ScubaPro MK25/S600 vs Apeks DS4/XTX50 or a combination?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Orans

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
El Zee's thinking about a new set-up for a single tank...

scubapro_regler_mk25_s600.jpg

LDS #1 recommends: ScubaPro MK25 combined with two S600s.

apeks-xtx50-ds4-regulator.jpg

LDS #2 recommends: Apeks DS4 combined with two XTX50s.

Yet another LDS recommends the ScubaPro MK25 combined with two XTX50s.

The MK25 has a very good hose routing but is less suited for cold water diving while the DS4 is more reliable when it come to cold water but its routing leaves something to be desired. The future may see this set being used on a single tank with two first stages similar to my set-up or even on doubles.

Your comments?

If you like the MK25 hose routing, but you want cold water performance - there's the MK19 (a MK17-like first stage, with the same hose routing as the MK25). So you get an environmentally sealed diaphragm first stage with turret.

I went on a similar path with you, but having the MK17. The hose routing on a single tank H-valve is not perfect (probably the MK19 would have been easier), but I like the fact that the MK17 is smaller. Also for a (maybe illogical) reason I am thinking about the turret as a potential point of failure (has this ever happened)?

I think that a MK19/G250V/G250V might be exactly what you are looking for.

This is what I'm talking about:

MK19 G250V - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC

(I wonder why I'm finding it only on the german site - I had to search google for MK19 restricted to site:scubapro.com to find it, as on all english versions it was missing, and it is a new product, just launched last year).

just pulled the trigger on this one 3 days ago: Scubapro Set MK19/G250V; they do carry Apeks as well
BTW, my older (present) reg is a MK25/S600

This is what I'm talking about:

MK19 G250V - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC

(I wonder why I'm finding it only on the german site - I had to search google for MK19 restricted to site:scubapro.com to find it, as on all english versions it was missing, and it is a new product, just launched last year).
I'd say not that new, I reckon that I've seen it for a fairly long time (end 2006 in a Malaysian LDS)

The Mk25/S600 combo is a nicer breathing regulator, first stage is more reliable as far as high pressure seats and the fact that it is piston. Diaphram is better for colder water in that it's sealed, but a more mechanical breathing regulator vs. Scubapro.

Scubapro MK25/S600 is good as long as the water you dive in is not freezing. Under the Ice or in freezing cold water, MK17/G250V or S600 are great options.

If the LDS 1 is offering MK25/S600 it's because they breath so good.

If you want something to go against the Apeks if you want to support LDS 1 over LDS2, do the MK17's.

If you weren't so far away, I'd offer to ship you a set because we end up selling MK17's for less than what LDS 2 in our home town sells Apeks for.

I really don't understand why Scubapro is limiting the Mk19 to certain countries... doesn't make any sense to me. Of course, neither do a lot of their other policies. Anyway, I just purchased a Mk19/G250V and it looks good. I haven't had it in the water yet, but based on other reviews on SB and TDS, I'm pretty sure I'll happy with it.

The Mk25/S600 combo is a nicer breathing regulator, first stage is more reliable as far as high pressure seats and the fact that it is piston. Diaphram is better for colder water in that it's sealed, but a more mechanical breathing regulator vs. Scubapro.
Does that mean that MK19 (or MK17) is inferior to MK25? for air delivery and HP seat reliability?
thanks to clarify.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom