Scubapro Jets or Aqualung rocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, if you would not wear the Jet upside down I think it would help. Did you cut about four inches off the Jet because my SuperJets (Jet XL now) are about four inches longer than my Rockets. There may have been a larger Rocket, don't know for sure, mine are the standard size version.

One thing, the smaller size Jets with the shorter blades are not an equal to the Jet XL. That is one thing I would change, size L Jets should have the same balde size as the XL but they do not. Still, the Jet of any size is a better fin than the Rocket.

Notice the Jet beside the horrid Rocket.

DSCF0217.jpg

N
Gotta bring that photo out of photobucket into the scubaboard gallery for me to see it, photobucket is blocked at work and I'm on 28.8 dial up at home.

Actually my mixed set is a medium Jet and a medium Rocket, the blades are basically the same length, the only visual difference is the vents.

Funny, the one thing I would change is make the XL Jet blades the same size as the medium Jet blades, probably 8 inches shorter LOL! That's part of the reason I haven't gotten XL Jets for my dry suit, the blades are too long.

Are we still talking about fins?
:D
Ummmmm yes? :D

Ber :lilbunny:

Well......I dove Blades for a long, to me, time. Loved them. Then I needed a stiffer fin. Jets are out because they have a size gap that happens to include my foot size when I am wearing my dry suit. Turtles are in because they fit perfectly with my dry suit. I like the weight because it makes me balance perfectly. I can't tell the difference, other than fit, between a Jet and a Turtle (fin that is).

But, Turtles are too big for my warm water boots. I was going to buy a smaller size Jet. But, due to airline weight restrictions decided to try OMS Slipstreams. Yesterday I got the Slipstreams. I haven't had them in the water yet. But, I have compared them to Turtles. Slipstreams are lighter and stiffer. Both pluses for this traveling diver.

The military also pays a 1,000 dollars for a hammer. I have owned and used Rockets since they came out and still have two pairs, left over, one new and my wife has the Mini Rockets. Compared to Power Planas or Super Jets they are like wearing lead chunks on your feet. The military is not the end all know all.

The only time I would bother with Rockets is during a vintage "era" dive when I am modeling myself years ago before I knew any better.

N

OK, Nemrod and Walter, I went and got the "book" out (no, you can't have a copy) to give you the final version of CURRENT MILITARY THINKING ON FINS, AND I QUOTE:

"There are three factors to keep in mind when you are selecting a fin; the specfic design characteristics of the fin, the physical attributes particular to your body, and OPERATIONAL CONSTRAINTS. Fins, by increasing the surface area of the foot, serve to magnify the thrust delivered by the legs. Kicking with fins involves a forward stroke and a backward stroke. Several examples will illustrate how three factors interact to influence the fin selection.

SDV operations require an operator to sit with fins on for a long period of time. The operator may require thermal protection and he may have a flexible ankle. Space is limited so a shorter fin is necessary. For this situation, the operator should select a short, wide fin with a strap that can be adjusted for varying amounts of thermal wear.

Surface swimming with gear will involve a sidestroke flutterkick............when power is needed for both forward and backward kick, like in sidestoke, a straight symmetrical fin MAY be more efficient for you.

Underwater swimming involves a face down position., where the forward stroke is down and the backward stroke is up towards the surface of the water. In this position,gravity assists with the downstroke and produces a less symmetical type of thrust than seen with sidestroke kick. You should select A HIGH-TECH DIVING FIN with moderate flexibility and an integral type footbox. The fin should have an offset design to allow a more efficient transfer of prpulsion force.

For bodysurfing, use short surf fins.

PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES INFLUENCING FIN SELECTION:

If your ankle range of motion is inherently limited, long fins will assist in transmitting lower extremity forces to the water.

If your ankles are inherently flexible, short fins may be more efficient as well as LESS STRESSFUL ON ANKLE JOINTS.

Your natural kick frequency will also influence your choice of fin stiffness and size. LARGER SIZES AND STIFFNESS produces a SLOWER rate of kicking, while short FLEXIBLE fins allow a HIGHER rate of kicking.

THE FIT OF THE FIN IS CRITICAL:

If the fin is too tight, the finbox may make your foot cramp up and more susceptible to cold. If too loose, energy is lost in the slop between foot and footbox; slop also translaes into foot chafe. Booties provide grip for the foot within the footbox and the neoprene acts to even out areas where stress is concentrated.

OTHER FIN SELECTION CONSIDERATIONS:

Fins vary slightly in buoyancy; about half of sport fin models float and the remainder sink. THIS MAY BE AN OPERATIONAL CONSIDERATION. In the April 1996 Rodale's Scuba Diving fin test, fins testing as "outstanding" in the area of power included the expensive SCUBAPRO GORILLA, MARES/PLANA AVANTI, OCEAN EDGE SPECTRA and the US DIVERS BLADES.

However, so did the IDI Frog Foot and Power Fin models which have been the standard fins in the Teams for many years.

In spite of extensive research and a multiplicity of designs applied to modern fins, there are still tried and true fins that perform as well as many of the top newer models.The older, buckle-style stap fastners have the advantage of being reversible and are far less likely to foul in fishing line or seaweed than fastners on newer models, many of which have quick release buckles. The simple straps on old models have no plastic to break, are easy and inexpensive to replace and can be found in almost any dive store. These fins are also not as slippery on deck as newer designs.

All sounds like ROCKET science to me!:rofl3:

Cannot help you Ber with the Photobucket, scubabash.com does not host pics very well and this being the 21st century perhaps you and my parents are the only set of remaining humans on the planet still on dial up.

Did you always wear different color socks?

N

I recently obtained a set of rockets with spring straps (garage sale) for use at work where I gear gets tossed into a common locker (I'd rather lose my rockets than my Jets) they fit better than jets, but I didn't care for them. So I left them at work where I am usually scootering (who cares which fins when scootering) After about 3 months they had split in the foot pocket and the rubber around the spring straps started tearing to the point where the straps kept falling off ... into the trash they went ('cept for the straps which I put on a pair of Jets)

If Jets fit, I'd go with them, if you are an inbetween size the OMS slipstreams appear very nice.

Aloha, Tim

OK, Nemrod and Walter, I went and got the "book" out (no, you can't have a copy) to give you the final version of CURRENT MILITARY THINKING ON FINS, AND I QUOTE:

"There are three factors to keep in mind when you are selecting a fin; the specfic design characteristics of the fin, the physical attributes particular to your body, and OPERATIONAL CONSTRAINTS. Fins, by increasing the surface area of the foot, serve to magnify the thrust delivered by the legs. Kicking with fins involves a forward stroke and a backward stroke. Several examples will illustrate how three factors interact to influence the fin selection.

SDV operations require an operator to sit with fins on for a long period of time. The operator may require thermal protection and he may have a flexible ankle. Space is limited so a shorter fin is necessary. For this situation, the operator should select a short, wide fin with a strap that can be adjusted for varying amounts of thermal wear.

Surface swimming with gear will involve a sidestroke flutterkick............when power is needed for both forward and backward kick, like in sidestoke, a straight symmetrical fin MAY be more efficient for you.

Underwater swimming involves a face down position., where the forward stroke is down and the backward stroke is up towards the surface of the water. In this position,gravity assists with the downstroke and produces a less symmetical type of thrust than seen with sidestroke kick. You should select A HIGH-TECH DIVING FIN with moderate flexibility and an integral type footbox. The fin should have an offset design to allow a more efficient transfer of prpulsion force.

For bodysurfing, use short surf fins.

PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES INFLUENCING FIN SELECTION:

If your ankle range of motion is inherently limited, long fins will assist in transmitting lower extremity forces to the water.

If your ankles are inherently flexible, short fins may be more efficient as well as LESS STRESSFUL ON ANKLE JOINTS.

Your natural kick frequency will also influence your choice of fin stiffness and size. LARGER SIZES AND STIFFNESS produces a SLOWER rate of kicking, while short FLEXIBLE fins allow a HIGHER rate of kicking.

THE FIT OF THE FIN IS CRITICAL:

If the fin is too tight, the finbox may make your foot cramp up and more susceptible to cold. If too loose, energy is lost in the slop between foot and footbox; slop also translaes into foot chafe. Booties provide grip for the foot within the footbox and the neoprene acts to even out areas where stress is concentrated.

OTHER FIN SELECTION CONSIDERATIONS:

Fins vary slightly in buoyancy; about half of sport fin models float and the remainder sink. THIS MAY BE AN OPERATIONAL CONSIDERATION. In the April 1996 Rodale's Scuba Diving fin test, fins testing as "outstanding" in the area of power included the expensive SCUBAPRO GORILLA, MARES/PLANA AVANTI, OCEAN EDGE SPECTRA and the US DIVERS BLADES.

However, so did the IDI Frog Foot and Power Fin models which have been the standard fins in the Teams for many years.

In spite of extensive research and a multiplicity of designs applied to modern fins, there are still tried and true fins that perform as well as many of the top newer models.The older, buckle-style stap fastners have the advantage of being reversible and are far less likely to foul in fishing line or seaweed than fastners on newer models, many of which have quick release buckles. The simple straps on old models have no plastic to break, are easy and inexpensive to replace and can be found in almost any dive store. These fins are also not as slippery on deck as newer designs.

All sounds like ROCKET science to me!:rofl3:

It is often said that military and intelligence are an oxymoron, I would agree after reading all that, they need Jets, not stupid Rockets, one of the worst fins ever made. Anything a Rocket can do the Jet will do five times better. I like that little hole they put in those poser Rockets to hang them up, maybe just get a drill out and drill a hole in my old 30 year old Jets and then I will be far more advanced that the latest military walrus teams.

All that and nothing about frog kicks?

N

The military is not the end all know all. There were not any WMD in Iraq either so best sometimes check what the civies use.N

BTW, Even though Donald Rumsfeld was Secretary of Defense and Colin Powell was Secretary of State having been a former a CJCS, these two individuals rolled in to a nice cluster**** with the desk pushers over at Langley, hardly constitute "the military" and neither of them served in the Navy or the Marines, so I doubt they could hardly swim, let alone choose a fin. These people make the mistakes (or more likely have hidden agendas). "The military" then has to go and clean up the mess. With or without fins. :wink:

Don't worry though. We KNOW for a FACT that neither IRAN or NORTH KOREA have WMD and even if they did, they love America, right?:lotsalove:

Cannot help you Ber with the Photobucket, scubabash.com does not host pics very well and this being the 21st century perhaps you and my parents are the only set of remaining humans on the planet still on dial up.
It's the price of living in the middle of nowhere, we don't have cable either and can't get DSL.

Did you always wear different color socks?

N

:D

If you look closely at my avatar you'll see all of my hoses are in different colored wraps and the hose protector isn't the same color as the wrap on each hose. Most people match, I'm a little different...as if the rabbit hood didn't give THAT away :wink: (I've given up the multi-colored hose wraps)

Don't knock 'em till you mix-n-match em :rofl3:
Ber :lilbunny:

Reactions: Cfn
It may sound silly but I own both. I use the Rockets for 90% of my diving because I do a lot of rebreather diving and they are the only fins I've found that give me enough thrust but I'm a big guy and my rebreather is a sail on my back in current. My little tiny wife loves them for her rebreather diving as well but I think that's an ego (I can play with the boys who wear all black) issue for her. They work so I don't question it.

My Jet fins are the only ones I've found that have a big enough foot pocket for my DUI rock boots when drysuit diving. Again, I'm a big guy with big feet so it boils down to they fit really well and function really well.

Everyone is different, but these products are some of the best I've ever had for me and my style. I'll have a pair of each till the day I die.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom