (using that very loosely) is that they over tighten most fittings and retainers to the point of damaging them or the appliance to which they are attached.

The spline wrench will not fit over most aftermarket hose fittings to get on the spline retaining nut. I simply do not tighten the hose beyond finger tight or at the most, very, very slightly with a wrench. I lubricate the hose threads with silcone grease to stave off any corrosion seizing. I remove the hoses frequently so they do not seize up. Oh, no, not with silicone and Nitrox please, I am putting the silicone on the threads, not inside the regulator in this use.

There used to be a common practice of only hand tightening a second stage hose, it has kind of gone the way of the quarter turn back on a tank valve. But finger tight and a tiny, very slight extra with a wrench is all that is needed. The result is that you can break the hose nut free without grabbing ahold of your beautiful Scubapro spline nut with pliers and duct tape and rags.

There are also rubber/plastic jaw pliers:

I haven't yet, but I've download and will 3D print a spline wrench I found online. I generally only need this for the first service as I just hand tighten all mine after servicing (and always give everything a quick pre-dive check). Many of my spline nuts are a bit worn from using conventional wrenches on them to get them off after buying stuff from torque mongers.

I have the Scuba Tools Scubapro Multi-Tool. The spline wrench does not appear to fit over the metal hose fittings on my LP hose. Is that expected? The hose is from XSScuba. Perhaps the spline tool only fits over Scubapro hose fittings?

I assume the correct way to use the tool is to put it around the rubber hose and slide up to the splined jam nut.

I can't imagine I'm doing it wrong, but anything is possible, so I thought I'd post.

I'm confused, obviously a comprehension fail on my part, why do you need the tool for the hose? If you want to undo spline nut then you'd first undo standard fitting hose nut with a spanner or such and then you have the tool to undo spline nut, which you'd only be doing if you were servicing the reg.

I don't understand the issue or is it just a general question as to why the tool won't undo your standard fitting hose?

Am I missing something? Cheers

PS I accept the possibility my brain is shorting out

I haven't yet, but I've download and will 3D print a spline wrench I found online. I generally only need this for the first service as I just hand tighten all mine after servicing (and always give everything a quick pre-dive check). Many of my spline nuts are a bit worn from using conventional wrenches on them to get them off after buying stuff from torque mongers.
I'm currently printing an update spline wrench to fit all the hoses/nuts I have. Even though I have scubapro regs (G200B and G250) the general wrench is too small for the nuts. I modified Scubapro S600 Tool (Hose spline wrench) by egeneste to the larger size. It's still printing so I can't say for full results yet but if anyone is interested: 3D design Scuba Spline Wrench | Tinkercad

By opening the end of one spline wrench I inherited somewhere I am able to slip it over the spline nut and still engage thus not needing to get it over the (non-OE) hose hex nut.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom