scubapro litehawk/ aqualung outlaw for instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dav_0

New
Reaction score
im needing a new bcd and thinking of a lite bcd to reduce weight of baggage.

I am thinking of scubapro litehawk or aqualung outlaw.

i m not sure which one will be better since i am instructor and dive around 300 logs a year.

i want a lite bcd but it has to be strong enough

im leaning to buy outlaw, however i concern about not having pocket and no shoulder dump valve.

is there any instructor using litehawk? it would be so helpful if you give some advice on it. basically i want a stronger one.

thanks.

You might consider the new Zeagle Covert XT also as it has most of what you want. Covert XT

5jbs.
new Molle attachment point system
likely has the standard Zeagle pull shoulder dump inflator.

Last edited:
I hate to admit it, but I'm a bit of an equipment snob. I swore I would never dive a rec bc again. When my pro qd, that I use in the pool for teaching, disintegrated, I decided to try an outlaw.
And I love it. I was surprised! I'd take this to warm water diving any day. Its easily adjustable and fits great and solid. It's more webbing and less of everything else. I have no need for a shoulder dump, or anything I want to put in a pocket. I'd still rather dive sm in warm water, but otherwise I'd have no problem diving the outlaw.

+1 for the Outlaw, its best feature is its versatility. If I'm running across the street for a quick dip I can keep it light and uncluttered, or if I'm taking a class or need to bring lights reels etc, there are plenty of attachment points. The fact that it essentially "folds up" and fits nicely in a travel bag is just icing on the cake. When its just the tank and reg this thing feels like nothing at all. If I had to pick a con to list it would be the bladder. the choices are really geared toward warm water. You could potentially outweigh the lift. (if you bring 6 lights 15 knives, a cave reel as a backup for your 9 other cave reels, and a DSLR camera with more light than the sun)
All in all, ]a great travel BC IMO.

I went through this decision process recently. I like the look of the Outlaw, but I ruled it out for a couple of reasons:

- the weight pockets are difficult to put the weights back in, while in the water. That would not be good for demoing weight pocket remove/replace to students

- the lift is not enough. My teaching is mostly in cold water. Sometimes in drysuit.

I ended up getting the ScubaPro Hydros Pro and REALLY like it. I use it with the included weight pockets for teaching. For travel/warm water diving, I would replace the weight pocket waist belt with the included travel waist belt. Then, it is a nice, clean, streamlined BCD that still packs down fairly small and is not very heavy. Also, the wing has plenty of lift for cold water diving, but the bungee system keeps it pretty well streamlined for warm water diving, too. Bonuses: It is SUPER stable in the water, super comfortable, and dries almost instantly.

Back
Top Bottom