Scubapro S600 technical advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmneill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
To the person who holds the knowledge: I am looking at a new Scubapro MK24/ S600 set on ebay. I have owned the combo twice in the past but never gained much technical knowledge of them.
Heres my question: The guy selling the set is a young guy that got them as a gift but never used them. Here's the thing though, as I suspected he of course did fool around with them and has admitted to leaving the inhalation assist know screwed all the way in for the last year and a half. (not correct if memory serves me) Can someone with intimate knowledge of this reg or regs in general tell me if this is going to need some sort of service, despite being "new" because of his error?
Thanks in advance!

I interesting question. Leaving the knob screwed in all the way does leave the seat in contact with the orifice. That is why you can soak that reg not under pressure only with the knob screwed in. But the pressure must be quite light. That total adjustment is about 1/16 of an inch. My recollection is the total slack in the piston balance chamber is probably closer to 1/8th inch so there should still be less force on the seat than there would be with a G250 with the knob all the way out. So I would not worry about it. BTW, my wife uses an S600. I have managed to do a reasonably good job of getting her to screw that knob in before she rinses her reg. But she rarely remembers to screw it back out for storage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your input. I used to have hard time remembering to screw it back out myself, I just never forgot for a year and half if you know what I mean.
Thanks again.

Another thing to consider is that the orings could have dried out and cracked having been stored dry for a year and a half...

While there are always exceptions, the storage environment that would produce such degradation in such a short time would have to be extremely harsh. Shelf life for EPDM is over 5 years. I am still using 10 year old EPDM o-rings with no problem. And, when o-rings start to fail, regs start to leak - not an overwhelming problem.

Oops, I just looked at your profile and now I understand your comment.

Another thing to consider is that the orings could have dried out and cracked having been stored dry for a year and a half...

Not a chance with good quality o-rings. Your shop uses those, don't they?

It should be fine, if not you can just flip the seat over

Well I went ahead and sprung for it. It's been sitting in an air conditioned closet so I'm quite comfortable with the o-rings. My only question was as to any damage that might have been done by storing it in the fashion he did. (contrary to the manual) I'll have it friday, If there are any problems I'll post back.
Thanks for the posts...

Back
Top Bottom