Scubapro Mk16 S550

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ambam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just purchased this used set for $200, did i get a good deal or ripped off? Im a new diver and i dont know too much. Also any insight on this setup, and can i take this to any shop that does scubapro tech with no issues? The octopus is aqualung abs

I tried searching the web for a while, but couldn't find much info. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• $(KGrHqV,!jEFDrLpLMUTBRCrlOEGFg~~60_57.jpg
    $(KGrHqV,!jEFDrLpLMUTBRCrlOEGFg~~60_57.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 145
  • $(KGrHqJ,!hQFC7g9QEKjBRCrofh+1w~~60_57.jpg
    $(KGrHqJ,!hQFC7g9QEKjBRCrofh+1w~~60_57.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 156
  • $T2eC16F,!yME9s5qE+mLBRCrnuZ+nw~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16F,!yME9s5qE+mLBRCrnuZ+nw~~60_57.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Great reg set, you got a good deal. Internally, the 550 is nearly identical to the S600 and the MK16 is internally the same as the MK 11 & 17. Any Scubapro shop can service the regs.

I saw that one selling for a good price and almost bid on it too. I've got two mk16's and one 550. Very good reg you got for a good price. I like those Cressi mini gauges too, got the pressure gauge myself. It's metal and solid.

My thoughts. I would just check the intermediate pressure (shop can do this for you) and possible take the cover off the 550 (remove plastic pin and unscrew face cover) and clean the insides out a bit. Then dive it, if IP is holding steady, for a year or so before you even service it.
But like my first sentence says, those are just my thoughts. I didn't really just tell you not to service your reg. :)

lol yeah idk if i feel comfortable doing that myself because im clueless!! If i take it to get serviced i should pay around $60 right? and it only has to be serviced yearly?

lol yeah idk if i feel comfortable doing that myself because im clueless!! If i take it to get serviced i should pay around $60 right? and it only has to be serviced yearly?
Probably closer to $100 with parts, but you only need to service every other year. You should learn to check the functionality of the reg on a regular basis. There are a couple good threads here about normal operational checks.

Don't tell the dive shop you purchased it from eBay, make up some other excuse. You could also shop around for service at some of the online vendors like DRIS, Scubatoys, or Beaverdivers. If possible I would also try to get rid of the Aqualung octo, (they breath pretty crappy) and replace it with another Scubapro product. Some LDS will give you a tough time if they are not dealers for the regs. The Cressi gauges should not be a problem as spools are pretty generic.

annual service will cost in excess of $100.Labor alone here is $59. I do not have the cost of the 3 rebuild kits for it in front of me but a good guess would be about $140.-$160.all said and done. As long as no other parts are needed besides what is in a standard rebuild kit..if hoses or anything else is needed the cost can easily go above $200.
We do not care where you got it at the LDS I teach out of. Tech here will even go online to check on its service history for you.

If possible I would also try to get rid of the Aqualung octo, (they breath pretty crappy) and replace it with another Scubapro product. Some LDS will give you a tough time if they are not dealers for the regs.

This. My LDS's older tech is still irked that I didn't buy an octo to go with my Scubapro reg. I've got a Mares MV that I received for Xmas that I'm perfectly happy with; I don't see a need to upgrade and he won't stop giving me grief about it. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom