Scubapro vs. Aqualung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I choose ScubaPro, although both are good quality. Not happy with AquaLung's policies... do a search to see more details.

I used Aqualung reg and BC in training and once in Coz for two dives. I own Scuba Pro and Scuba Pro is superior (IMO). Not even close.
I found the Aqualung reg to breath very dry and not as easily as my Scuba Pro.

I currently have MK25/S650 and have dove with an Aqua Lung legend before I purchased the SP. I would purchase the SP MK17/600 or 650 if I was purchasing a new reg. I have never dove with the MK17 but my dive buddy has one and loves it. Says best reg he ever dove with and he has been diving for more than 30 years. He owns his own dive shop and is an instructor has access to all Apeks, Aqua Lung and scuba Pro. His current reg. is MK17/S600

Carribeandiver:
I used Aqualung reg and BC in training and once in Coz for two dives. I own Scuba Pro and Scuba Pro is superior (IMO). Not even close.
I found the Aqualung reg to breath very dry and not as easily as my Scuba Pro.

Just bought the Aqualung Legend LX ACD. Got it for myself as a Christmas/birthday present. Don't like it terrible dry mouth, like this fella I quoted is saying. I wish I would have went with the ScubaPro as I borrowed my girlfriend's and loved it. The ACD is what pushed me to go with the AQ - but I don't think it is worth the cotton mouth I am having while diving.

Missdirected:
The ACD is what pushed me to go with the AQ - but I don't think it is worth the cotton mouth I am having while diving.

How on earth can one regulator cause dry mouth and another one not? Do other regulators have some sort of humidification feature I'm not familiar with?

Assuming that a reg doesn't leak it simply delivers the bone dry air from the tank. Can't see how one reg can be better or worse on this measure, though am opened to being enlightened on the topic.

RJP:
How on earth can one regulator cause dry mouth and another one not? Do other regulators have some sort of humidification feature I'm not familiar with?

Assuming that a reg doesn't leak it simply delivers the bone dry air from the tank. Can't see how one reg can be better or worse on this measure, though am opened to being enlightened on the topic.

Honestly, all I can tell you is every time I have been diving with the new reg that is a problem. Take it or leave it, like it or not.

Missdirected:
Honestly, all I can tell you is every time I have been diving with the new reg that is a problem. Take it or leave it, like it or not.

Could it be an artifact of a different mouthpiece causing you to hold your mouth open differently or drawing air across your tongue differently or something.

Also, could be that dopey "comfo-bite" mouthpiece with the piece of rubber that sits up on the roof of your mouth. I swapped mine for an Atomic mouthpiece and much prefer it.

I mean seriously, there's nothing about the reg itself that could "cause" dry mouth.

xiSkiGuy:
Flip a coin. Both are excellent regs.

I have a MK17/X650 that is my current favorite reg. I also have an Apeks XTX200 and I have used the AL Legend several times. All of them perform superbly.

Same for me,
The shop I work thru sells them both, I've had the chance to use AQ they're great regs.
Personally I too use SP either MK10's/R190 or MK17's/R190. Have a MK25/D400 for single tank use.

RJP:
I mean seriously, there's nothing about the reg itself that could "cause" dry mouth.

I don’t know what could be different between does two regulators, but I thought that it was well known that a metal second stage will condense some of the exhaled moisture. This moisture will in turn help humidify the inhaled air.

Dry mouth is one of the disadvantages of plastic second stages.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom