ScubaPulse Survey Results: 2016 outlook for the dive industry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
As you may know, I recently fielded the first quartely ScubaPulse survey for 2016. Through the ScubaPulse survey program I'm hoping to develop and provide a sort of "leading economic indicator" for the dive industry. This is the third quarter I've conducted this program, which has met with very high interest and participation. The Q1-2016 version received almost 3,000 completed responses (2,997 to be exact) which is up from roughly 2,000 responses for the Q4-2015 survey. The results of each survey have been very interesting, too.

I'm just starting to analyze the data from the Q1 version, but I thought people would be interested in seeing some of the high-level/top-line findings. I'll continue to add to this thread as I go through the data.

The first thing that jumped right out at me was divers' anticipated change in 2016 spend on Dive Gear, Dive Training, and Dive Travel... as compared to what they spent last year in 2015.

As you can see, it would appear than 2016 spending will be
  • Down for Dive Gear, with more than 1/3rd of divers saying they will spend less in 2016 than in 2015.
  • Slightly up for Dive Training, with just less than 1/3rd of divers saying they will spend more in 2016 than in 2015.
  • Significantly up for Dive Travel, with almost half of divers surveyed indicating they will spend more in 2016 as compared to what they spent in 2015.
Q4+ScubaPulse+TOTAL+DRAFT+1-25.jpg

Interestingly, this trend is essentially the same across all income levels. There's not even a significant difference in the "Increased Spend" categories between any income level until you get into the "$500,000 and up" annual income, where there's a slightly higher anticipated increase in spend on gear in 2016 as compared to lower income levels.

There also does not seem to be a difference between US and Rest-Of-World (~75% and ~25% of respondents, respectively.)

Will be interested to see what people think about the data above, and the rest of it as I continue to analyze.

Feel free to ask questions, suggest sub-analyses, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom