Scubapro MK17 G260 Regulator good for beginner ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

socc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone,

Is the Scubapro MK17 G260 Regulator good for a beginner ?
Is it ok to dive with it in the cold waters of UK ?

Any other good regulators around at about the same price that are good for beginners and for cold water ?

I would appreciate your help with that.

Thanks,

Socc

Yes, the Scubapro MK17/G260 is an excellent regulator for a beginner diving in cold water. The price of the MK17/G260 is very competitive. It is an exceptional value.

Scubapro is very good.....so is Apeks, and they're made with pride in Blackburn Lancs.

Hello everyone,

Is the Scubapro MK17 G260 Regulator good for a beginner ?
Is it ok to dive with it in the cold waters of UK ?

Any other good regulators around at about the same price that are good for beginners and for cold water ?

I would appreciate your help with that.

Thanks,

Socc

Not sure what difference being a "beginner" makes.

In answer to your question the MK17/G260 is rated for cold water diving and Scubapro make some excellent regs so yes, you'd be fine.

As Fishpie pointed out Apeks, great regs and also cold water rated (all except ATX/XTX20 and Flight) and made in your back yard. I would have thought you could get them cheaper over there than Scubapro.

I would recommend Apeks XTX-50, XTX-50 or ATX-40 second with a DST or DS4 first. Their is nothing wrong performance-wise with the XTX-100 and 200 but I would not recommend them. First, they are more expensive. Second, they don't breath much different if at all from the 50. Third, if you decide you want to go into doubles their hose routing is not very good. If for some reason your heart is set on a 100 or 200, go with the 200 as the orifice is replaceable on the first stage.

---------- Post added February 12th, 2014 at 09:27 PM ----------

Not sure what difference being a "beginner" makes.

None at all. It is a marketing play to differentiate regulators. It reminds me of Sears where they used to rate products good, better, best.

To Add to ams511 post, being in the UK you can buy from Scubastore.com out of Spain who often have some very nice prices on Apeks, you can also buy 1st and 2nd stages separately. I bought an FSR (XTX200 1st stage) with two XTX 50 2nd stages. Customer service can be sketchy but just disorganized/high inventory I think.

While Scubapro mk17g260 is excellent, I have one myself, there is also Aqualung Legend Supreme at the same level and ease of breathing. Both will are very good cold water regs and will last you a dive career if taken care of properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very similar to the apeks, but at least on the EU mainland alot cheaper: Tecline R5 Ice. Can be serviced with both tecline and Apeks maintenance kits.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk

Very nice combo, will serve you for all your diving requirements and give you a lifetime of service if maintained well. I would not mind owning 2 pairs!!!

Ok perfect !
Thanks everyone for thier replies. It really helps.
I will have a look on the regulators everyone suggested and then make my mind to see what I like better !

Many thanks,

Socc

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom