ScubaPro KnightHawk lift question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuds

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I went to the LDS to try on some BC's to see what fit the best... I REALLY liked the ScubaPro KnightHawk. SP seemed to run a little big, so the
Small size ended up fitting me really well (5'7"), but I'm concerned about the amount of lift it provides. Looking at the sizing chart for the BC, it said that for my weight (170-175) I should be in a M or even a L. I don't know where the heck they're finding this group of people they're basing the sizing off of, but it sure isn't anywhere close for me. All that being said, if I do end up going with the small, will it be able to provide enough lift? Any recommendations? Thanks everyone!

Hi Scuds,

My son is about your size, in fact, a little lighter, and the medium fits him quite well. Fit, however is a personal thing. The small size is said to have a lift of 34 lbs whereas all sizes larger than that are said to have 46 lbs. Your lift requirement depends on all of the rest of your equipment. The 34 lbs of lift would likely be more than adequate in many circumstances.

Good diving, Craig

Tobin, from DSS has many high quality posts on BC selection that I have found very informative, cool_hardware52

Hi Scuds,
I had the same situation as you. I also really like the Knighthawk, but for me I needed it to last longer than a couple of months. The reason for that is I am still growing. I posted a thread about which B.C. to get, gave the details about me, and i got a very similar result between responses. Go with a BP/W. So I tried one out at the dive rite demo day at Dutch and my personal conclusion is that a BP/W is better. That is my opinion. Speak to Tobin, or look at OMS (i prefer oms) get some info. A back plate and wing will suit all your needs, very customizable to suit any condition.
Good Luck

A couple of points here: try to avoid a BCD that is even a little bit big. The reason for that is, with a BC that's too large, it may be impossible for you to get all the air dumped out. I've had personal experience with this. A BCD that is a little large may force you to overweight. If the BC fits, then the lift will probably be okay. You are not going to dive doubles in a Knighthawk, right? If you are adding weight because you are using a lot of neoprene, your buoyancy will be fine because the thicker wetsuits will help, as will the buoyancy of a drysuit.

But as Dori Fish mentioned, if you like the Knighthawk, you might really like a BP/W --and you can get different wings for different situations, so you get the best of both worlds. I own a Knighthawk which I only use for teaching now, but it's a great BCD and very similar to a wing because it is back inflate.

I realize everytime someone talks about getting a BC, someone pops up with an empassioned plea to buy a backplate and wing, but in your situation, unless you really truly want a jacket style BCD, the backplate may make a lot more sense.

Jeff

A caution about the wetsuit bouyancy, of course, is that with compression at depth you will loose much of the intrinsic bouyancy from the neoprene. In other words, don't use a BC or wing with too little lift counting on the bouyancy of your suit to make up for the difference. As an aside, I dive a knighthawk, and have been pleased with it from Monterey to the Carribean.

A couple of points here: try to avoid a BCD that is even a little bit big. The reason for that is, with a BC that's too large, it may be impossible for you to get all the air dumped out. I've had personal experience with this. A BCD that is a little large may force you to overweight. If the BC fits, then the lift will probably be okay. You are not going to dive doubles in a Knighthawk, right? If you are adding weight because you are using a lot of neoprene, your buoyancy will be fine because the thicker wetsuits will help, as will the buoyancy of a drysuit.

But as Dori Fish mentioned, if you like the Knighthawk, you might really like a BP/W --and you can get different wings for different situations, so you get the best of both worlds. I own a Knighthawk which I only use for teaching now, but it's a great BCD and very similar to a wing because it is back inflate.

I realize everytime someone talks about getting a BC, someone pops up with an empassioned plea to buy a backplate and wing, but in your situation, unless you really truly want a jacket style BCD, the backplate may make a lot more sense.

Jeff

Thanks, that actually helped a lot... As I said in one of my other posts, which I believe you also posted in and gave me some great info, I think the chances of me wanting to teach would come before any kind of serious, hard tech diving, so just for the fact of not wanting to spend extra money, I'm looking more at a jacket style. Thanks once again though, great info.

Scuds,
I was in Aruba and one of the instructors who was sitting on the surface teaching some people who had absolutely no clue what scuba even was, and just thought it looked cool. Now to the point, she was using a backplate, comfo harness, and a zeagle wing. I personally feel you might have an easier time using a bp/w in your local waters (assuming it is cold), but then I have never been to or near Japan. Good luck to you.

I used to dive a SP Knighthawk and it is a great BCD (actually still have it). For recreational limits diving, you will be fine in a size S. I have a friend who also dives a SP Knighthawk and is around 6' tall, but is very thin so ended up buying a size S. It looks short on him, but he finds it comfortable. He's dove it in all types of conditions including using it with a steel 100 and it's had no problems getting him back up. If you are planning on using it with doubles I would recommend getting set up with a BP/W from the beginning.

Oh, I was assuming also that you are diving with a wetsuit. I don't know much about diving with a drysuit, but I've heard you need more lift just in case your suit floods.

I was just in Okinawa a few weeks ago! Beautiful island, great food, great diving! Water was a little cold for me though. :D

I you like the Knighthawk you should try shopping around for a Back Plate and Wing (BP/W). The BP/W is identical in design and there are tons and tons of options out there. I upgraded from the BC you're looking at to an OMS BP/W and I'm glad I did. I'm 6ft and 200lbs. I was between a medium and a large in the waist and after I lost a bit of weight the cumberbun was too big and there is no adjustment to make the straps smaller around the waist.

The good thing about a build your own BP/W like OMS or any other brand is you pick and choose which items you want. You pick the bladder size, you pick the harness style and size and then you snug it to fit you. Choose the style of pockets, number of rings, etc.

There is nothing wrong with the Knighthawk but after owning one I wish I would have bought the backplate first. When you gain or loose weight its to majorly adjust the harness and if need be replace the harness straps.

OMS : OMS Technical Dive Harness Backplate Systems http://www.OMSdive.com Figures 5,6 and 9 are close to what the Knighthawk is while the rest are more traditional.

Scuba Toys carries DiveRite backplates.

A caution about the wetsuit bouyancy, of course, is that with compression at depth you will loose much of the intrinsic bouyancy from the neoprene. In other words, don't use a BC or wing with too little lift counting on the bouyancy of your suit to make up for the difference. As an aside, I dive a knighthawk, and have been pleased with it from Monterey to the Carribean.

That is true, but of course, as you begin to ascend, presumably with a tank that has less compressed air, the buoyancy of your wetsuit will increase. I have never heard of a situation in which a diver had a problem ascending because of wetsuit compression.

As an example, during cave dive training, I had to swim up a set of doubles (steel 130s as I recall) with no air in my wing or dry suit. It was tough, but I did it. And that was in less buoyant fresh water.

Then my instructor made me do it with only one fin. That sucked!

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom