Scubapro Sidemount System questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnmckenzie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We just started a recreational sidemount course. For a few reasons we are using the ScubaPro sidemount system. Does anyone know this system? Even our instructor who is the most respected in our area was seeing it for the first time and somewhat confused by the ScubaPro system. We are looking to find someone that could give is tips on the best use and configuration of it. Thank you

is that a "we've already bought them and now have to figure out how to use it, or we're probably going to buy it?

If you already have it, ditch the bungee system and put loop bungees on there, figure out how to do that. If not, look at the old videos from the Nomad or the Hollis videos since they used to/still come with those types of bungees

I have trouble believing your instructor can not figure the system out. He should be familiar with many systems and the X tec is very similar to others. As recommended, have a look at the DR nomad videos, they are similar. Your instructor should be able to show you the options of securing the top of the tank to the harness and tell you the pros and cons of each. I do prefer the simplicity of looped bungee but that isn't always the best system.

Those bolt snaps on a bungee feed around the tank valve (a couple of different ways) and then clip off to the shoulder D ring. Depending if the valve is modular, has a large extension or not is how the bungee is routed.

I'll see if I can post some pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deco, shouldn't have to

The bungee system is the same as the Hollis/old Nomad/Razor.

Bottom attachment is the same as every other system with a buttplate from the Armadillo 10+ years ago, to the most modern systems.

Everything else is the same as far as use. If the instructor can't figure it out, get a new instructor, this guy clearly doesn't know enough about sidemount to teach it

Thank you tbone1004. The bungee system did make sense. That was the easy part of the system. The instructor figured that and most of it out well enough. It was just that some things e.g. what weight pockets and where to place them were a bit confusing. The instructor is very well respected and has extensive knowledge of other sidemount systems. I was mainly wanting to answer the weight pocket question and get insight from others who have had experience diving this system.
c
Deco, shouldn't have to

The bungee system is the same as the Hollis/old Nomad/Razor.

Bottom attachment is the same as every other system with a buttplate from the Armadillo 10+ years ago, to the most modern systems.

Everything else is the same as far as use. If the instructor can't figure it out, get a new instructor, this guy clearly doesn't know enough about sidemount to teach it

then say that in your original post that the configuration is mainly about the weight pockets. The unit doesn't appear to come with any weight pockets, but if you're using the scubapro weight pockets you just thread them on the way it is listed in the manual. Most sidemount guys that I know don't use weight pockets though because they get in the way.

If you have to use a lot of weight, get the Nomad or Hollis weight pockets Either of them will sex bolt in and get the weight flat against your back and up high where you want/need it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom