Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Drew,

One of my hobbies is rebuilding old ScubaPro regulators. I usually limit my habit to MK5s, MK10s, MK2s first stages, and 108, 109, 156 (Balanced Adjustable) second stages and an occasional G250 or AIR 2. I have a few of each of those models in differing cosmetic shape and differing levels of rebuild. So if you're looking for a showroom MK5/108 I've got it. If you're looking for a 109 or MK10 in pieces to play DIY regulator repair, I've got that too. Pretty much everything I currently have has at least been through the dissembled and cleaned stage, so the boring and uninteresting part has been done.

Let me know what you're interested in and we see if we can sort something out.

108%20front%20left_zpsgey7vayx.jpg

109_zpspoy1lk8g.jpg

mk5_zpszx7k7eex.jpg
I have a chance to pick up a couple sets that look just like the ones in the pictures for about $20. I love the look of the all metal body, but curious if they are good enough to dive with after getting them rebuilt?

Here is what I can get for $50. Not in as good of shape I i was told, but still look cool to me. Are any of these worth rebuilding and diving with, or better just as decorations?
20170404_113935.jpg
20170404_113946.jpg

If you're going to have a dive shop rebuild them, then you are likely to regret your purchase-even at the initial cost of $20. However, if you're into DIY you'll recoup your investment many times over in joy alone. After servicing them, you'll find they perform as well as most of the plastic-fantastics available today.

I'm speaking of the MK2/108. I'll let someone more knowledgeable than me chime in for the USD/AL set; but I'd bet the sentiments are similar.

Last edited:
If you're going to have a dive shop rebuild them, then you are likely to regret your purchase-even at the initial cost of $20. However, if you're into DIY you'll recoup your investment many times over in joy alone. After servicing them, you'll find they perform as well as most of the plastic-fantastics available today.

I'm speaking of the MK2/108. I'll let someone more knowledgeable than me chime in for the USD/AL set; but I'd bet the sentiments are similar.
Ok i will see if op is interested in them. If not I may see about rebuilding the scubapro. Where can I find parts?

The USD regs are the early Calypso's. They are a balanced diaphragm first stage. The HP seat is hard to come by but that said, it's a good chance at least one of them has a seat that is OK. It may be possible to resurface the seat, some designs you can, but I have not tried that particular seat. The rest of the parts like the diaphragm and orings are pretty easy to come by.
The second stages are basic down stream design. The only replaceable parts are the seat (common), diaphragm (standard USD, common and most likely good) and the exhaust valve, again common so they are easily serviceable. Not great performers but still worth tinkering with.
Both appear to have a neat option, there is a high pressure "pin" gauge in them. You can see it in the photos but you have to know what you are looking for to see them.

It is a pressure gauge. it has a small pin that is moved out by the tank pressure, the farther it's out, the higher the tank pressure is. It's been a while since I saw one but seems like it was marked 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full but don't hold me that that. The purpose was not to check your pressure during the dive but rather to know how much you had in the tank before starting the dive. You have to remember this reg comes form the days when J valves were used instead of SPGs. The port is 3/8-24 which is the old HP hose standard so it can be remove and a SPG installed in the port using an old style hose (still available from Trident ) or a modern hose with an adapter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom