Scubapro X-tek Form Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDownD3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I bought a used BP/W setup that had a Scubapro X-Tek Form harness (see link below...side note that's insane what they charge just for that harness. That's what I paid for the whole setup). While I find it ok, it has some issues. Granted I'll admit some of them could have been eliminated if I would have added a crotch strap. Regardless, I've decided to go HOG. Figured I might as well as I eventually plan to get into wreck pentatration.

I've looked through a bunch of old threads and the Scubapro website and I couldn't find what the buoyancy characteristics of the harness are. Should I assume it is positive? I've got to imagine with all that foam it has to be, though that could be negated when that foam got wet. Just curious how much weight I can hope to get off my waist by going with the one piece harness.

As always any advice is greatly appreciated.

Scubapro X-Tek Form Tek Harness System

Okay let me start (in what is bound to be a thread of many opinions)

I don't use the scuba pro harness but I use a similar dive rite.

Your question about how much weight you'll save by going Hog. None.

The foam is supposed to be neutrally buoyant as are the pads. In practice this isn't so. The rear back pad may be worth 1-2 lbs of weight. I certainly take mine off in the winter for DS diving and put it back on in the summer for thin exposure suit diving.

A true hog harness only has 3 D-rings. The Scuba Pro has a few extra. All thick steel ones so these add weight consequently I would suggest you'll end up adding some weight - maybe 2lbs.

If you go hog remember you will need the crotch strap.

As a harness its a fine bit of kit - although not Dir, but do you need pure Dir at this point?. I don't know what issues you are having, I'm not trying to dissuade you from your decision, but I may be able to assist you further.

Regards

I appreciate the detailed reply and I had some suspensions that it may come out even.
As far as the issues, its mostly the difference in fit between on the boat and down the water column. It has to be super tight on the boat making getting in and out a PITA. When I'm at depth it's pretty loose. Like I said in my OP, I know these issues could be fixed with a crotch strap.
As far as right now, you're right I don't probably don't need a DIR approach at this point, but the one thing I've read on here over and over is kit yourself not for the diver you are now but the diver you want to be. I live in NC, so my diving is strictly wreck. It's only a matter of time until I'm going to want to pentatrate the wrecks. I can see where the HOG is more desireable in those dives because you can adjust it your personal fit and its easier to stow lights and other accessories by just ading sone bungee cord.
I'm not completely dismissing the Form harness. I just figured I'd give HOG a try, if it doesn't work for me I'll just go back to the Form harness. The only thing I'll be out of is $30 for the webbing.

I don't disagree with any of your points on wanting to try the HOG harness, I used to have one but migrated away for othe reasons.

I suspect the prime concern being fit is cause by incorrect adjustment, and expectations of fit. The main work of retaining the harness in the water ( on Hog and the comfort harness) is done by the waist belt and crotch strap. Indeed the fitting of both is exactly the same with the exception that the shoulder straps are easier to adjust on the form harness.

The shoulder straps don't need to be that tight. You should be able to get your fist underneath them

The sternum strap should run horizontally across your chest at nipple height. after you put your arms through the shoulder straps its the first thing you clip up.

I've attached a video for adjusting the Dive rite harness which is very similar (although doesn't have a back plate), it's worth having a look - It took me a couple of dives to get mine just so with the correct length of the shoulder straps. The same is very much true for the Hog harness - if it isn't correctly set up it'll be weird on the surface and underwater. You need the back plate in the correct position (top edge level with your shoulder blades)

Anyhow have a go just in case.

Regards

Once again, I appreciate the time you took to go over everything. Definitely gave me some things to consider. I'm meeting with a guy from my LDS on Friday to help me adjust the harness.

i don't really understand your question.

you have a harness that you know you don't want to keep but you're asking about its characteristics?

why not buy the harness you want, go in the water next the boat or the shore do some simple buoyancy checks and then
fine tune over time?

i really can't see a harness being that much of an influence, when you weigh up, wetsuit, booties, gloves, hood, tank, etc etc.

fyi dir harness will have 5 d rings.

DIR Zone Harness Kit

i don't really understand your question.

you have a harness that you know you don't want to keep but you're asking about its characteristics?

why not buy the harness you want, go in the water next the boat or the shore do some simple buoyancy checks and then
fine tune over time?

I still plan to do that. I guess I thought it wouldn't be a big deal to ask if someone on this board has had experience with making this transition. It's not like this is a wetsuit with a difference size. This is a stock piece of gear, should result in +/- buoyancy with each one. Just wanted to have an idea.

i really can't see a harness being that much of an influence, when you weigh up, wetsuit, booties, gloves, hood, tank, etc etc.

Thanks. All I was looking for.

Mine did not come with one. Granted I bought mine used, so the original owner may have removed it

Mine did not come with one. Granted I bought mine used, so the original owner may have removed it
New comes standard with a crotch strap. It is supposed to work with a crotch strap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom