Scubapro MK25/S600 vs. MK25/G250HP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rockinrebel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everybody,
I'm thinking of changing regs. sometime in the near future and would like to know Scubapro users opinions on these two regs. Thanks so much for your input.

I use the MK25/S600 and it is the best reg I have ever dived with. It's a pretty close call between that, the Aqualung Legend LX and Atomic M1 for me.

But try the MK25/S600, its a great reg

I have a Mk18/G250 and I think its a great breathing reg. During my last dive I borrowed a Mk25/S600 for my pony bottle and compared the breathing of it to my 18/250. There is a noticeable difference in the ease of breathing. My next reg purchase will be a 25/600.

Scubapro has rebates till the end of the month....

The S600 and G250HP are basically the same regulator mechanisms in different sized cases. Some believe the larger case performs a bit better. I usually can't sense any performance difference between between my G500 (same as S600) and my R109 balanced adjustable. Any noticable difference is probably an indicator of time for service. You just need to decide whether the smaller case is worth the extra $$.

I use the mk20/s600 with the r190 as a backup...great regs-easy to breathe, no change between depths, upside down etc.

Ken

The S600 and the G250HP share the same internal parts but the G250HP benefits forma larger diaphragm while the S600 has a smaller case. Breathing performance is almost identical with the G250HP having a very slight edge if properly tuned and the G250 is a better choice for cold water as the S600 is more prone to free flows in cold water.

We just had some customers come in and get a few of the 250's and when I asked why they wanted that over the 600, they told me that the 250 was easier to open up under water... Hhmmmm, and this was coming from folks I wouldn't let open up my reg on land... :wink:

The idea for them was if a diaphragm get's pinched, or something gets in it, they can open it and clean it out easier... so it was 250's for them.

scubatoys:
We just had some customers come in and get a few of the 250's and when I asked why they wanted that over the 600, they told me that the 250 was easier to open up under water... Hhmmmm, and this was coming from folks I wouldn't let open up my reg on land... :wink:

The idea for them was if a diaphragm get's pinched, or something gets in it, they can open it and clean it out easier... so it was 250's for them.

Another fear of cave divers is that the exhaust valve will get fouled with debris or that it may fold back on itself. Either scenario would obviously lead to very wet breathing. I replaced the front covers of my Mares Akros regs with the Epos style. The Epos had the knurled outer ring which simplified removal and replacement. My Apeks TX50 is also fairly easy to disassemble underwater. While I don't have any experience with the 600, I've been told that it is pretty tough to reassemble while submerged. Much of this may be a moot point, as neither myself nor any of my dive buddies have yet to "service" a reg underwater. Of course, many divers believe that you must plan for the worse case.

Greg

I have the G250HP and I wouldn't trade it in for anything. Some people say the larger size can cause jaw pain, soreness, whatever, but i have nerver noticed it and im a pretty small guy (5' 4''). If your on a budget go with the G250HP, but if your not go with the s600 or even the x650 which is an amazing breather, only ges better as you go deeper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom