Scubapro Hydros - does it handle enough weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you considered a weight harness?

The prudent approach is to simply purchase spare shoulder straps so you can continue the remaining days on a liveaboard trip with your normal rig IF it fails. I suspect that is low probability, but Risk is the product of likelihood of occurrence AND severity of consequence. Only you can assess the latter.

I got a hydros pro about two years ago and have about 180 dives on it.

I have always used the built in handle + cylinder valve to lift it.

I have not been in a position where it needed to be transported by anyone other than me.

But yes, consistent lifting by a strap and it will break off. The shoulder strap pin is not heavy-duty.

But it wasn't meant to be heavy duty - thats why theres a strategic built-in-handle to lift it.

But dive operators dont know and generally dont care.

So excessive lifting from a strap and it will break.

I had a hydros briefly, but the sticky monoprene drove me to a standard BP/W which I find FAR easier to get on/off.

I suggest you consider a heavier stainless BP with your drysuit diving, which will require less lead to be carried.

hmmm why don't you unclasp shoulder strap buckles?

thats what I do, sit down, unclasp shoulder strap buckles, then unclasp waist buckle.

then when gearing, clasp shoulder clasps and waist

makes donning/doffing very simple

The prudent approach is to simply purchase spare shoulder straps so you can continue the remaining days on a liveaboard trip with your normal rig IF it fails. I suspect that is low probability, but Risk is the product of likelihood of occurrence AND severity of consequence. Only you can assess the latter.

This is good practice but easily avoidable if you do two things:

transport it on your back or carry from BCD handle + tank valve

or notify dive operator to lift from said handle

I'm on my 2nd hydros bcd, and love it for non drysuit diving. I had 1 of the early models and the eventually the piece that holds the strap did break. A couple of zip ties and I was able to finish a week of diving in Cozumel. The newer models are built better and the dive shop I work in has not had that issue with the new model.
A 120cuf tank seems to feel a bit much, but 100cuf tanks and down feel fine.

This is good practice but easily avoidable if you do two things:

transport it on your back or carry from BCD handle + tank valve

or notify dive operator to lift from said handle

In all honest, I'm not going to expect every single overworked, underpaid staff member on an Indonesian liveaboard to lift it from the handle :)

And I figure that if lifting by the straps is an issue, then so is walking long distances wearing it.

Having said that, now that they've improved the straps I have no idea how much or little of an issue this is.

Appreciate all the feedback everybody - for a couple of reasons I didn't go with the hydros even though I have every confidence it's an excellent piece of kit, so I hope this thread is useful to others int he future.

And I figure that if lifting by the straps is an issue, then so is walking long distances wearing it.
This isn't so. You are using both straps, oriented as intended rather than wrenched sideways, maybe the waist belt, and have the friction of the monoprene. Not an issue. Now, if you just sling one strap over your shoulder and merrily bounce along on your stroll to wherever you are headed, then yes, maybe you have a problem there.

This isn't so. You are using both straps, oriented as intended rather than wrenched sideways, maybe the waist belt, and have the friction of the monoprene. Not an issue. Now, if you just sling one strap over your shoulder and merrily bounce along on your stroll to wherever you are headed, then yes, maybe you have a problem there.

Yeah.

With both straps it's not an issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom