Scubatools: Dual Drive Adjusting Tool and Scubapro Balanced Chamber Tool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carlos.carvalho

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've browsed the Scubatools website and I've found they have two tools:
  • Dual Drive Adjusting Tool (SKU: 20-500-200)
  • Scubapro Balanced Chamber Tool (SKU: 20-550-200)
I'vee read the Dual Drive Adjusting Tool can service several brand of regulators, including Scubapro (as mentioned in some Scubapro service manuals). What can the Scubapro Balanced Chamber Tool do more?

Do I need both tools or the first one is enough?

Thanks for your help,

Carlos Carvalho

Hello Carlos,

Help us to help you by telling us what make and model of regulator(s) you will be servicing. For instance, almost all of my second stages are Scuba Pro Balanced Adjustable (156) or 109s. No balance chamber tool is required. An inline adjuster is handy but also not required. What type of maintenance will you be doing? Will you be setting up a shop to work on lots of regulators or just "do it yourself" service on your own personal gear? If you are just servicing your own personal equipment every few years it may be money better spent on other tools.

Good luck,

Couv

The balanced chamber tool is designed to adjust the poppet spring on certain Scubapro demand valves which use the anti-set piston design. This does not include any regulators in current production of which I am aware. A technician might be able to furnish more information on current production designs. However, I expect that you know which regulator(s) that you service.

Like Pesky said above, they are different tools. They look similar, but they have different purpose.

Also like Couv said, neither one is totally essential, but I would not like going back to the days before I had an in line adjustment tool. I actually have two different kinds, one is the "Dual Drive Adjusting Tool" as shown (it is a great tool). Having the right tool (or making the right tool) makes the job a lot easier, quicker, and a lot more fun.

I don't have the "Scubapro Balanced Chamber Tool" since I don't have any of those regulators. All my Scubapro are metal 109 (or 156) and a few D400.

Dual Drive Adjusting Tool

The Scuba Tools Dual Drive Inline Adjusting Tool is "light years" ahead of other inline adjusting tools on the market. It is loaded with exclusive features and will fit nearly every second stage that utilizes an adjustable orifice, both new and old. Check out and compare these features: The Dual Drive Adjusting Tool is designed to fit "both slotted and hex broached orifices". The slotted drive bit is machined to index with all slotted orifices. This includes Oceanic and older orifices that utilize a narrow drive slot (.034"). The hex drive bit will fit all 3/16"-5mm (.188-.197) broached orifices. The bit is machined with a slight taper to accommodate this size range. To change the tool from slotted to hex drive, simply reverse the fitting on the end of the tool. Since this fitting seals internally, it is installed "hand tight" and no tools are required to make the conversion (see illustration). Pneumatically Balanced: The Dual Drive Adjusting Tool utilizes a "flow through" spool. The flow through design balances the air pressure between the hose and the second stage.

SKU: 20-500-200

540.jpg

Scubapro Balanced Chamber Tool

The Scuba Tools Balanced Chamber Adjustment Tool was designed specifically to modify the amount of spring force applied to the back of the Scubapro G500, S600, S600T, &G250HP poppets.

SKU: 20-550-200

20-550-200.jpg

Last edited:
I have the dual drive orifice adjuster at work. It is without a doubt the best non-specialty tool we have. I would recommend it for anybody who makes a living servicing regulators.

I have done lots of Scubapro second stages, and never used the balance chamber tool. Never even seen one. Scubapro has a means of tensioning the spring without this tool, and I just use the orifice adjuster (dual drive) in conjunction with a good ole Mk. 1 flathead screwdriver to adjust cracking effort to spec. Works every time!

Sorry for the delay but for any reason I can’t explain, I missed you answers.

The question was regarding G250 (connected to a MK20) for the moment and for all regulators in a near future.

Regards,

Carlos Carvalho

The Balance Chamber Tool is only used on the G500 as far as I know.

And the G250 HP and the S600 That would be the first one made. They changed them so the newer ones do not use it anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom